Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Excellent choice to be dropped at Ploce gate side of town. However since the cable car was not open on your last visit, it would be better to drop you at the entrance. This is located just above the Ploce area and you can walk down to the old town after spending time enjoying the view from the top of Mt. Srd.

Enjoy!

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Perfect! Something new in Dubrovnik. Thank you!

Dubrovniktravelady - I know the taxis accept Euros for our ride from Gruz, but unless the cable car ticket office accepts credit cards, I assume we will need Kunas. If so, do you know if there is an ATM located near the cable car station? The last time we were in Dubrovnik, I withdrew Kunas not far from St. Blaise church but I'm unfamiliar with what is available outside the walls! Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by Terpnut

Dubrovniktravelady - I know the taxis accept Euros for our ride from Gruz, but unless the cable car ticket office accepts credit cards, I assume we will need Kunas. If so, do you know if there is an ATM located near the cable car station? The last time we were in Dubrovnik, I withdrew Kunas not far from St. Blaise church but I'm unfamiliar with what is available outside the walls! Thanks so much in advance!

Check the cable car website, it may now have the ability to issue tickets online. There is no ATM machine near the entrance, but there are several at the port. Cable car does accept credit cards but have no idea if the cafe up top does or does not. You may want to have some Kunas just in case.

Dubrovnik lady, thanks to your help previously, we know to take the No.8 bus from Gruz port to Victoria. Will it be acceptable to pay using a 200 kuna note or will we need smaller denominations? We already have the note from our trip last year. If we do need smaller coins, then can we exchange the note at the bus station? Many thanks.

Dubrovnik lady, thanks to your help previously, we know to take the No.8 bus from Gruz port to Victoria. Will it be acceptable to pay using a 200 kuna note or will we need smaller denominations? We already have the note from our trip last year. If we do need smaller coins, then can we exchange the note at the bus station? Many thanks.

You can buy a bus ticket for 12 Kuna at any of the small newsstands located at the port. Trying to buy with 200 Kuna could easily wipe out the entire change the bus driver has and he will not be happy. Please do have the exact change of 15 Kuna if you buy from the driver.

Once you buy a ticket to walk the walls can you walk it go down to do something else and come back up again to go to the bar without buying another ticket.

Once you begin the wall walk, you will need to continue until you reach the halfway point. There are only 3 exits on the wall, two are very close and midway between the main entrance and the halfway point, walk is only done counter clockwise.

They may have changed the rules this year, I am not sure but once up you can go down but must return within one hour to the same exit. Walk the wall, finish it or go down at the halfway point and visit the old part of town. The wall is only 2 kilometers and the old part of town is small within the wall.

Perhaps the map will give you a sense of the size of the old town and the walls.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Hi Dubrovnik Lady,

Is the lineup for the cable ususally long?

Is it walkable from the cable car station to the Pile Gate of the wall and how long will be the walk?

If I want to walk the seaside of the wall, is there an exit midway between the Pile Gate and the Ploce Gate?

Will 3 hours be enough to go up the cable car and walk part of the seasid of the wall?

We want to do the sea kayaking tour in the morning and wonder if we would still have enough time to the above in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi Dubrovnik Lady,

Is the lineup for the cable ususally long?

Is it walkable from the cable car station to the Pile Gate of the wall and how long will be the walk?

If I want to walk the seaside of the wall, is there an exit midway between the Pile Gate and the Ploce Gate?

Will 3 hours be enough to go up the cable car and walk part of the seasid of the wall?

We want to do the sea kayaking tour in the morning and wonder if we would still have enough time to the above in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

From the cable car you can walk down the 100 steps to the road, bear left and walk down to the Ploce entrance which is closest and less busy. You will then enter the old part of town and from the arch to the Pile gate main entrance is a short easy stroll. The cruise shuttle buses drop ALL passengers at Pile Brsalje (square) and the crowds are massive. Walking thru the old part of town will allow the opportunity to stop for a visit at Sponza Palace to visit the free memorial to our fallen during the 1991 homeland war. Sponza is the very first building on the right hand side after the arch.

