Uxmal time frame

hatchetteach

My family will be cruising to Progresso in March. We have two DD (11 & 15). I have been reading the posts here and am so excited. Progresso sounds like everything we love - beaches, history, shopping, culture, and less "tourism." I usually plan according to recommendations of these boards so I need some help. I would like to know what is feasible to do in one day. We would like to see Uxmal or Merida. If we go to one of these, do we have enough time to also check out the village and possibly eat on the beach?

I'm glad you asked this. I was coming on to ask a similiar question. We will be there in March, too.

I have read that in the Carnival Exursions and Autoprogreso that it is an hour and 45 minutes from Progreso to Uxmal. But we have a private tour operator arranged, and he appears to be allowing an hour and 20 minutes to get there.

So if someone with experience taking the trip can tell me how long it really took for the drive, I would appreciate it.

The length of the trip can vary by a few minutes if you stop anywhere enroute. Uman has a great little market and a beautiful gigantic church that is worth a 30 minute stop at least.

The actual driving time to Uxmal is about 90 minutes. 30 minutes or so Progreso to Merida (periferico) and then another hour to Uxmal itself, no stops.

Does this help?

• 2 weeks later...

I am so looking forward to going to Uxmal, with the Carnival tour in November. Does the bus take you through Merida, or use one of the loops around town? I love traveling and researching on maps the ways to get to locations, it just seemed that if you went around the city you would get out of traffic.

Archived