Beginning SCUBA excursion Question

h2odad

Carnival offers a 'Beginning SCUBA' excursion in each of it's Western Caribbean Ports of Grand Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, & Isle Roatan. Has anyone experienced any of those, and have feedback?

The beginner Scuba in Belize is a PADI Discover Scuba Diving Program. This includes about half hour classroom theory and intro to SCUBA lesson & video, equipment review, intro to Scuba in shallow water, and a guided tour at the Barrier Reef no deeper than 40 feet. Once completed you earn credits valid for a year toward your PADI Open Water Scuba Certification. Hugh Parkey's, the Belize operator, also offers a 10% discount coupon to Discover Scuba Diving participants on any future packages. One thing you must remember is that if you have any ailments or recent surgery you must bring a doctor's paper certifying you are fit for diving or no professional operator will take you out. Some cruise lines don't let you know this before taking your money but I know Carnival refunds if you don't qualify. Every other line I've worked with in the past has a dive staff on board who let you know before you book.

We did the Beginner Scuba in Belize this past January, and now here I am doing advance planning for our 2010 cruise, since we intend to do plenty more after we get certified this year! It was a FANTASTIC experience and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend Hugh Parkey's operation, and if we ever go back to land-only vacations, it will definitely be on our list. :)

I can't say anything about any of the other providers, but for us, the classroom instruction was excellent, and at no time did I ever feel that I or my daughter (who was 10 at the time) was anything less than completely safe.

We booked the excursion with the specific purpose of introducing our daughter to scuba in a situation we considered safe so that she could determine if it was something she wanted to do more of (I already knew I did), and it was absolutely perfect for it. Thankfully she loved it, or I would have missed her on all our future trips... :p

Archived