PV Las Caletas - 7hr excursion? MSN, Bz1??

got twins?

Hi folks -

I'm checking in because you seem to have great experience with Las Caletas...especially MSN and Bz1 (hope I got those right++)

We are sailing on the Mariner 8/23...we were interested in the Las Caletas excursion with the ship, but the total time is 7 hrs, which seems a little long with two 9 year olds with us.

They say the catamaran ride is 1.5 hours (is that there AND back for a total of 3 hours??)

We would love to check it out, but I don't want to stick us with too much travel time.

We are also considering the Yelapa & Majahuitas Snorkel Adventure, the Off-road Jeep safari, and beach adventure, or the All-inclusive resort getaway. Any insight on any of those would be VERY welcome.

Thanks so much for all of your posts...they really help!!

:):D

Jennifer

Here are some thoughts I posted here after we did last Nov:

We booked Las Caletas through Princess while on a cruise. We also added the Sea Lion Snorkel.

Overall it was a fun day. The boat ride over there lasted 1 1/2 hours as you go along the coast for some sightseeing. The crew tries to keep you entertained and there is an open bar. An enjoyable ride over there.

Once we arrived there was some confusion. Those of us doing the Sea Lion snorkel were supposed to follow one of the crew while the others went to eat. We would then eat afterwards. Unfortunately, only my wife and I followed instructions. After about 10 minutes when they couldn't figure out who else was doing the Sea Lion snorkel they told us to just go ahead and eat and then meet at the activity beach.

So I sort of felt rushed to eat then get down to the beach. I didn't even check out all the food choices, but there was a lot of food and what I did have was good. Drinks are included and they have waiters there to bring you what you would like. But we ate quick and headed to the activity beach.

Turned out we rushed for nothing. Again, we were the only ones at the beach for the Sea Lion snorkel. We grabbed some chairs while one of the staff said they would gather up the others. Took about half hour before they get everyone together.

They had snorkel gear for those that needed it. We have all our own, but had to use the life jackets they provide as floaties. They actually worked good for this though. We headed out to the spot where the Sea Lion is and spent about 40 minutes with the Sea Lion. It was fun, though an expensive add on.

The water was very murky and had a lot of algae or something floating on it. So not great water, but after the Sea Lion I spent some time just bobbing around in the water just for the heck of it. After about 30 minutes I headed back to the beach to join my wife who only stayed out an extra 10 minutes or so.

After I was back on the beach I found out what people mean by things being structured. They started to tell people wanting to snorkel to get ready. It was the one and only time to snorkel. Due to the water being so murky we skipped that. We asked about the Kayaks but were told we had to wait for the snorkeling to finish.

Once the snorkeling was finished they then let people use the Kayaks which we did. I had a hard time because there was no real back support and not being all that skinny found it uncomfortable. We did one trip around the buoy and came back.

After the Kayaking I went back out into the water and bobbed around some more then went back to the beach because the little nature walk was about to start. It wasn't very long, maybe 20 minutes, but was interesting.

Didn't really have too much time after that and we were told it was time to get ready to head back. The boat ride back is only 45 minutes as they go more directly back to the port. You have the open bar again, and the crew trying to keep people entertained.

Overall I had an enjoyable time, but felt like there was some wasted time due to the Sea Lion confusion. I think I would have enjoyed my lunch and time on the beach more if not for that. We felt we had to hurry through lunch only to have to wait for others to get their act together so the beach time and lunch was not as relaxing as I would have liked. The crew should have organized the Sea Lion people better on the ride over there.

The activities are structured. You could always go into the water on your own or walk around but doing the snorkeling, kayaking, nature walk were only offered at one specific time. We also couldn't do the Paella lesson as this is only done in the morning before we arrived. I didn't see any animals either, likely because I did not really have time to just wander around and explore.

Having done it, I would not do the Sea Lion snorkel again, but I'm glad I did it the one time. And because of the murky water I'm not sure I would head back there next time. It would be a good "beach break" type excursion for those that like hanging on the beach, food and drink is included and the boat ride there and back is enjoyable. I'd prefer clearer/cleaner water to do some snorkeling or just hanging out in the water however. So while I did enjoy the excursion, I'd likely try something else next time in Puerto Vallarta.

hey Jennifer,

I totally understand your concern but I the travel time will not seem that long at all simply because there are many things to do and see along the way plus the crew/guides always make sure people are being entertained.

All the tours will often include travel time, so it doesn't really matter when all is said and done but more so that the kids had a great time- before, during and after.

Caletas is gorgeous and a great place for people of all ages. Kids love it because of the beach, food, monkeys and such...as well there are many things to do, for people of all ages.