Once up on the wall, it is walked counter clockwise and the first exit is located just above the Maritime Museum. Check out the old harbor, go down the steps and check out the garden and faux guitone and leave some change for the man who feeds the stray cats and tends the garden.

You should have enough time as it normally takes one hour to do the sea side of the wall. Enjoy my home, I certainly do everyday.

How much is the cable car in dubvronik?

When we arrive at the cruise port is it best to do the cable car first then head to the old town?

Also how far is the cable car to the old town ? Walking distance maybe?

Thank you

This website will answer your questions.

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Hi Dubrovnik Lady,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Your information is really helpful.

I remember reading in one of the earlier posts (I can't find it now as this thread is so long) that The Wall closes at 3 p.m. Is that true? If that's the case, I will have to walk The Wall first before doing the cable car.

If I want to just walk the seasid of The Wall, I need to enter at the Pile Gate, right? Will it be easy to find a taxi back to the ship after getting off the Ploce Gate or the Maritime Museum? How long does it take to cab back to the ship?

Thank-you again for your help.

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

Just reporting back to say thank you for all your help. We visited Dubrovnik earlier this month and enjoyed it! Lovely town and very clean. The weather was cloudy with a few sprinkles here and there...nothing major. I had planned on taking a taxi to the cable car, but we got talked into a panoramic tour via taxi instead. :rolleyes: We enjoyed it though. We then walked the old town. I did try some of the sugar covered almonds you had mentioned several pages back....DELICIOUS!!!

Have a great one and thank again! :D

Hi Dubrovnik Lady,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Your information is really helpful.

I remember reading in one of the earlier posts (I can't find it now as this thread is so long) that The Wall closes at 3 p.m. Is that true? If that's the case, I will have to walk The Wall first before doing the cable car.

If I want to just walk the seasid of The Wall, I need to enter at the Pile Gate, right? Will it be easy to find a taxi back to the ship after getting off the Ploce Gate or the Maritime Museum? How long does it take to cab back to the ship?

Thank-you again for your help.

Checked your arrival date, appears you will be here in August. The wall closes down at 1930 during high season and August is very much high season. Make sure you have a good sun hat, water and sun screen. The wall closes down during winter at 1500, open now from 0800 until 1930. Enjoy.

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady,

Just reporting back to say thank you for all your help. We visited Dubrovnik earlier this month and enjoyed it! Lovely town and very clean. The weather was cloudy with a few sprinkles here and there...nothing major. I had planned on taking a taxi to the cable car, but we got talked into a panoramic tour via taxi instead. :rolleyes: We enjoyed it though. We then walked the old town. I did try some of the sugar covered almonds you had mentioned several pages back....DELICIOUS!!!

Have a great one and thank again! :D

The sugar coated almonds get me every time I visit the green market. Still have not mastered the art of cooking them, but I am working on it. Good to hear you enjoy your time here, weather has been very poor for the past week. Wind and rain and no sun, strange weather for our area.

Hi -

We are 7 adults and 3 children (6, 8, 11). Any thoughts on transportation from port.

We are coming in on the Carnival Sunshine on 7/26 from 7-5. I didnt see it on the port schedule.

I am thinking we should do the city walls first due to the heat. Then take the cable car. Do you agree? Which wall enterance would you suggest? I am thinking it wont be bad if we get off the boat early.

I would like to get lunch and go swimming, if possible at the same time at one of those water holes/restaurants Where would you recommend? Not looking for gourmet but good local cuisine.

I would like to do a little shopping around town if time still permits.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Debbie

Once again I’m planning a cruise in Europe and once again I’m indebted to this forum and the wonderful folks who patiently reply to what must seem the same endless questions. So thanks in advance to anyone who can hold my hand here.

I’ve read through most of this thread and have come up with a plan for my day in Dubrovnik. I’d appreciate it if someone can chime in whether I’m on target or not, and give me some feedback on my questions (bolded).

