Dzibilchaltun Tour

lexluthor

I'm on the 8/31 Carnival Fantasy which stops at Progreso from 7am to 4pm.

I think we may want to go Dzibilchaltun.

So basically, we get off the boat, go to the end of the pier, look for a sign for Autoprogresso (is it a storefront? tent? etc.) and just book a tour with them?

About how much should it cost for adults and kids?

Does Autoprogresso take credit cards? Do I still need pesos for once we get there?

My biggest concerns with booking on my own as opposed to with Carnival is that 1) we don't get back in time and 2) the Autoprogresso tours are all booked up.

Are either of those concerns real at all?

On the other hand, Carnival charges $54 per person (adults and kids) for this tour. From what I've seen, that's about double Autoprogresso.

I am actually on the same cruise. I am going to take the Uxmal Tour. From what I know, it is a per person price adult or child. They take US Dollars. I am not sure about Credit Cards.

There is a good group of us over at the roll call for the Fantasy Carnival cruise section. Doing a get together and some other stuff.

I have heard nothing but good things about Autoprogreso, so you should have a great tour.

If you and your family are keeping to yourselves, have a great cruise.

Joel

Autoprogreso already emailed back. It's $29 for adults and $19 for children 12 or under. They'll take my name and have tickets ready for me without me paying up front and being able to cancel any time with no obligation .

Certainly that's a fair deal.

I think we are going to do that.

We took this Autoprogreso tour. They were great! Our guide did everything he could to get us back to the ship with time to spare. We booked the tour after we got to Market. It was well worth the money. Only negative thing I remember... is that we got hungry during the tour and only had a few snacks in my backpack for our dd. We also did this tour along with the city of Merida.

We did wind up going to Dzibilchaltun with Autoprogreso. Before the trip, I communicated via email and they were great in replying. Once off the ship, I walked to where they told me in the email and there was a sign with my name waiting. Paid via cc and met them at the place/time of the tour. The bus was clean and with A/C. Our tour guide, Elias (sp?) was excellent. He gave a great tour and provided excellent information.

It was fun being able to climb the temple and the sinkhole at the end was totally refreshing on a hot day after all of that walking.

Very happy we took the tour and great savings with Autoprogreso.

Also, Autoprogreso is the company that provides the transport from the ship to downtown. I guess, in return, they get to make a little pitch for their tours while on board. There were enough Carnival people on the tour and with Autoprogreso having this relationship with Carnival for the transport down the pier, that, I'd bet, even if something were to happen on the tour and we were late, that they have enough pull to get Carnival to wait a little. This risk of using them is minimal and they are very professional and organized.

Between this tour and my trip to Chankanaab the next day in Cozumel, I must have saved $300 easily of Carnival's prices with minimal effort.

Archived