Questions about Nasau & Coco Cay

Sigtau21

I am taking cruise on RCCI and have stops in Nasua and Coco Cay. Will there be beaches easily accessible in Nasau? Also when on Private Island Beach party @ Coco Cay would it be nice to get the snorkeling gear? Or will the marine life be scared away by all the people on the beach?

We just got back from coco cay and Nassau. In Nassau, you can easily get to Cable Beach and use the beach at the Radisson or Wyndham free of charge. We took a cab which I would advise against. Or you can take the #10 Jitney/bus for $1 pp each way.

I coco cay, we did snorkle, and we brought our own equipment. I had never been snorkeling before, so I had nothing to compare it to. But, I'm sure many people would say it wasn't great. I enjoyed it though, we saw a few fish. But, not a whole lot really.

coco cay, we did snorkle, and we brought our own equipment. I had never been snorkeling before, so I had nothing to compare it to. But, I'm sure many people would say it wasn't great. I enjoyed it though, we saw a few fish. But, not a whole lot really.

Beth

Quick question on snorkeling in Coco Cay. How was the water temp? Did you bring your own snorkel vest or did you have to rent that?

Thanks

Cathy, the water was cool in Coco Cay. The weather that day was low 80s and mostly cloudy. We got a little chilly sitting on the beach at times when the sun was behind the clouds. We really wanted to snorkle, but the water was cold. We decided to jump in because there were several people in the water. Once you got in and got away from the beach, the water warmed up. It actually felt really good. I do remember thinking that if it had been any cooler, we may not have been able to swim. I think if the sun's out, you will be fine.

As far as equipment....my friend dives a lot, so she lent us masks, snorkels and fins which we brought. We rented vests (required) for $6 a piece. I was actually really glad to have the vests since we could just sort of float around. Next time I go, I'll just bring a mask and snorkel (don't want to rent those) and rent fins and the vest. The scuba fins are a lot bigger and kind of a PITA to haul around.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just there Dec 26th and the snokleing is OK, I am a certified diver and the dive trip there sucked. But they do have a shipwreak and a sunken air plan to snorkle and there are 3 lifeguard towers, if you swim out to them there are fish all around them and if you ask the guard will feed the fish. Note when the fish are being feed make fists so they do not think your fingers are food. But the fish will actually brush up against you going for the food. When no food present they will come within 2-3 feet. Go to walmart and buy a disposable underwater camera. It works great and you can get the for $8-10 where on the island or ship they are 20-25. Also if you are cold they do rentl wetsuits.

Thanks for the info. We're in Minnesota and the current temp is 6 degrees. So, temps of 80 will feel like heaven. Now if the seas are calm enough to tender in to Cocoa Cay, we will do just fine. Hope we don't miss it!

Got the disposable underwater camera packed, thanks for the suggestion. And we will keep our fingers nicely tucked in. (Grin) What do they feed the fish?

My guess is dog or cat food. The only time you get to see it is while it is in the air once it hits the water its gone. (or possibly fingers off the hand you would try to retrive it with) Also if you want to try you can take hot dogs from the grill on the island (free lunch buffet provided by RCC) and feed them hot dog pcs yourself. The other thing we tried was rice crispies from the liitle boxes you can get for brakfast, but those turn to mush fast in the wax paper bag they come in. But might attract fish if you swam out to on of the "rafts" (big 20ft by 20ft floating rest spots) and could dump it in from above the water and watch the fish come up and feed. The fish don't really seem to picky about the food.

Archived