Recycle old lenes to A350

This may be a dumb question but can you use lenes fron a Minolta XGM with the new Digital A350? I've seen it written that you can use the AF lenes and wondered if you could use the others if you turn off the auto focus. I just take pictures for fun and I have a good collection of lenes for my XGM. Thanks for any help.

Unlike the Pentax and Nikon AF mount that never changed physical dimensions when autofocus was introduced, the MC and MD lenses from pre-Maxxum minolta film camera require an adapter to fit on the Minolta/Sony A-mount. Because of the considerable difference in the mount the adapters require a corrective lens to re-focus the image. This introduces a fair reduction in quality. I would personally recommend against using them. I sold all of my MC lenses when I got a Maxxum AF camera in the 80s and never regretted it.

Dave

Thank you Sir. I had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to do it. Now I just have to figure out what I want and how to get it and not have to sleep in the dog house that we don't have.:D

Thank you Sir. I had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to do it. Now I just have to figure out what I want and how to get it and not have to sleep in the dog house that we don't have.:D

A good solution for the A350 might be the SAL18250. Incredible zoom range and remarkable quality for something with that range.

At 18mm-250mm (24mm-375mm equivalent on the A350), it covers a lot of lenses and is a good walk-around lens for times when you don't want to carry a bunch of different lenses or change them.

It might hold you for a while until you decide what specific lenses you want for specific purposes and keep you out of the doghouse you would have to build...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SAL18250-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Magnification/dp/B000VUFDPG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244582822&sr=8-1

Enjoy your Alpha!

Dave

Archived