Chichen Itza ruins...

Stellaw

The ruins at Chichen Itza are in the mainland up by Cancun. In order to get their on your own, you would take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen and then a bus up to Chichen Itza. You're talking about at least 2 to 2-1/2 or 3 hours each way in travel time. That's why CozInsiderJacq said if you go on your own and run late you could be left behind. This excursion IS better planned via your ship.

Another alternative to Chichen Itza, although not as grand, would be to visit the ruins of San Gervasio in Cozumel. They are much smaller in scale but very interesting, nonetheless. You could grab a cab from the pier, go to San Gervasio and visit the ruins -- about 2 hours total to see everything, and still have plenty of time to see other sites of the island, go shopping, go snorkeling, grab lunch, etc. The entrance fee into San Gervasio is about $5 I think. For an additional fee (I think around $20 for a group of you) you can hire a bi-lingual guide -- which I highly recommend.

You could, perhaps, see Tulum on your own. It's near Play del Carmen so there would be no lengthy bus ride.

Just a few thoughts!

Archived