Open seating versus Assigned Seating

Brockwest

I've cruised for many years on many lines. Recently lines have added open seating (eat when you want at a new table with new waiters.) On Carnival Breakfast and Dinner is open seating. ONLY on Carnival did they do this correctly! They allow you to specify where you wish to sit and if you wish to join others. We were able to seat at a table for two without problem.

On Royal Carribean they sat you Sardine style at lone cafeteria tables with total strangers. If you were seated with a loud large group, your meal was ruined.

I VASTLY prefer assigned seating. Your waiter becomes your friend and works for his ultimate tip.

I simply will never sail on a ship with open dinner seating. Simply put, two old foggies sitting with ten drunk revelers won't work.

Meals are probably the most important part of the trip, so you seat assignment and seatmates are vital. One another cruise I was assigned to a table to Bubba and Mrs. Bubba who had won a cruise in a contest. He even came to formal night in an undershirt.

On a R.C. cruise were were overwhelmed with a GIGANTIC (several thousand) ethnic group who essentially took over the ship and glared at anyone not in their group.

I guess I'm spoiled. I've sailed on Crystal and had 5-Star assigned meals for all three meals and the SS United States (equivalent to the Titantic) which had 56-page menus even for Breakfast.

All-in-all....for the money...Carnival is your best bargain. For the food, ambience, and VIP customers, Crystal is your best luxury. If you want to go with the Homeless, try Premier....if it's still floating.

I tend to agree with most of what you have said. I must point out however, that Carnival now has an anytime dining option on most of their ships. Since I am Platinum, I don't have to deal with it, but it is there. As for Premier, it went bankrupt several years ago.

Archived