Chilkoot Trail Hiking and Rafting

rox1234

We took this excursion in the early morning while we were in Skagway a little over a week ago on the Diamond Princess. Anything specific you want to know about it? Just to get started, my wife and I both hike regularly, enjoyed the pass, and would probably do it again if we head back to Skagway. However it was a little much for one of the older couples that went on the afternoon trek. There is a marginal climb up a semi-established path and then back down the other side, but if you're in reasonable shape it shouldn't be a problem. The rafting trip, while scenic, was not the highlight. I'd have preferred to hike back the way we came. We had evidence of bears in the area (at least a dozen scat locations and several fresh tree scratches) but never did see one. Unless you really enjoy hiking, I don't know that it would be worth the money for the excursion but let me know if you want more details.

We took this excursion in the early morning while we were in Skagway a little over a week ago on the Diamond Princess. Anything specific you want to know about it? Just to get started, my wife and I both hike regularly, enjoyed the pass, and would probably do it again if we head back to Skagway. However it was a little much for one of the older couples that went on the afternoon trek. There is a marginal climb up a semi-established path and then back down the other side, but if you're in reasonable shape it shouldn't be a problem. The rafting trip, while scenic, was not the highlight. I'd have preferred to hike back the way we came. We had evidence of bears in the area (at least a dozen scat locations and several fresh tree scratches) but never did see one. Unless you really enjoy hiking, I don't know that it would be worth the money for the excursion but let me know if you want more details.

I have this booked also but I am wondering if it's too much for me. I am not a hiker. Maybe I will let my daughters do it without me?

KD

I have this booked also but I am wondering if it's too much for me. I am not a hiker. Maybe I will let my daughters do it without me?

KD

My parents are booked for this also. they are in their late 40s, and reasonably active, but not athletic... 2 miles isnt a long hike. as long as you are reasonably fit (can spend an afternoon gardening or walking around and being on your feet) I dont think you will have a problem.

We did this same excursion with another tour group in May. We had 3 in their late 40's, 1 in their early 50's and 2 children 11 and 9 yrs old. We are not hikers by any means of the imagination. We didn't have any problems navigating the steep areas on the trail. Plus our guide, Cody, would always offer his assistance if we needed help. The kids took it as a walk in the park. (OH, to be young again !!!). Go for it, the scenery was beautiful.

If you are even reasonably fit the trail isn't all that difficult and the guide will allow time to catch your breath if necessary. The couple that had difficulty were somewhere in the neighborhood of their late 60's early 70's and not in the best of condition physically. The scenery through the pass is amazing if that's the type of trip that interests you. I just know one of the people on our hike was not the "nature" type and grumbled about it the whole time. Probably a poor choice for an excursion for them, but I would have no hesitation to do it again.

Thanks for the info.....it sounds like something we will enjoy and be able to do. What about shoes? Are regular tennis shoes ok to wear? And I suppose again...dress in layers?

About how many people are in the group?

Thanks for the info.....it sounds like something we will enjoy and be able to do. What about shoes? Are regular tennis shoes ok to wear? And I suppose again...dress in layers?

About how many people are in the group?

Definitely dress in layers like most of Alaska. As for shoes, some in the group had low-cut hiking boots, some had tennis shoes. Wear what you're most comfortable in and you'll be fine. Make sure you have rain gear in case the weather doesn't cooperate, there's not much protection aside from the canopy of the forest and that only works to some extent as a couple of people found out last week. There were 8 people in the morning group and I believe 10 scheduled in the afternoon group the day I was there.

We did this tour about 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The first 1/2- 3/4 mile or so is alot of uphill climbing, but you can go at your own pace. The last part of the first mile is downhill. The ground is uneven, so good shoes are important. We had gym shoes, not hiking shoes and were okay. The last mile is flat.

We really enjoyed this excursion. The scenery is wonderful and it felt so good just to get out into the fresh air and see beyond the town.

We booked the tour through a private tour company called "Skagway float"

google the words hike and float skagway and it will come up or try http://www.skagwayfloat.com

I think the advantage of this tour company rather than the larger company that does the same identical tour and this one is locally owned, family run, and the groups are smaller and more personal. We only had 11 in our group and the guide was absolutely outstanding! By having a smaller group, the group can pace itself by the specific needs of that group. Also its easier to interact with the guide and hear about the land, history, etc.

We also used skagway float for this excursion and we only had the 6 of us as described above. We wore waterproof hiking shoes that were just like atheletic shoes. Because our group was small we were able to ask alot of questions along the trail, stop for photos and breathers as needed, and really get to the history of the trail. Our guide also pointed out edible and nonedible plants along the way. It was a wonderful experience !!!!

Archived