Progresso or Calica

ashnac

Me, my mom and my cousin are looking to going to Cozumel and somewhere else. Just not sure. What do you all reccomend. Progresso or Calica.

Thanks in advance for everyones help

We have done both ports 3 times and have had a great time at both.

Calica is just a rock quarry where you dock. Then you need to take a tour or taxi to Playa Del Carmen. PDC is gorgeous and a fun place to visit but it is more commercialized.

Progreso is a more laid back fishing town. Lots of little stores and resturants that are "REAL" Mexico once you get away from the Malecon (Mainstreet).

I am sure that you will enjoy either. Just read these boards and then google.

There are the port areas in Calica and Progreso, and then there are the nearby places. I have not spent much time in the port areas themselves, and based both on my limited observations and other reports I've read, I would not expect either to be very worthwhile destinations. On the other hand, the nearby places can be rather interesting and distinct.

Calica is near Playa del Carmen (short taxi ride), a community with a significant American presence, with much shopping, restaurants, and other activity directed towards tourists along its main pedestrian street. In several respects it is like Cozumel. There are also many large coastal resorts and ecological theme parks. Progreso is near Merida (45 minute bus ride), one of the old colonial cities in the Yucatan peninsula, with a very traditional zocolo (public square), architecture, restaurants, and shopping. This is an inland city, not a resort. Both ports are also near Mayan ruins, Calica being close to Tulum and Progreso being close to Chichen Itza.

I would say that if you want to enjoy yourself in the company of other Americans, or the beach, without going too far out of your comfort zone, choose Calica. If you're looking to more fully immerse yourself into a foreign place, and don't really care for the beach, choose Progreso.

Archived