Edventures

collinator

I've been doing so much research on Cozumel that I haven't really learned all that Calica/PDC has to offer!

We're planning on doing parasailing and jet skiing at Cozumel, so not looking to doing that in PDC. From what little research I've done.. it seems that just hanging out at playa del carmen (free entrance) and going shopping down 5th ave is a great way to spend the whole day. But I've also read some things about edventures... so had a couple questions about that..

I figured since they take a large group for their tour, that we would be joined by others. If we wanted to do something, while the rest of the group didn't want to join in - what would happen? does majority rule in deciding the itinerary of the tour?

Do they pick us up from the pier? When does it take place and approx how long does it take? Did you guys have time left over afterwards?

I read that ziplining/cliff diving (20$), sea turtles (10$) and ruins (7$) are extra - but what are the must-do's of the trip? Since it's already 75$ per person to start off with, I'd thought we might as well try to skimp on the extras unless it's like.. amazing.

Thanks for reading! And if there are any other things that I should consider when planning our day in Calica - please enlighten me!! :p

I can't answer all your questions since I took this tour on a land vacation, I do know if you shoot Bonnie an e-mail from their website with any questions she'll get back to you very quickly.

We did the snorkel tour. We started at their shop in Tulum (it's at the ruins), and were fit for our life vest, mask and fins and given snorkel. From there our first stop was Dos Ojos ... for us this was the most amazing part of the adventure. Next we went to Akumal Bay. A small boat took us out to the reef (this is what the charge covers) jump off the boat and then we swam around the reef which was really nice. Saw lots of fish ... big and small. we swam to shore watching several graceful sea turtles. Don't get the impression that we were playing with the turtles or anything, we weren't. Last stop was Yal-Ku lagoon. A peaceful spot where fresh and salt water come together. Lots of small fish, but a lot of sameness.

In hindsight had we known what was in store for us at Yal-Ku we would have spent more time in the cave, and less at the lagoon. And would have taken a little more time exploring the reef.

We originally wanted to visit their neighbor that has the monkey sanctuary, but we changed our mind mid day. Through out our day we got a lot of information about the area, history, etc as well.

We wore ourselves out.

So, for me the must sees were Dos Ojos, and Akumal. If you've never been to the ruins, and are interested in the history of the area and people I do usually recommend that people try to see at least one of the Archeological Sites. We opted not to tour Tulum since we've been to Chichen Itza, Coba and Ek Balam in the area.

Other things that are doable from your stop in Calica/PDC are:

Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Coba, and yeah ... lounging on the beach in PDC (like at Mamitas) and shopping 5th Avenue, (lunch at La Parilla is pretty tasty).

I think it's about 30 minutes from Calica to Tulum, but I don't wear a watch and could be very mistaken. As they say in Mexico ... Not Far at all, just a couple minutes.

thanks!! it really sounds like a great time, but i think we might take this edventure on our next cruise. since this is our first time cruising, i guess we'll take it easy on ourselves and have a relaxing lazy vacation... i hope they're still doing it next year!! i want to to go in the cave and see seaturtles and spider monkeys!!

Archived