Duck tour or Hop on Hop Off in Boston?

2910car

We can't decide between the Duck tour and to Hop On Hop Off in Boston. Can anyone recommend one or the other? The duck tour is more expensive and we would want to get off in Faneuil Hall and then would have to make our own way back to the ship, but people have told me it's more fun. What do you think?

If you're spending the day in Boston, the HoHo trolley is the way to go. The duck tour is very popular, but it only lasts about 90 minutes. Yes - the boat is an LST and goes down a ramp into the Charles River, you get splashed a little, and you cruise around a bit, but the departure locations are not convenient to the cruiseport. I've been on a duck boat and had a good time, but it was an office outing, not a day trying to tour Boston. To me the water feature is like a very expensive amusement park ride.

The trolley will take you all over Boston and you can get on and off as you like. They also offer a harbor cruise if you feel you need a water experience. You can also consider taking the trolley first to the North End and Constitution and then taking the MBTA water taxi for $1.70 back to Long Wharf. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market are across the street - you would probably arrive about lunch time when everything is open (as opposed to 9-10 am when things are not yet open). Walk through the market area and up to Stop 5 at the Old State House and continue the rest of the trolley route. The ride between the Constitution and the Old State House is not very interesting, so you're not missing much.

Archived