Another Bar Harbor excursion ?

cruisingfreak

We're on the Golden Princess 9/10.

For Bar Harbor, we had picked out the whale watching. We have never done this before, in any of our cruises. We thought it would be different. Now a friend tells us to book Arcadia National Park/Cadillac Mtn. instead. That we must go there, if we're in Bar Harbor. Very scenic.

Should we cancel the whale watching? What would you do?

Thanks!!

Minette

I am probably not the best one to answer this question as I have never gone whale watching .... although I have friends that have, and one is never guaranteed that there will be a whale sighting. Last year my daughter and I took the Cat to Nova Scotia (which is a ferry) - and we saw quite a few whales - my son and I went to Monhegan Island (off the coast in the southern part of the state) 2 weeks ago and we saw whales, bald eagles, porpoises, and nesting seals.

My opinion is that you can always see whales, but (in my opinion) it would be a shame not to see the beauty of Acadia. Jan

I have read some mixed reviews of the whale watching out of Bar Harbor -- we are presently booked on that excursion with RCI, but considering other options (and we LOVE whale watching, as you can probably tell). Acadia National Park is supposed to be stunning however --- can you fit in both excursions?

Thanks for all your answers.

We booked the limo tour, for Arcadia National Park also. It wasn't that much more expensive than the regular tour. We could do both, as the limo tour is from 9:30-12:00 & whale watching is 1-4:30, but I don't think we would have time to eat. As you know, when you're on a cruise, that's what you must do. In the end we'll probably cancel whale watching & hopefully do that someday, on one of our many cruises down the road.

Minette

In the end we'll probably cancel whale watching & hopefully do that someday, on one of our many cruises down the road.

Minette

If your sea princess cruise stops in Dominica, you should consider whale watching there--- we had a fantastic excursion last January, with sperm whales lounging in the water right next to the boat! And of course, Alaska is great (see my avatar -- this picture was taken by a friend of mine in Glacier Bay...)

If your sea princess cruise stops in Dominica, you should consider whale watching there--- we had a fantastic excursion last January, with sperm whales lounging in the water right next to the boat! And of course, Alaska is great (see my avatar -- this picture was taken by a friend of mine in Glacier Bay...)

Thanks so much.

Think I'll look into it for Dominica, as we've been there 2X's before, & didn't know what to book. I'll also check out Alaska.

Minette

I visited Bar Harbor in October 2003 and October 2004. I realize that is a month later than your September cruise. I didn't go whale-watching either time, but talked to people who had. Unfortunately, they didn't have much luck either year.

If you are ready for the cold windy conditions and the possibility of motion sickness, you would probably have a better experience. However, we ran into a lot of cold, tired, sick people that just couldn't wait to get back to the cruise ship after their "experience".

Budget Queen posts over on the Alaska Board a lot. I know she has some great knowledge of whale-watching on the East Coast as well. Search out some of her postings on Bar Harbor whale-watching over there.

YOu have a full day there, and will go ashore on a tender. On a New England driving vacation two years ago, we rented a car for a week, and spent two days/nights at Bar Harbor. Renting a car there (with advance reservations) should be easy; there were several auto rental offices in various locations. The tenders(a ship was in when we were there)dropped people off downtown centrally, not out at the Ferry Terminal- some distance from downtown Bar Harbor. Driving around the park is easy, and there are several drive yourself guides available and there was also a tape to play on auto tape player telling you whesre to turn, stop, and what you would be seeing. There are many very attravtive areas to stop at in addition to the three on the standard tour, and you can cover more distance getting out to the NorthEast Harbor (great lobster places for lunch, mostly locals). Renting a car with twoi people (or even 4) is cheasper than the ship tours. Enjoy.

The ferry terminal is away from town and the cruise ships do not use it - the terminal is for the ferry that goes to Nova Scotia - it used to be the "Blue Nose", but it is now the "Cat" it rides on top of the water and instead of taking 5-7(?) hours it now takes about 3(?) - last time over was a few years ago - the crossing over was wonderful - back though I was the only one standing - everyone was green.

I still do not know of any car rental places on the island - the closest place is in Trenton (Bar Harbor) airport which is approximately 15 miles away. All roads are secondary mostly one lane each way - in the summer when there is construction (and there is always construction) it can take a very long time to get there - and that is assuming that you can get a cab that is willing to drop you off each way. I'd hate to see someone get stuck just trying to get a car and not being able to see the wonderful area that Mt Desert is. If anyone knows of a place to rent on the island, please let me know.

Northeast Harbor has a few nice places - it is a very deep port so a lot of boats are there in the summer. Southeast Harbor also has some nice places to eat - there is a nice lobster pound there.

I keep thinking that I should start a thread for "snippits of Maine" - I hope that all that visit our beautiful state enjoy the opportunity to see the Maine -way life should be" Jan

Archived