Boston 2PM-10PM?

2910car

We are considering a cruise that stops at Boston from 2PM to 10 PM. Wondering what is open that late for sightseeing and if we will see enough of Boston during that time frame. I really wish we arrived in the morning but we like the rest of the cruise. We are mostly interested in the history aspect.

It sound like the times that the Carnival Glory is in town and it is also a Sunday. None of the museums or historic sites stay open much past 5pm on a Sunday. Most of the sightseeing tours don't pick up after 5pm either. There is the Ghost and Gravestones tour available at certain times of the year http://www.ghostsandgravestones.com/ or you might want to consider a tour offered through the ship, although you'll pay a premium at least you'll get a guaranteed seat. One thing I know for sure is open late is the Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential Tower http://www.topofthehub.net/skywalk_home.html, it 50 stories up and the view is amazing! It's located in the Back Bay so you would have to take the subway or taxi, it's probably 4 miles from the ship.

What's the date of the cruise you are considering? Top of the Hub is a good destination for later in the day. If you get off the ship promptly, you can definitely do one of the historic sights. You can also go out to Cambridge on the Red Line and do Harvard Square. I think the stores close around 6, so if you do your thing before that, you can stop for a drink or dinner and get back to the ship by 9 pm.

It sound like the times that the Carnival Glory is in town and it is also a Sunday. None of the museums or historic sites stay open much past 5pm on a Sunday. Most of the sightseeing tours don't pick up after 5pm either. There is the Ghost and Gravestones tour available at certain times of the year http://www.ghostsandgravestones.com/ or you might want to consider a tour offered through the ship, although you'll pay a premium at least you'll get a guaranteed seat. One thing I know for sure is open late is the Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential Tower http://www.topofthehub.net/skywalk_home.html, it 50 stories up and the view is amazing! It's located in the Back Bay so you would have to take the subway or taxi, it's probably 4 miles from the ship.

Thanks for the information about the Top of the Hub. I love going to the top of buildings! And since my husband is AD Air Force we will get to go FREE! That's always a nice perk. I had not heard about this until I read your post, so once again, thank you for mentioning it.

• 1 month later...

We'll be on the Carnival Glory Sept 17th also. I'm with a group of 16 people, some of which would like to do a ghost tour. I was looking at the Ghost and Graveyard Tour and it looks pretty cool. Do you suggest that tour or getting a ride into Salem for a different one? We'll be in port from 2 pm - 10 pm.

You have limited time in Boston and a large group. It will be very time consuming to go to Salem and back, particularly on a weekend when the train and ferry schedule is more limited than on a weekday - it doesn't look like it will work well for a 2-10pm stop in Boston.

• 1 month later...

You may be able to do the Duck Boat tour, or do the Constitution. They're still operating at that time slot. Freedom trail, walk a million steps to the top of Bunker Hill, Faniel Hall Marketplace, Old North Church, (I still don't know if it's 1 or 2 by sea). Those are all close in proximity, along with Durgin Park Rest/pub, for a great meal. I would skip Salem or Lexington/Concord due to the time. I miss Boston since I moved to NM, but I still leave from LA or SD. Have a great stop in Boston.....don't sleep under the blankets after the baked beans. hahaha

We'll be on the Carnival Glory Sept 17th also. I'm with a group of 16 people, some of which would like to do a ghost tour. I was looking at the Ghost and Graveyard Tour and it looks pretty cool. Do you suggest that tour or getting a ride into Salem for a different one? We'll be in port from 2 pm - 10 pm.

You should definitely do the Ghosts & Gravestones tour in Boston http://www.ghostsandgravestones.com/boston/, I did it in October and it was awesome! You could do a 7pm tour, be done by 9pm with plenty of time to get back to the ship.

We were on the Glory when it stopped in Boston this past October 3rd. We also had a 2pm docking time, but they didn't get even one gangway in place until 2:20; then they couldn't let us get off the ship until 3:30! It would've been maybe 4 pm until we got downtown, not exactly when we prefer to begin sightseeing. After getting off the ship and realizing this, we turned around and re-boarded.

Two possibly mitigating factors: (1) We had been to Boston a few times in the past so that most of what we might have wanted to see and do we had already seen and done. (2) There might have been some extraordinary circumstance that we don't know about (i.e. more than simply that it was a Sunday and the dock was operating with a skeleton crew) that would have made that day the exception. So, hopefully you'll have better luck getting off the ship in a more timely manner; but you might do well to allow a cushion time-wise in your planning.

This is the new itinerary on the Carnival website

Day Port Arrive Depart Saturday, Sep 17 New York, NY 4:00pm Sunday, Sep 18 Fun Day at Sea Monday, Sep 19 Halifax, NS, Canada 7:00am 4:00pm Tuesday, Sep 20 Saint John, NB, Canada 9:00am 7:00pm Wednesday, Sep 21 Portland, ME 8:00am 6:00pm Thursday, Sep 22 Boston, MA 8:00am 8:00pm Friday, Sep 23 Fun Day at Sea Saturday, Sep 24 New York, NY 8:00am

• 3 months later...

If you are interested in history, then you should do the Freedom Trail. Take a Cab or the T (subway) to Boston Common. There is a Tourist Info center there where you can get a map and guide, or arrange a walking tour (they have guides in Revolutionary costume, and leave from the TI center regularly).

It is easy to do yourself, as they have a red line painted on the sidewalk to follow. You will see historic cemeteries (Paul Revere, Sam Adams, ect) the Old North Church (where they have speakers telling the tale of the lanterns) the Italian North end, Paul Revere's house, the State House, and Quincy Market/Fanuiel Hall, a fun place to walk around and get something to eat.

Archived