How it the flight over to Tahiti

jrowland

Just wondering how the actual flight is from LAX to Tahiti besides being 8+ hrs? ie. Service, Crew, entertainment, plane layout etc.:rolleyes:

Loooonnngg... but not as long as coming home! ;)

Seriously... the flight was good. Very bumpy, but my airline pilot husband said that is normal over these waters.

Assuming you are flying ATN here is a link to a review that I wrote, and the first part addresses my views on our flight:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1152411

In a nutshell -

• Long
  • Crew over - very nice. Crew back - not as nice
  • Food over - really good! Food back - not so good
  • Entertainment (more detail in review) - good, in seat video with a number of choices
  • Seat - hard (both ways!)
  • Configuration 2 seats/4 seats/2 seats (Airbus A-340)

My husband's only concern was that the ATN fleet is made up of 5 planes... if there is some sort of mechanical (and I've read stories that there have been!) there is not an easy ability to just "pull in an extra plane". We flew directly into our trip (taxi directly to PG, PG sailed 30 minutes after our arrival) and have decided that we probably would not do that next time, just to be safe.

Over all the flight was a lot better than what I have experienced domestically over the last few years!

We had no bumps when we went in July 2009. It's true it's much more comfortable going over than coming back. En route to Tahiti I liked the little duty free shopping set up in the rear of the plane. I saw more people up and walking around to stretch their legs on the way over than on the way back. Atleast the plane is large enough to do that!

I have to confess the parts I didn't like were the in flight entertainment because the movies played on a loop and the serving of a fish meal. For me, fish is not something to be cooked and eaten at 35,000 feet. It made the cabin stinky.

This time, we'll have our own videos to watch and little pills and lavender pillows to take any edge off. :D

Archived