I’ll be there for one full day later this summer, arriving on board the Celebrity Silhouette. Although the port site says we arrive at 1:00, the Celebrity site says 8:00 a.m., and since we’re just sailing down from Split, I’m going with 8:00. My goal is to see as much of the town as possible and get a feel for it. My plan is:

•  
  • Go from the berth at Gruz by taxi to the cable car entrance. Fare should be about 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. That’s the fare to town—I assume that also means the cable car, no? Cable car should be about 160 Kuna for two.
  • Take in the town from the top of Mt. Srd (Yikes! No vowels!). After descending, do the walls by walking to the closest gate—Ploce. 180 Kuna for two. Since we go counterclockwise, this will take me past Pile and allow me to see a little bit of the sea wall. Something I haven’t figured is, can you exit the walls at other than the entry points? Can I exit at Ft. Bokar and go into old town and wander a bit? Otherwise I have to either go clockwise back to Pile or do the full circle.
  • Wander around old town, buy the requisite kitchen magnet, and maybe get something to drink.
  • Return to ship. Since it’s now going downhill, I was thinking of walking if time permits, otherwise, it’s a taxi, and again, I assume 75 Kuna.

Thoughts?

Edited by Harry Cane

Hi -

We are 7 adults and 3 children (6, 8, 11). Any thoughts on transportation from port.

We are coming in on the Carnival Sunshine on 7/26 from 7-5. I didnt see it on the port schedule.

I am thinking we should do the city walls first due to the heat. Then take the cable car. Do you agree? Which wall enterance would you suggest? I am thinking it wont be bad if we get off the boat early.

I would like to get lunch and go swimming, if possible at the same time at one of those water holes/restaurants Where would you recommend? Not looking for gourmet but good local cuisine.

I would like to do a little shopping around town if time still permits.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Debbie

You will need to prebook a mini van, no taxis can accommodate 7 passengers.

Checking the port authority website, I do see Carnival arriving from 0700 to 1900.

July will be hot and hotter, no escaping it. You may want to do the wall early as possible before the sun cooks the stone wall and paths. I strongly suggest you enter at the main entrance which is closest to Pile gate entrance. Walk counter clockwise will give you the sea side of the old town and perhaps a slight sea breeze if you're lucky. You can go down at the Ploce exit and make your way up to the cable car entrance.

As a local resident I cannot recommend any specific restaurants as per rules of cruise critic. Sounds like you are thinking of swimming at one of the Buza bars, ie swimming holes. The bars do not serve food, only drinks. As for swimming there, it is jump off the rocky coast and into very, very deep water. Unless you are a strong swimmer it is not the place for small children to swim. Take your children to Banje beach where they can walk into the water and do understand that we have no sandy beach here, only pebbles so bring swim shoes.

If looking for souvenirs, try to find locally made items which are not in any of the main promenade shops, use the side alleys to find the better value items. That is true of restaurants also, the good local foods are found on the small side streets.

Enjoy!

Once again I’m planning a cruise in Europe and once again I’m indebted to this forum and the wonderful folks who patiently reply to what must seem the same endless questions. So thanks in advance to anyone who can hold my hand here.

I’ve read through most of this thread and have come up with a plan for my day in Dubrovnik. I’d appreciate it if someone can chime in whether I’m on target or not, and give me some feedback on my questions (bolded).

I’ll be there for one full day later this summer, arriving on board the Celebrity Silhouette. Although the port site says we arrive at 1:00, the Celebrity site says 8:00 a.m., and since we’re just sailing down from Split, I’m going with 8:00. My goal is to see as much of the town as possible and get a feel for it. My plan is:

•  
  • Go from the berth at Gruz by taxi to the cable car entrance. Fare should be about 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. That’s the fare to town—I assume that also means the cable car, no? Cable car should be about 160 Kuna for two.
  • Take in the town from the top of Mt. Srd (Yikes! No vowels!). After descending, do the walls by walking to the closest gate—Ploce. 180 Kuna for two. Since we go counterclockwise, this will take me past Pile and allow me to see a little bit of the sea wall. Something I haven’t figured is, can you exit the walls at other than the entry points? Can I exit at Ft. Bokar and go into old town and wander a bit? Otherwise I have to either go clockwise back to Pile or do the full circle.
  • Wander around old town, buy the requisite kitchen magnet, and maybe get something to drink.
  • Return to ship. Since it’s now going downhill, I was thinking of walking if time permits, otherwise, it’s a taxi, and again, I assume 75 Kuna.

