Advice Needed: Jewel vs. Island Princess--PC this fall

Please help, DH and I have two cabins reserved and must decide by late tomorrow (Friday).

I am having a tough time deciding, and he is going to leave it up to me, I can tell.

Scenario: we are trying to decide between the Jewel Nov. 9 Panama, but no canal, cruise, and the Island Princess Oct 21 cruise.

We were on the Jewel five years ago and loved her. She was younger then, but what a beautiful ship. That time we had a Jr Suite, this time it would be an E2 balcony. The prices for the two cruises are very close. I like the times in the ports better on the Jewel, it is one day longer (11 days vs Princesses' 10) but you don't do any transit, partial or otherwise of the Panama Canal. We have never done a PC cruise. Also, Miami is very difficult for us to fly to, FLL is easier and less expensive.

On the Island we have a very nice mini-suite on hold with a covered balcony. It works better for alot of reasons-not so close to Thanksgiving, easier departure port, partial transit of the PC, bigger and nicer cabin for about the same cost. I like a larger cabin on any cruise longer than a few days.

We have never been on the Island, and my husband likes the newer ships, but not mega size. The roll call for the Island Cruise is completely dead. I know I loved the Jewel when she was new, she is beautiful, the colors, the view: I just think Radiance ships are wonderfully designed.

Anyway, I have to decide.....because I need to look at airfare before we make a deposit tomorrow. Any input would be really helpful. Has anyone cruised on both of these ships?

Or are you booked on one of these cruises? I

Many thanks!

Comfortcove

I have been on the Jewel (and Radiance and Serenade) and the Coral Princess, which is a sister ship to the Island Princess. The Island Princess is two years older than the Jewel. They are about the same size, but I found the Jewel much easier to get around on. No problem going from front to back (fore to aft, if you want to be technical), where on the Princess ships you have to sometimes go up or down a deck to get all the way across.

RCL has loveseats or small sofas in the balcony cabins, while Princess only has a chair, and it's not a comfortable one at that.

Hi:

I have not cruised on either of these ships but have cruised on both lines.........I would sail on RCL anyday over Princess. Just my opinion.....better service by far. Much more FUN;)

On Ruby Princess we had a covered.......but half covered Caribe balcony that everyone raved about.......We did not care for it at all as the people above looked down on you as well as we looked down on people. I spend a lot of time on my balcony and was not impressed with the Princess balcony at all.

I have sailed with many people who say Jewel is their favorite and they just love the class of ship.

An E2 cabin on RCL is just fine with a nice size balcony.........I have sailed with 3 in the cabin and have been very comfortable.

Which ever cruise you choose..........enjoy!!

Thanks for the advice. Robin, whichever we do, I will definitely post on the main board a review of the ship and our activities. I try to share whatever I learned about a ship/itinerary/etc. CC has been a great help in planning and enjoying cruises, and I have met some great fellow cruisers thanks to these boards.

Archived