Silversea Early Embarkation?

PAJJJ

We are first timers on ss and are going on a 12-day AK cruise from SF on July 8. We are scheduled to arrive SF around 11:30 so I expect by the time we get bags, etc. we will be to ship around 1:30. ss has early embarkation for extra $$ but what happens if we show up at 1:30 or 2pm? Might we be let on board or will we have to wait until 3:30?

3 pm almost always means 3 pm. We have encountered this a number of times, most recently with Silversea provided transportation where 38 of us were taken on two buses without water from Tokyo to Yokohama and arrived at 2:25 but were left to stand, again with no water until 3:07. It would have been 3:00 if a couple in an owner's suite had not fought to get on and engaged about 12 people to make this happen. By the time they got back and explained it to their supervisor (had gone to bathroom and someone else let them on), it made the rest of us 7 minutes late. Worst Silversea experience ever, and we were first in line & received the wonderful service as advertised at the right time. It just wasn't the one step above it could have been if the transfer had been handled properly. They have duly noted and acknowledged.

Hi there. Let me relate my experience with attempting early embarkation. We took the Shadow leaving on June 7 from Vancouver, flying in from Los Angeles. I did NOT expect such long lines for security and customs at both the Vancouver airport and the Cruise Terminal. Took a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours for the whole process, and we did not arrive at check in on the ship until 2:00. I was very stressed at that point. When the clerk put a form in front of me that said I agreed to be charged $100 for early embarcation, I looked at her, looked at my watch, and said "I don't think so!" The regular embarkation was 3:00. The clerk agreed immediately, and so much for that.

You don't have the same problem with customs, but you might with various security procedures - hard to say. I do think it is worth it if you arrive early enough to take advantage of the lunch in the dining room, unpacking, acquainting yourself with the ship, etc. BTW - the dining room does close at 2:00, so we had our lunch allright, but it was on the pool deck with a more limited menu - which does stay open.

Glenda

Embarking from San Francisco, I think it would be much more likely than not that the 3:00 pm boarding time would be observed. Last August, however, we arrived at the pier in Seward, Alaska at about 12:30 pm and were invited to board the Shadow as soon as I was able to return our rental car (with no early embarkation fee). We had a delightful lunch on the pool deck, made reservations for La Terrazza later in the week and were unpacked well before 3:00 pm. We have, though, signed up for early embarkation on the Cloud in just over two weeks!

Bob.

The cruise terminal in SFO is not a great place to sit around. I would recommend you ask for early boarding thru your TA and pay the extra $100/pers. Go aboard, unpack and have a nice lunch in the dining room. You'll start your cruise out right by doing that IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe SS is not more gracious about early boarding. Crystal welcomes their guests from noon on. The cabins are not ready until 2 or 3 PM, but the rest of the ship is open for exploration. Lunch is served on deck and in the main dining room, complete with limitless champagne. It's a lovely way to begin a cruise.

Archived