Question Rosebaskets

Hi Rosebaskets ,

You appear to be on my wavelength regarding clothing for kids in the Seven Seas.

My wifes panicking a bit wondering if we need to buy trousers etc for the kids.

If the kids wear a pair of linen type trousers are they okay to wear sandal type shoes?

Also from your experience on the Destiny what have you seen other children wearing ? shorts and polo shirt ? Would there be comments made to us if the kids didn't have trousers and a shirt on ?

It would be a shame if we had to miss out in the Seven Seas and I don't really believe all kids wear trousers and a shirt !

Thanks

For the info and advice !

Hi Jackadam, firstly, it seems that most of the other posts on here are from people 50+ who have persieved ideas on how people on cruises should dress. My view is that it's your holiday and you have paid just as much money (if not more) than the rest of the passengers. Their idea of smart dress and your idea of smart dress may be totally different.

I guess that the people commenting on this forum will not be on your cruise and have a "general view". I understand their attitude, but cruises have changed over the last 10 years and the more "senior" passenger still thinks that the "budget" cruise lines (of which Thomson is one) should be "an experience" my view is that if you want the formality and a traditional cruise experience you should pay for the privilege, go on Cunard or P&O.

Most of the passengers will not read this forum and will have come to a decision on how to dress depending on what's in their wardrobe. On formal nights I would suggest that your kids wear trousers as a sign of respect to the "occasion" but on the casual nights don't worry. I assume that your kids will have school trousers and shoes, take them with you to wear on formal nights. Linen trousers, polo shirts, t shirts are fine.

You will walk into the seven seas restaurant and most passengers won't even notice if your kids are in shorts as most will be reading the menu or ordering drinks.

If you are at all worried (and don't be) go see the maitre D on when you arrive, he will be outside the restaurant on the first afternoon, ask him for the first table by the doors next to the window (which is a 6) as you walk in and tell him that you want you and your family to sit on a table and you prefer to be on your own. That way you will not upset anyone else who may have been put on a table with you and you won't have to walk past anyone and legs will be under the table so no one else will notice, your waiters won't be bothered, they are very all really nice and want you to be at ease. They much prefer "happy" passengers to those who "want to be waited on"

Other kids on the Destiny have worn all types of clothes. I've seen teen goths with chains and purple hair to kids who wear a bow tie every night. We're all different. You are on holiday, don't be worried about what anyone else thinks.

I sat with a group from Wales on one formal night on the Emerald a couple of years ago who dressed in ripped jeans and t shirts just to get up the noses of the conformists, because they were told to dress smartly and then dressed in tuxedos on casual nights.

We've had people sit with us on the first night and then ask to be moved for the rest of the cruise because our kids ate "too slowly" We've had people ask specifically to sit with us because they miss their grandkids or because the waiters make a special effort when kids are on the table.

Your kids will love it. You will always get people who don't like what you do, ask why you have brought your kids on a cruise, get the grumps who say kids should be at Butlins.

Again dress your kids in what you want, don't worry about anyone else and if they are offended it's there issues and they should have spent more money to go with a less child friendly tour operator.

I know this will upset the traditional passengers, but your money is as good as theirs, they'll be in for a real shock when Ocean Village finishes and their core passengers start to use Thomson:D

Sorry if it's long winded and sounds like a rant and if I can offer any further advice please feel free to ask:)

What a great reply Rosebaskets. We are 50+ (well just 50) and to be honest if people want to get dressed up great - if not that's up to them. We are now travelling childless, but most children don't bother us - I used to work in a school and love watching the kids playing.

What bothers me more than kids is the bloody rude old people who never say thank you when you hold a door open for them, or push in front of me in the buffet queue!!! Also why do the old people not have a tray in the buffet and carry their cutlery like a weapon??

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - but you should just go on the cruise and enjoy it - if anybody has a problem with you or your kids "tough". You are all on holiday and you paid your money the same as them.

Ann

I don't think anyone's but Thomson opinion matters. Not mine or anyone else on this thread, just Thomsons. Different cruise lines set certain standards that passengers either accept or choose a different cruise line.

For instance, P & O and Cunard request formal wear. Some people like that, I do not, so I choose a different line. Some cruise lines will allow football tops, shorts, or are so relaxed they will allow passengers to wear what they like. That is too informal for me so I will chooose a different cruise line.

