Rome and Venice hotels

terbare

My daughter and I will be travelling to Rome end of Aug. and then to Venice to get on the ship. We want to spend a couple nights in R.ome ( near the Train) as we will travel to Venice by train. We want to stop off at Florence for night and then in Venice. We want to know of any reasonable priced hotels at each stop. Thanks, this is our first time in Europe.

Your best bet is to check out this website www.venere.com

since everyone has a different idea of what "reasonable priced" is. You will get all kinds of responses to this question......all in different price ranges.

You can put in all sorts of different terms such as location, price, star rating etc.

Be aware that the hotels in Italy (and Europe) for that matter are much different than those here AND EXPENSIVE !!!! I would not go for anything less than a 3 star.

Once you have found 4 or 5 that you think look good....go to tripadvisor and read the reviews from those who have stayed at those hotels.....

then come back here with 1 or 2 options and get opinions.

This is a really good system I have found :D

Rick Steves recommends the Beehive, a B and B, near the Termini Station in Rome. It is owned by an American couple, and they have a small cafe on the premises. You can look at current reviews for it in Trip Advisor under Rome hotels and B and Bs.

Hi. I highly recommend this hotel:Hotel BaroccoPiazza Barberini,9

Entrance at Via della Purificazione

Roma, RM 00187

Italy

In the states, I usually stay at the Westin or Hiltons or if I am on the road, the I like Hampton Inns (just so you know what type of hotels I normally like). I don't like spending lots of money on hotels unless I plan to just stay there and use the facilities.

So this is why I chose Hotel Baraocco.

1. It was in a very safe area
  2. The rate was about $270 a night.
  3. It was walking distance to the fountain and the steps and Via Veneto.
  4. It was 10 steps from the busline.

This is why I will stay there again:

1. All of the above
  2. It was very clean and simple good/friendly service. The breakfast (included) was really nice. The rooms were bigger than I expected and the bathroom was all marble and larger than I expected, too.
  3. Front desk/conceirge was extremely helpful, made reservations for us, suggested restaurants (pricey ones though- yikes!) and it was such a great location!

The only thing is that the beds were a little stiff for me- but my travelmate loved them.

Best of luck. Enjoy your trip!

As you want something within budget in Venice...which is notoriously expensive hotel-wise, I suggest you look at this one, Hotel Commercio and Pellegrino.

http://www.commercioepellegrino.com/en/index.htm

I have used it a number of times on my visits to Venice, which are numerous. It's not luxurious, but clean and perfectly comfortable and best of all, it's literally right around the corner from St Marks Square and all the transport links you'll need to see the islands. Average nightly stay is appx 80 euros per room ( not pp), inc breakfast.

Oh, by the way, they also often lay on a free water-taxi to the glass-blowing island of Murano. Water-taxi's are not vaporetto's ( the water buses) they are more like speedboats and that's a very stylish, but usually very expensive, way to see Venice. If you are considering a reservation ask before you book and likely they'll throw in a water taxi for you, leaving 2 mins from the hotel.

Happy travelling :)

Archived