I noticed gargoyle gave you some info about Caletas as well and I want to mention that water clarity can not only vary but day but literally by the hour.

The ocean has tides, waves, currents and such and as well, the water clarity and visibility will vary on the time of year. Believe it or not, the summer months (away from the mouths of rivers) is clearer than in the winter months. The same goes for jelly fish. If you read a report of jelly fish in one area it does not mean they will be there tomorrow or next week...

Anyway, I am sure 9 years olds will find the whole 7 hours on boat, land, ocean...etc to be very thrilling- kinda like 7 hours at an amusement park versus 7 hours in a car.

The Jeep Safari trip is cool also, but more inland and cultural and educational versus a fun beach day... I guess it depends on what interests you and them but I think the boat to Caletas would be more fun and comfortable than riding in a Jeep for the same amount of time.

And while I am all for relaxing by a pool, you really would miss so much of our amazing city and culture by doing that.... get out and explore! :)

hello! not to hijack your thread but i was wondering the same thing. however i am coming in on the carnival splendor in late sept and was going to buy directly through the catamaran company. they said it is right at the pier and is only 31 pp for the same exact things you had mentioned. i am concerned about it being a "booze cruise". what interested me was snorkelling and free breakfast and lunch. however i am not a thin woman and really dont want to be stuck with a bunch of teeny bopper types that are loud and skantily dressed. so im with you with the hesitation. we also wanted to do some shopping at the 2 story flea market there and after a 7 hour excursion i dont know if i will have the energy!

hello! not to hijack your thread but i was wondering the same thing. however i am coming in on the carnival splendor in late sept and was going to buy directly through the catamaran company. they said it is right at the pier and is only 31 pp for the same exact things you had mentioned. i am concerned about it being a "booze cruise". what interested me was snorkelling and free breakfast and lunch. however i am not a thin woman and really dont want to be stuck with a bunch of teeny bopper types that are loud and skantily dressed. so im with you with the hesitation. we also wanted to do some shopping at the 2 story flea market there and after a 7 hour excursion i dont know if i will have the energy!

It wasn't a booze cruise when we went there. Sept shouldn't be too bad I would think. College kids should be in school. :) Don't go there if you are really looking to snorkel. If you won't be disappointed if the snorkeling isn't good then it is a nice place to go.

This was as scantily clad as it got on our boat ride over there! :D

2931703400102836559S600x600Q85.jpg

It wasn't a booze cruise when we went there. Sept shouldn't be too bad I would think. College kids should be in school. :) Don't go there if you are really looking to snorkel. If you won't be disappointed if the snorkeling isn't good then it is a nice place to go.

This was as scantily clad as it got on our boat ride over there! :D

2931703400102836559S600x600Q85.jpg

thanks a ton for your reply i really appreciate it!

Yes, with young kids...a "booze cruise" would not be our best option either.

In the past, DH and I have always waited to decide excursions until we were ON the ship...and we often regret that.

However, the more advanced research I do here...the more confused I get!!

With 2 9-year-olds, and grandma who will join us "if she can without holding us up (nice)", we would like to get a look at the towns (Cabo, Maz, PV), have some beach activity (loved snorkeling in Cabo last year)...and make some memories without over-cooking anyone (heat or physically).

Anyone who would like to choose our excursions for us, feel free to chime in!! ;)

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!! The above about Las Caletas was very helpful!!

Jennifer

Vallarta Adventures is the excursion operator for the Las Caletas Beach Hideaway. http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip The boat ride to the southern shore of Banderas Bay is just the transportation to/from.

I suspect you have been misinformed on the availability of this excursion "at the pier for only $31 pp". There are a number water base activities that use catamarans. The only one I have found in that price range is aboard Vallarta Sol http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/VallartaSol/. At only $31 pp it will be exactly the excursion you don't want.

Hi folks -

I'm checking in because you seem to have great experience with Las Caletas...especially MSN and Bz1 (hope I got those right++)

We are sailing on the Mariner 8/23...we were interested in the Las Caletas excursion with the ship, but the total time is 7 hrs, which seems a little long with two 9 year olds with us.

They say the catamaran ride is 1.5 hours (is that there AND back for a total of 3 hours??)

We would love to check it out, but I don't want to stick us with too much travel time.

We are also considering the Yelapa & Majahuitas Snorkel Adventure, the Off-road Jeep safari, and beach adventure, or the All-inclusive resort getaway. Any insight on any of those would be VERY welcome.

Thanks so much for all of your posts...they really help!!

Jennifer

Hey there Jennifer,

First `n formost, you know your kids (family) better than anybody else and what they can tolerate in the way of a long day.

