Boston North End Walking Food Tour

ValRober

We are making up our own do it ourselves walking food tour of the North End in Boston! It would be great to hear from all of you insiders! We are trying to avoid the tourist traps and find the best kept secrets that only the locals know! I have done my homework and have some ideas. What are your recommendations for the best local shops...bakery, salumeria, wines, etc. Suggestions for an authentic Italian lunch there would be great as well. Thanks for your help!

We are making up our own do it ourselves walking food tour of the North End in Boston! It would be great to hear from all of you insiders! We are trying to avoid the tourist traps and find the best kept secrets that only the locals know! I have done my homework and have some ideas. What are your recommendations for the best local shops...bakery, salumeria, wines, etc. Suggestions for an authentic Italian lunch there would be great as well. Thanks for your help!

Awesome! I am excited to see the feedback you get, this is a great idea!

Smiles, :p

Patty

My suggestion? Caffe Paradiso on Hanover Street, a hangout for neighborhood folks, as well as tourists, that won Boston Magazine's best cannoli award for 2012, beating out the famous two "M"s and Bova's. Nice atmosphere with soccer theme, yummy gelato, and good coffees.

http://www.caffeparadiso.com

Again?? Sure you don't own this place?:rolleyes:

Again. It is a neighborhood place. Not many are any more; most now cater to tourists and out-of-towners and the upscale relative newbies gentrifying the area. I have neighborhood/local friends and acquaintances who spend time there, so I end up there a bit (when I'm not in Brazil), and like seeing the regulars get served their "regular" coffee/drink order, which is ready for them by the time they get from the door to the counter to pick it up, because the staff knows them so well. Small town ambience in the big city.

And if I want an Italian restaurant, I'm more likely to go to Vinny's in Somerville. The lines at the places in the North End put me off, and often the food isn't worth the wait or the price.

Mikes is a great place for pastries to go.

Mike's is a great place to go to stand in line among hordes of tourists (who have all apparently read the same guidebook advice --again) for an hour or so waiting in a sardine-can-packed shop or in a line out on the street for the opportunity to buy a soggy pre-stuffed cannoli from overwhelmed servers. They, and Modern, are victims of their own popularity IMO.

If you don't like my suggestion above because I've made it more than once here, head for Bova's or Maria's (Boston Magazine's 2013 and 1998 best cannoli winner, where your cannoli will be filled by owner Maria Merola).

Thanks for your suggestions, I am not the OP but would also like to hear of places to create my own walking tour. For me the point is to get away from the "touristy spots" I often find them over rated. I appreciate getting off the beaten path and away from the hectic vibe.

Patty

Thank you for the ideas! Hopefully more will chime in here! Perhaps some don't want to give away their neighborhood gems?:p I will share what I have found on CC and TripAdvisor etc.

Caffe Paradiso or Caffe Vittoria for coffee and cannolis

Polcari Coffee for a step back into the 50's for spices, coffee, Italian groceries?

Salumeria Italiana for deli

Wine Bottega for...WINE!

The million dollar question is about lunch! I am intrigued by the arancini at Galleria Umberto! Thoughts?

How am I doing so far?

• 2 weeks later...

The locals here like Modern Pastery over Mikes. Modern supplies the restaurants with desserts. Mikes is more of a tourist trap, mass production. For the best Italian food you can't beat Rinos in East Boston. Without doubt best food, all freshly made, very small place only about 11 tables and very inexpensive. The Northend has changed quite a bit, most restaurants are no longer owned by their original Italian owners.

The locals here like Modern Pastery over Mikes.

The locals I know avoid both, if only because neither is worth waiting in the long lines of tourists when you can go next door or around the corner to get the same or better quality. Knowing where is the 'being local' part.

The locals here like Modern Pastery over Mikes. Modern supplies the restaurants with desserts. Mikes is more of a tourist trap, mass production. For the best Italian food you can't beat Rinos in East Boston. Without doubt best food, all freshly made, very small place only about 11 tables and very inexpensive. The Northend has changed quite a bit, most restaurants are no longer owned by their original Italian owners.

Years ago, on our first of many trips to Boston, we decided to escape the heat and take a break in Modern. We decided to indulge ourselves with cannolis! They were absolutely the best and became our "standard" that we compare all others to! Fifteen years later and we still haven't found any better cannolis anywhere! So Modern it will be for our foodie walking tour!

Anyone else want to give us some ideas? Or are you keeping your faves a secret?:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Archived