Boston: Duck or Trolley?

Ydnem

I could use some help from those of you familiar with Boston tour options...

We'll have one day in Boston to explore after disembarking from the Carnival Glory. Our group is quite varied in age and ability level (youngest members of our group are 4 and 7 years old, oldest is 65 and cannot walk long distances). We would like to take in a bit of Boston before leaving the area, but realize that we'll only be able to quickly survey a few of the most notable sights.

So, we've narrowed it down to two options: Boston Duck Tours or the City View Trolley.

Duck

Pros: quick survey of area, should be entertaining for all ages;

Cons: pricey, short experience (80 minutes or so) does not allow hop on/hop off access

Trolley

Pros: more affordable, allows time to get off and on and see various stops, could be all day event

Cons: the thought of waiting on a street corner for a trolley in downtown Boston in the heat of a July afternoon is soooo not appealing!

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations? Thanks in advance!

I could use some help from those of you familiar with Boston tour options...

We'll have one day in Boston to explore after disembarking from the Carnival Glory. Our group is quite varied in age and ability level (youngest members of our group are 4 and 7 years old, oldest is 65 and cannot walk long distances). We would like to take in a bit of Boston before leaving the area, but realize that we'll only be able to quickly survey a few of the most notable sights.

So, we've narrowed it down to two options: Boston Duck Tours or the City View Trolley.

Duck

Pros: quick survey of area, should be entertaining for all ages;

Cons: pricey, short experience (80 minutes or so) does not allow hop on/hop off access

Trolley

Pros: more affordable, allows time to get off and on and see various stops, could be all day event

Cons: the thought of waiting on a street corner for a trolley in downtown Boston in the heat of a July afternoon is soooo not appealing!

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Hello

I bought a ticket on this http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/day-tour-boston-mass.asp# which included the Duck Splash and 45-minutes on the water. It had a very comprehensive network of trolleys and I never waited more than 10 minutes. The driver/guides were very good with a great sense of humour and I thought it was good value. I suppose it depends how long your day is as to whether you could use it to its potential.

I made these videos from my time in Boston http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657832 and the one called 'Not the Freedom Trail' shows a bit about of my time on the water.

But excellent as the trolley is, as Boston is so easy to get around on the 'T' or on foot, I would do the Duck as early as possible, because as you say, it will be entertaining for the kids (and everyone :)) and you will see what you may want to visit on your own afterwards. I would highly recommend a tour of the USS Constitution (free, but take ID) which I think the kids would enjoy too (and they won't have to stoop in the lower decks) and while you're out in that area, get them to walk to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument - if nothing else it will tire them out !

All the best, Tony

• 3 weeks later...

100% the Duck Tour is more worth it than the trolley tour. Living in the city I find that the trolley tours suck tourists in and are a waste of money. Boston isn't a very large city so most things can be seen on your own. The duck tour is great and the drivers are usually very friendly and funny and make it a good time for all ages. After the duck tour, you can always go back to places that interested you by either walking or taking the T (public transit subway system). You can usually find some deals for the duck tours online (just google it and you should find some form of discount). Have fun!

Do the Duck Tour. They pick up at the Cruise Terminal and will offer a stop at Quincy Market or go back to the terminal. If you stop and get off the Duck at Quincy Market, there are busses that go back to the terminal that you can get on for a small amount of $. Doing it this way you can do 3-4 hours or more of local do it yourself sight seeing and still get back to the ship in time.

FYI, the Duck Tours are VERY popular and crowded during the Summer Vacation time. I"m not sure if you can make advanced reservations but if you can that is what I"d do. Check out their web site.

Some tours leave from the Prudential Center area (Back Bay) and others leave from the Museum of Science, which is in Cambridge but just over the line, still seems like Boston. YOu might like that also

Archived