Purchasing Wine/Alcohol at duty free in LAX

given2travel

I'm spending 3 nights at the Sofitel in Moorea before my PG cruise. I see the drinks are very expensive and I was wondering if it's possible to buy duty free wine in LA and bring it with me to Moorea? Anybody seeing a problem with this? Can I not bring in Duty Free Alcohol to Tahiti?

Another question would be where can I buy alcohol (wine) before I get to the Sofitel if I don't have a car? Should I pack wine in my suitcase? That seems a bit much.

Thanks!

Matt

There is a duty free shop in LAX. Be sure to purchase your alcohol in one of the shops in the area by the check in counter as the small kiosks after security are poorly selected. Know your prices! Can't you bubble wrap your home purchase and put it into 2 extra large Heffy zip bags and then into your luggage. It might be less expensive for you.

No problem bringing it into FP.

Your hotel is near a shopping center that if you are a healthy walker you can buy wine and liquor in the supermarket there. French wines prices are ok in the supermarche.

With reference to the original question ... Can duty free alcohol also be purchased and taken on to the cruise ship? We are doing a post cruise stay on Bora Bora after the cruise and would like some for then or is it just cheaper / easier to purchase it in Bora Bora? Thanks

With reference to the original question ... Can duty free alcohol also be purchased and taken on to the cruise ship? We are doing a post cruise stay on Bora Bora after the cruise and would like some for then or is it just cheaper / easier to purchase it in Bora Bora? Thanks

Since the ship is all inclusive, there is no problem bringing alcohol on the ship. In our experience, alcohol on Bora Bora would be terribly expensive.

There is a duty free shop in LAX. Be sure to purchase your alcohol in one of the shops in the area by the check in counter as the small kiosks after security are poorly selected. Know your prices! Can't you bubble wrap your home purchase and put it into 2 extra large Heffy zip bags and then into your luggage. It might be less expensive for you.

No problem bringing it into FP.

Your hotel is near a shopping center that if you are a healthy walker you can buy wine and liquor in the supermarket there. French wines prices are ok in the supermarche.

Thanks so much for the reply. How long of a walk is it to the supermarket from the Sofitel? That sounds like a great idea. Is the walk boring? Can we cab it roundtrip?

I drink a lot of wine and not crazy about spending $100-$200 a bottle for a $20 bottle of wine at the resort.

Maharepa village where the shop is is quite a distance from the Sofitel.

I would suggest a car rental for the day - contact sandrine in avis . Drive around the island to the Belvedere and then stop on the way back for groceries.

The croque monsieur at Sofitel is delicious. There is also a snack bar on the beach with baguette sandwiches for about 10 $ or so.

Maharepa village where the shop is is quite a distance from the Sofitel.

I would suggest a car rental for the day - contact sandrine in avis . Drive around the island to the Belvedere and then stop on the way back for groceries.

The croque monsieur at Sofitel is delicious. There is also a snack bar on the beach with baguette sandwiches for about 10 $ or so.

Do they rent cars that are automatic? I was on orbitz and saw a cheap car rental but it was manual.

Haha... that's so funny.

Yes, I read the thread.

Follow these directions very closely:

1) Buy your bottle(s) of wine at home.

2) Fill the Rum Runner(s) with said wine (use a funnel)

3) Pack the filled Rum Runners in your luggage

4) Travel to Moorea

5) Unpack the Rum Runners from your luggage

6) Find a great spot at the resort, fill your wine glasses from the Rum Runners, and enjoy your wine: simple.

H

Archived