Fairmont Orchid - Big Island

rnewste

Hi All,

Will be on the Big Island in May and am looking for info on the Fairmont Orchid property. I have checked out TripAdvisor but alas, no information. Has this property changed hands recently? Spleen, or Sweet Emi, I am counting on you to enlighten me about this hotel.

thanks,

Ray

it's a lovely hotel and I'm sure you'll enjoy everything about it. it's a beautiful property with great service, food, amenities, beach. :) I'm very surprised that I couldn't find it on tripadvisors either...definately an oversight on their part. but no worries, it will exceed your expectations. we live about 5 miles up the road and go there all the time for the restaurants. try browns beach house, and the grill restaurants. take a hike from the hotel over to puako, over the petrogyphs. really, it's a great place...really first class and lovely. prepare to be blissed out. to answer your questions about the hotel changing hands, this property used to be a Ritz hotel, then it was the Orchid at Mauna Lani, and about 1-2 yrs ago the management was taken over by Fairmont. I think it's being managed very well now, at very high standards...we have stayed here before also and give it very high marks.

I've stayed there while it was the Orchid at Mauna Lani. Had no complaints and thought it a wonderful room. Interestingly enough, it's a clone of the Ritz Carlton Kapalua on Maui - exact same layout (must have been designed by the same person). However, it doesn't have the Ritz feather bed ... :) Don't recall the pool being all that impressive and I thought the beach was only so-so as well. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again though.

If having a nice beach is important to you while staying on the Big Island, I would recommend either the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel (hi, maunakealady! :D) or the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. Hapuna Beach is hands down the best beach on the Kona side of the island. Locals were very upset when the Hapuna Beach Prince went up right in front of it.

Spleen

I agree with Spleen on the Orchid. The pool is nothing special and the poolside service by the attendants is non-existent. Beach is so-so. We now stay nearby in a house and go to Browns for dinner. My favorite resort on the Big Island is The Four Seasons. It's fabulous in everyway but if you really want a great beach you'll be disappointed.

true, the pool is nice there but it's not a super wow extravanganza - the beach is actually a very protected and pretty smallish cove - no waves and perfect for kids. the beach at Hapuna & Mauna Kea are truely wonderful for swimming, you could always go there for a beach day - both are open to the public (altho it's harder to get parking at the Mauna Kea). enjoy and aloha.

Hi All,

Sitting her typing this email tonight from the Fairmont Mission Inn and Spa in Sonoma, CA. The Fairmont folks really do it up right! Very pleased with the spa facilities and relaxing atmosphere at this Fairmont property.

I do appreciate your feedback on the Orchid property. Was concerned that TripAdvisor had no info whatsoever on it. Again, thanks for the "local" reports from you all in Hawaii. (Son is graduating from UH Manoa Campus in May and wanted to spend some time on the Big Island as part of our trip to Hawaii).

Ray

Ah, the Fairmont Mission Inn and Spa. I've always wanted to try that hotel - I'll have to try to see if I can arrange a stay there the next time we're in Wine Country. Overall, Fairmonts are excellent hotels - I've never had a bad stay in one.

Spleen

Spleen,

I think you would really enjoy the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa. Three hot springs fed pools (92, 98, and 103 degrees) and the tranquility - - it is amazing (for California). Toured about 8 winery tasting rooms today and am really mellowed out this evening!!

Ray

spleen: No flame, but you do realize that CA has several well known wine regions, right? Try the Central Coast sometime--quite lovely and relaxing (plus we have world-class resorts and spas as well). I have no idea if there is a Fairmont though. In any case, you are more than welcome to visit our "fair" area sometime. (she grins, impishly)

beachchick

beachchick - I spent 3 years in Sacramento, so I'm well aware of the major wine producing regions in CA. :) I have a special fondness for Napa and Sonoma, though the Alexander Valley runs a close second for me. Now that you've invited me though, I might have to take you up on your offer one of these days ... which part of the Central Coast are you in, near Santa Barbara or Monterey?

ray - sounds amazing. Would love to go one of these days.

Spleen

Archived