Train travel clarification pleeeaaaase

cappagirl

Hi Everyone..ok...Ive been jumping around on the threads here and I just need some straightforward clarification on train travel for ROME and LIVORNO ports.

1)What ticket should I buy to get from Civitavecchia to Rome? I read something about the Leornardo Express but I'm not sure if its the right one or where it will land me in Rome. I of course want to get to Rome as quick as possible so if someone could clarify which ticket to buy that would be great!

2)What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class? These train rides are 90min at most so is there a reason to buy 1st over 2nd?

3)If I buy a 'Roundtrip' ticket from Livorno to Florence..does that mean I can't stop in Pisa along the way?? Is there a different type of ticket to purchase?

4)I know that the train station is within walking distance in Civitavecchia...but its NOT in Livorno. I've read that taking the shuttle from the port is useless as it doesnt drop you right at the train station and that a Taxi is better. Is this true?

I'm hoping anyone can provide me with clarification on this. I have visited ftroute.com many times but am still a bit confused...:confused:

Thanks!

1)What ticket should I buy to get from Civitavecchia to Rome? I read something about the Leornardo Express but I'm not sure if its the right one or where it will land me in Rome. I of course want to get to Rome as quick as possible so if someone could clarify which ticket to buy that would be great!

Is Civitavecchia just a cruise stop on your cruise? Or is it an embarkation and/or disembarkation point?

If all you want is Civitavecchia to Rome, and then from Rome back to Civitavecchia, you can either a) purchase a one-way ticket for 4,50 Euros each way, or b) purchase a BIRG Zone 5 24-hour ticket, which is 9,00 Euros and will get you round-trip from Civiatvecchia to Rome and back again and will include the use of the metro, bus, etc. within Rome itself as well.

The Leonardo Express is only needed if you want to go from Rome Termini (central train station) out of FCO (Leonardo DaVinci Airport). The Leonardo Express has nothing to do with Civitavecchia

When you take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome, you end up at Rome Termini station. Take a look on Google Maps. Roma Termini is the intersection for all major trains, metro lines A & B and buses in Rome.

You can also look up train timetables at the Trenitalia website.

The Leornardo Express goes betweent the main Rome airport and the main Rome train station. It has nothing to do with getting to/from the port (Civitavecchia).

There are two types of trains gong between Civitavecchia and Rome. The express trains cost more, are a little faster and do not stop at any secondary Rome stations. The regional trains do stop at additional stations (which is good if going to the Vatican). If you are heading for the central station (Termini) and want to get there as quickly as possible, you wnat to take the next train whether it is an express or local (regional).

"Round trip" is called "return." You can stop off in Pisa if you so desire.

I see no reason to spend the extra money for 1st class for a short ride .. particularly as you won't be schlepping luggage.

Livorno port authorities does not allow one to walk through the port. Some cruiseline fully or partially subsidize the shuttle; some do not. If your line does not, the shuttle might be an outrageous price. In that case, a taxi is better IF you can convince a hack to take you on such a short ride when they are looking for a full day charter. If teh shuttle free or inexpensive, you can hop it and then walk or catch a city bus to the train station.

Ok...thanks! I wont do the Leonardo Express then.

jstducky - this is just a port stop for us....and we're just planning to head into Rome..preferably by St.Peters so that we can attend the mass there...and then catch the HOHO bus around Rome

ab0si - thanks for your input..Ya..im thinkin taxi may be better - that way we get taken directly to the train station - which means less confusion

Here some travel information in case you want to visit Rome first.

If you arrive on Airport Fuimicino and like to stay first in Rome or want to go directly to the port of Civitavecchia etc. by train you can use the information below.

Train schedules

From Airport Fiumicino to Roma Termini

Take the Leonardo Express Train 11 Euro p.p.

Every 30 min. train leaves to Roma Termini, travel time 30 min.

See updated train schedules http://www.ftroute.com/IT_FCO_ROM.cfm

From Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Take the regional train 2 class 4,50 Euro p.p. (no reservations)

Every few minutes a train leaves, average travel time 1.15h

See updated train schedules http://www.ftroute.com/IT_ROM_CIV.cfm

From Civitavecchia to Roma Termini

Take the regional train 2 class 4,50 Euro p.p. (no reservations)

Every few minutes a train leaves, average travel time 1.15h

See updated train schedules http://www.ftroute.com/IT_CIV_ROM.cfm

From Roma Termini to Airport Fiumicino

Take the Leonardo Express 11 Euro p.p.

Every 30 min. train leaves to Airport Fiumicino, travel time 30 min.

See updated train schedules http://www.ftroute.com/IT_ROM_FCO.cfm

Warning before you get on the train

It is absolutely necessary that you validate your tickets prior to boarding the train. This is done by inserting the narrow end of your ticket into one of the yellow machines located next to, or at the end of the platform. You will hear its internal printer put at date/time stamp on the ticket. If a machine does not appear to work, simply go to another machine. The penalty for not having a ticket, or a validated ticket, is €25 plus the cost of the ticket. This is true of all buses in Italy also! A ticket, once validated, is good until midnight the date that it was validated on.

Archived