Rome: Is this too much to do?

KK18

I wrote this before I saw the many responses...sorry! But I am not sure if ending a tour at 1 will allow enough time to get your luggage and get to the train station. The platform of the train to the ship was about a 7-10 minute walk from the main terminal. We weren't aware of this and felt rushed as we were hauling all of our luggage down there! Have a great time!

We did something similar on our 2.5 days in Rome before boarding.

Day 1:

We got off the plane from the US, got to the hotel mid morning and starting going from there. We hit the Pantheon, Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Forum before we stopped for lunch and a much needed nap! After showering, we stopped for gelato near the Pantheon, headed to the Trevi Fountain, Hard Rock Cafe for shopping, Spanish Steps, and then to the Piazza Navona area for dinner. Even though it was only 9 PM we were wiped out and went back to the hotel.

Day 2: Got up early to be at the Vatican Museum. Once finished, we explored the Basilica and then headed back to the hotel (by the Pantheon) for a late quick lunch and rest. We headed back up Via Condotti and Via del Corso for some shopping and then went to dinner by the Trevi Fountain. After dinner we walked to the Colosseum to see it by night (beautiful!) and then headed back to our favorite gelateria to get dessert and eat it by the Patheon while watching an opera singer serenade all of the diners.

Day 3: We got up early again to get to the Vatican so we can be one of the first people to climb the steps to the top of the dome. Once we were done, we spent the remaining time in the Basilica before we headed back to the hotel to pack. We stopped at a grocery store on the way to get some snacks for the ship and a few bottles of wine. We left our hotel before 1 PM to take a bus to the train station so we could get to the port before 2:30.

It was a VERY full few days, but we did it all on our own without any tours. I think if you had tours all planned out, it would be fine too, but just remember that you might not want to be at the Colosseum for 4 hours for the tour (as an example). We were in and out of the Vatican Museums in about 2.5 hrs...most tours are in there for about 5 hrs. We knew that the tours weren't for us though, which is why we planned and researched everything for ourselves.

Archived