To me Thomson are perfect. Mostly Informal, so it is t-shirt and shorts for most of the cruise. They have 1 formal night that you can attend or ignore and set minimum dress standards for the Seven Seas. They simply ask that passenger wishing to use the waiter service to not wear shorts. They do not ban them, they simply state that if you wish to wear shorts, that you use the Lido restaurant.

It is hardly draconian, and if people don't like it, and wish to wear shorts whenever, and wherever they like, they are free to choose a different line that does not set that standard

It is simple really.

What a great reply Rosebaskets. We are 50+ (well just 50) and to be honest if people want to get dressed up great - if not that's up to them. We are now travelling childless, but most children don't bother us - I used to work in a school and love watching the kids playing.

What bothers me more than kids is the bloody rude old people who never say thank you when you hold a door open for them, or push in front of me in the buffet queue!!! Also why do the old people not have a tray in the buffet and carry their cutlery like a weapon??

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - but you should just go on the cruise and enjoy it - if anybody has a problem with you or your kids "tough". You are all on holiday and you paid your money the same as them.

Ann

Thank you Ann, but DON'T get me started on "old" people, Oh well then OK! I totally agree with you regarding both the cutlery and the buffet, especially the buffet, my god I thought the Germans didn't know how to queue!

We, the British, invented queueing, however the older you get the less you have to Q, it's written in the OAP cruising handbook, which clearly states "the older you are the ruder you should be" I've stood in line in the lido at breakfast and watched geriatrics push in, time and time again, it's like a game to them, "oh I just need a Knife" or "I forgot a spoon" then they pick up a plate and carry on down the line and you'd think they had never seen bacon! I'm sure they put it in their handbags for later or are saving it to take home the way they pile it onto their plates. You'd think there was a war on.

Then there are the sanitisers, most old people don't use them, either they don't understand what they are used for, don't know how to work them, or somehow they seem to think that they will be immune. My personal favourites from my observations in the the Destiny Lido buffet one afternoon tea are;

a) When they get too much gel on their hands and then wipe if off on their trousers.

b) Get the used hankie out of their pocket to wipe their hands

c) Pat their friend on the back (which is full of suncream because they haven't rubbed it in) and then maul the breadrolls with their hands (what is the aversion to tongs? - didn't they have tongs backs in the 70's? or is it the arthritis?)

d) Pick their noses

Then there's the Q to get off the ship. The announcment comes over the tannoy, "Don't wait near the doors until we have been cleared by customs" or "Please wait for your number to be called"

How many of them don't listen, or don't think it applies to them?

Then there's the port buses, most of them can't stand up for more than 10 seconds while on board, yet as soon as the port bus opens it's doors they are like Carl Lewis off the benches sprinting to be the first on the bus to get a seat. One "golden oldie" was like a front row forward to get on the port bus from Civitavecchia last year, he would have made the British Lions squad for scrummaging and then preceeded to tell everyone else that the seats around him were for his "party".

Sorry I could go on all night - It's not the kids that are the problem, it's the SAGA louts!:D

Rose - you are sooooo right. Your post had me laughing out loud!!!

"Sagalouts" - I love it.

I must admit, I thought I was doing something wrong - I seem to go invisible when I'm in a queue all the biddies just push past me - well when I go on Thursday - I'm going to put my foot down - no more pushing biddies - I'm going to tell them. I'll probably come back with 2 black eyes and a couple off broken ribs - but at least I'll have got it off my chest!! :eek:

Ann xx

You certainly made me smile when you wrote about the dreadfull antics of some of the oldies on your travels. Most of the thing you mention I have witnessed first hand.

To be fair all the things mentioned has, and does happen but, not just by us oldies, even the younger adults, and the children do it.

Some pensioners act as if it is thier right to be like that but, I suspect they did the same when they were younger. Is it because they have so little time left to them. said with laughter

I am not sticking up for them as I think rude, intolerant people of all ages should be told how to behave themself, join the Q like every one else, or just go away

By the way I am 65 and would not dream of doing all thoes things.

Ron

Hi Ron, my tongue was in my cheek when I wrote the piece and wasn't meant to offend, so I'm glad you took it in good humour. I was generalising and the majority of "oldies" do behave themselves when cruising, just like passengers of any age group you get the good and the bad!

(65 isn't old, you've just started!) :)

Archived