booked with TA - transfer to RCCL?

I stand corrected on the hours. Funny how everyone jumped on the 24/7 thing but didn't touch the knowledge issue of those here on cruisecritic. I must have been right about that. And I wonder how many travel agencies are available from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm? Oh, that's right - they give you their private cell phone numbers. But wait - if it's an issue with RCCL (like maybe a price drop), who are they going to call after 11:00 pm??

Peter

P.S. I haven't used fodorspeter for several years. I used to go round and round with a guy named Paul Therault over on the Fodors boards.

The knowledge issue? With no doubt there are MANY people who know A LOT about travel namely the cruise industry on these boards. As a former travel agent of 10 years I can attest to that. But there are others on here who may not be as well versed in the cruise and travel industry and I have found incorrect info on here and before you say give an example it had to do with air and no I don't know the exact question it was years ago! Nevertheless, there are other fields like real estate where lay people know a lot about it but I am sorry if you don't do it day in and day out it is different you don't learn all the nuances. To the travel agents who work day in and day out you get to understand and know the nitty grity of the industry. Especially the airlines thats a whole other realm unto itself and it took me years to understand airline fare structures and policies. Beleive me if you spent time in a travel agency working you would see what I am saying.

There is no doubt times have changed...and travel agents unfortunately will continue to close and the cruise lines will increasingly opt to have bookings go direct most preferably via their online portals. BUT I feel that luxury travel agents will continue. I last worked for a luxury travel office were no lie I sold at $350,000 Seabourne Cruise, and of which I made no commission just a salary. Clients such as these want everything done for them.....luggage shipped to cruise ship from their homes, shore excursions booked, private cars to get them to the ship, dining reservations in the ports and they keep on emailing while on board the ship to add other things for them in the ports of call like a private wine tasting in Tuscany.....it is a whole different world and honestly that 15 minute cruise booking is no longer 15 minutes but becomes months worth of work. With all due respect people who book travel like that do not book things on their own nor do they come on cruise critic or any other travel community site they don't have time nor do they care. These people are captains of indutstries and entertainment ventures.

I don't know what happen to you in the past regarding travel agents but I did look at some of your other posts and they seem to carry the same theme of negativity toward agents. And in fact I am thinking back and beleive we had a run in before. Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion and yours seems to be that people on cruise critic or more knowledgable about cruises and travel than travel agents are and that travel agents are of no use.

I honestly think you may enjoy the rise you get out of the travel agents on this board and I am not sure why. We are discussing cruises and travel some of the most happiest things we have in this world. It is not supposed to be about seeing who is right and who is wrong. So some people use travel agents to book their trips and some people don't. What really is the big deal? If they get rid of travel agents completely do you really think you will be getting the commission off your cruise? It doesn't happen that way then the lines will have to hire more res agents to handle calls and will have to pay them salaries and benefits and there goes the commissions. These lines are in business to make money not give money back. Actually the airlines did this back in the late 90s whenthey eliminated travel agents commissons. The first thing they did was offer people 5% off airfares if they booked their flights on the airline website.....keep in mind this was a few airlines like AA and DL who did this the other airlines did not lower their fares cause they cut out TAs. The 5% AA and DL gave off the price of the ticket was actuallythe commission they were paying TA's (minus the cap they imposed on us) that lasted a few months and the airlines went away with the 5%. discount.

We booked our Dec 26 cruise on Oasis with a travel agent. Is it possible to transfer the booking to RCCL?

Just wondering....

Thanks!

Ok back to the post...

I spoke to RCI last week regarding my oct 2010 booking. To switch it over its not so simple apparantly, I was told that if I were to switch it would have to be the price at what RCI have at the time not what I had originally booked it at.

I am in u.k. so things my be different here.

The reason for me wanting to drop my TA is...I recieved my confimation 6 weeks after booking, TA had booked my flights into Fort Lauderdale not Orlando as requested (yes there is direct flights from my choice of airport) luckily flights are not released yet so not such a big deal but glad I noticed the mistake, I also requested a change from inside to a balconey but TA told me there wasnt any available, I spoke to RCI and only a total of 9 had been sold throughout all grades. Basically she got my booking and doesnt want to do anymore work.

Archived