The Yelapa & Majahuitas Snorkel Adventure is about 50-50 water and land. Both of these locations are also along the south shore of Banderas Bay so travel time will be about the same as Las Caletas. This is a Vallarta Adventures excursion.

I'm not familiar with the Off-road Jeep safari and beach adventure that is offered by RCCL and a few other cruise lines. I haven't been able to figure out who the excursion operator is. I'm not a big fan of excursions where the visiting tourist drives their own vehicle. They have a habit of gawking at the scenery vs. driving the vehicle.

All-inclusive resorts have their appeal. They're great for people that just want to kick back and decompress from every day life. Most lack activities that will keep kids occupied & entertained. I'm not sure what resort RCCL is using right now so it's hard to tell you what to expect.

Las Caletas is kinda like an all inclusive resort with an activity director and no swimming pool. This excursion often runs twice a day so cruisers can have two slightly different experiences. There is an early morning departure that serves resort/hotels guests and ship's passengers that arrive early (before 9 AM local time). The late morning departure that serves cruise ships that arrive after 9 AM and hotel/resort guests that are bumped by early cruise ships. The two excursions overlap at lunch. The early crew hits the beach and does activities throughout the morning, has lunch and then makes their way back to Vallarta. The late crew arrive, have lunch and then takes the place of the early crew on the beach.

Morning schedule ...

2475524190078358666S500x500Q85.jpg

Afternoon schedule ...

2380630840078358666S500x500Q85.jpg

The crew will entertain you on the way there and back. Going is introductions and a "what to expect" briefing. 2163936240078358666S500x500Q85.jpg

The return is often a skit of some sort with music and an open bar.

2339577640078358666S500x500Q85.jpg

Vallarta Adventures is pro-active in adjusting excursion departure times to meet the needs of the cruise industry. In previous years, nearly all ships were at the dock by 8 AM local time. Today they arrive a little later in an effort to save fuel. The early crew would normally depart the port area at roughly 9 AM (local) but this may be delayed this season.

I hope this helps ... Enjoy!

Vallarta Adventures is the excursion operator for the Las Caletas Beach Hideaway. http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/tours/las-caletas-day-trip The boat ride to the southern shore of Banderas Bay is just the transportation to/from.

I suspect you have been misinformed on the availability of this excursion "at the pier for only $31 pp". There are a number water base activities that use catamarans. The only one I have found in that price range is aboard Vallarta Sol http://www.vallartaonline.com/tours/VallartaSol/. At only $31 pp it will be exactly the excursion you don't want.

the 31pp excursion i was reffering to was at vallartadiscovery.....but is sounds the exact same as the one you posted. i am a bit confused though. so you are syaing this type of excursion is the one i dont want??

the 31pp excursion i was reffering to was at vallartadiscovery.....but is sounds the exact same as the one you posted. i am a bit confused though. so you are syaing this type of excursion is the one i dont want??

The subject for this thread was the boat ride to the Las Caletas excursion site. Your original posting said you were going to purchase this excursion at the dock for $32. You also indicated you didn't want to be on a booze cruise catamaran with a bunch of drunken kids.

I'm telling you that the $32 excursion you are looking at IS NOT the Las Caletas beach hideaway, operated by Vallarta Adventures, and sold by most ships (as well as third party tour brokers). The $32 excursion listed at VallartaDiscovery is aboard the Vallarta Sol catamaran. It is posted on their site in the "booze cruise" section.

Your original posting could lead people to believe that you plan on buying Las Caletas excursion tickets at the dock and for only $32. That just isn't going to happen.

A day cruise aboard the Vallarta Sol could be a great way to spend the day but ... at only $32, it may draw the hard drinking crowd of young people that you indicate you want to avoid. I think you can find a better choice.

The subject for this thread was the boat ride to the Las Caletas excursion site. Your original posting said you were going to purchase this excursion at the dock for $32. You also indicated you didn't want to be on a booze cruise catamaran with a bunch of drunken kids.

I'm telling you that the $32 excursion you are looking at IS NOT the Las Caletas beach hideaway, operated by Vallarta Adventures, and sold by most ships (as well as third party tour brokers). The $32 excursion listed at VallartaDiscovery is aboard the Vallarta Sol catamaran. It is posted on their site in the "booze cruise" section.

Your original posting could lead people to believe that you plan on buying Las Caletas excursion tickets at the dock and for only $32. That just isn't going to happen.

A day cruise aboard the Vallarta Sol could be a great way to spend the day but ... at only $32, it may draw the hard drinking crowd of young people that you indicate you want to avoid. I think you can find a better choice.

oh i see now. sorry for and misunderstandings! you have a great point with the low cost equalling a different type of crowd. thank you so much for your reply i really appreciate it msn!!!

Archived