Thoughts?

I began to answer questions in May 2009, three years have passed already and you are right the same questions are posted over and over. I would imagine the post takes time to read and what was true three years ago may not be the same today, as far as fees go.

I do believe taxi will charge slightly more for a drop at the cable car, not sure.

Celebrity should be have the correct arrival time here, our website is posted early in the year and often times do change.

Cable car fees are now 94 Kuna per person, they accept credit cards. Mt Srd is a unique word, it is pronounced 'surge' as the d has a line which changes the sound. I must do some research to find out how the name originated, could make for a good post to my blog.

Once you enter the wall at Ploce, you will do the land side first climbing to the highest point Minceta tower, view is awesome. Then you will at the main entrance nearest to Pile, walking the sea side - my favorite. Next exit will be at Sveti Ivan (St. John) and the Maritime museum. You can go down at that exit and will be in the old part of town nearest to our Cathedral.

The walk down to the Gruz harbor is downhill but not worth the workout. Take a cab or if you are adventurous try our local bus. Need to have 15 Kuna per person for the fare.

Please try to find something other than a kitchen magnet, they are not made here and imported from China (ugh)! You will find lovely lavender sachets, oils and candied almonds at the green market if you get there before noon.

Enjoy

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady! I really appreciate explaining the beach...the water holes would have been a mistake.

Deb

You will need to prebook a mini van, no taxis can accommodate 7 passengers.

Checking the port authority website, I do see Carnival arriving from 0700 to 1900.

July will be hot and hotter, no escaping it. You may want to do the wall early as possible before the sun cooks the stone wall and paths. I strongly suggest you enter at the main entrance which is closest to Pile gate entrance. Walk counter clockwise will give you the sea side of the old town and perhaps a slight sea breeze if you're lucky. You can go down at the Ploce exit and make your way up to the cable car entrance.

As a local resident I cannot recommend any specific restaurants as per rules of cruise critic. Sounds like you are thinking of swimming at one of the Buza bars, ie swimming holes. The bars do not serve food, only drinks. As for swimming there, it is jump off the rocky coast and into very, very deep water. Unless you are a strong swimmer it is not the place for small children to swim. Take your children to Banje beach where they can walk into the water and do understand that we have no sandy beach here, only pebbles so bring swim shoes.

If looking for souvenirs, try to find locally made items which are not in any of the main promenade shops, use the side alleys to find the better value items. That is true of restaurants also, the good local foods are found on the small side streets.

Enjoy!

Thanks, Lady.

One more question I forgot to ask, and another triggered by your reply.

I prefer to pay cash during my trip. Is there a currency exchange office near the dock? I think I can exchange on board the ship, but they usually have terrible rates.

My second question concerns the bus. I'm always game for local transportation. What number do I take? Do they run frequently?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Lady.

I prefer to pay cash during my trip. Is there a currency exchange office near the dock? I think I can exchange on board the ship, but they usually have terrible rates.

My second question concerns the bus. I'm always game for local transportation. What number do I take? Do they run frequently?

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend taking taxis versus the local bus, and using Euros on the taxis (they take them!). You can get your Kunas via ATM either at the dock or in town. Many places take Euros or credit cards so I wouldn't get too many Kunas unless you either plan to make a lot of purchases at the market or have other Croatian ports later in your itinerary.

Thanks, Lady.

Thanks in advance.

The exchange houses and banks are not the best places for a decent exchange rate. I assume you will be bring US dollars, the average exchange right now is about 5.5. Of course it does change daily and I have seen it as high as 6 but as low as 4 last year.

There are several banks down in the Gruz harbor, but you will be wasting so much of your limited time here it is best for you to consider a taxi.

You can take our local Libertas bus #8 and it does stop at the main bus terminal in the Gruz harbor. Be prepared with 15 Kuna fee per person, do not try to change large denominations on the bus. You can buy a bus ticket from any of the kiosks located on the main road. Bus will be running about once a hour and make sure you ask to be put off at the cable car entrance.

Taxi is the best option, fare is about 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. They are privately owned and will take Euros but no dollars. Do keep in mind there is more to Dubrovnik than the cable car and the city wall.

Enjoy