getting to glasgow

One of our ports of call is Greenock, which is somewhere in the vicinity of Glasgow. How hard is it to get into Glasgow from the boat, and/or to get to Edinburgh? We are trying to avoid the ship sponsored tours if possible.

Neither Greenock West or Greenock Central are particularly close to the dock.... I would suggest jumping in a taxi, it would only take a couple of mins and cost a couple of pounds.

If u want to walk, the easiest way may be to walk towards the town centre and through it to the other side, where the Central station is. The West station may be slightly closer, but I think you'd get lost, as I cant think of a nice easy route, lol.

When I was on the Grand Princess last year, we took the train from Greenock into Glasgow.

While both Greenock Central and West are not that close to where the ship docks, we were told by people who had gone before and other locals that Greenock Central would be the best train station to go to. It was about a 15 minute walk, or about 1 mile from the ship to the train station. As you go, you will need to ask some locals on the street where the train station is. Its not obvious from when you leave the port, but the locals will know how to direct you. The best directions I can give is when you leave the port area, head towards your left hand side. I ended up being told to walk towards the mall, through the mall and once you get out the otherside of the mall, the train station is more obvious. It will be on your right hand side, a little bit beyond the mall.

It's about a 45 minute train ride from Greenock Central to Glasgow Central.

• 2 weeks later...

Concur that Greenock Central is the station to use. Also concur that it is not clear how to get to it. You are in luck though. We just returned from a cruise that included Greenock. When we disembarked we were greeted by some wonderful volunteers (they were wearing blue and red plaid outfits). They were very helpful and will be able to direct you to the Greenock Central station. Can't say enough nice things about these people. You got the feeling they really wanted you to enjoy your visit. They also offer some free tours of the Greenock area (they will ask for donations if you take their tour, but there is absolutely NO pressure to donate, although I bet you will!)

Archived