How do you pronounce "Safaga" Egypt?

Saga Ruby

You were the only person on this entire Website that dared put your face out into the slipstream and give an opinion - a tip of the hat to you.

A few days ago, I held faint hope of ever getting a reply so I called the Egyptian Embassy in Washington, D.C. After some switching around, a very nice lady assured me that it is pronounced

Sa FAH ga. So I'm ready to rock and roll for my Luxor jaunt.

You indicated that you were "on the ground" in Egypt. If you have any thoughts about the area, I would appreciate hearing them. I'm trying to understand Luxor - tramping around underground in pharaonic temples has little appeal. No worries about how long ago you were there - Egypt is certainly a land of antiquities and I doubt they have built skyscraper buildings outside a tomb.

Thanks so much for your input.

Ruby

Hi, Ruby....

May I jump in here since we are going to be on the same cruise with you through the Canal this November.

We have been to Luxor before on a Nile cruise - with A&K, and were there for several days. However, my understanding is that the Nautica, docked in Safaga, will be a 3 hour drive each way. Staying overnight in Luxor is something you may want to consider.

The temples are breathtaking - both during the day and at night. Should you stay overnight, there would be a Sound and Light show that is worthwhile.

The Valley of the Kings is as you said - a lot of tramping around, most of it underground. But the tomb of Tutankhamen is very much worth it. So you be the judge. But, be prepared to brave an army of vendors coming and going at the entrance!

If you can think of anything that we may help with, just let us know....

Dick & Vivian :cool:

Hello, Dick, hello, Vivian. I agree about the overnight stay at Luxor. I'm keen to see the sound and light show and am not a fan of the 12-13 hour bus or van rides so I'm in the process of getting a private car and guide. I've contacted "Road to Egypt" tours in Toronto and they are gathering info for cost and hotel. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I've done so much reseach for "our" cruise (which I think is a winner before we ever leave the pier in Istanbul), but haven't gotten to the finer details of Egypt. Where is Abu Simbel located since Aswan opened up? Is it in Luxor or along the way? I'd appreciate any further thoughts you may have. The more knowledge I have beforehand, the better I can "jump" if need be while onsite.

Thanks,

Ruby

The only thing I might add to your plans is to be aware that armed guards are necessary - and that whoever you may choose goes in convoy with one.

Abu Simbel is south of the Awsan dam and can be reached from Luxor only by arranging a flight on Egypt Air. It is about a 30 minute flight, but you would have to make your arrangements before leaving, along with a guide to meet you - take you to the site and get you back to your return flight to Luxor.

We are only there for one full day and just part of the next, so be aware of your timing.....

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm musing about what is "doable" for a single white American female in Muslim countries. I know convoys are required for all transportation from, say, Port Said to Cairo and I'm well aware of the German tourist disaster some years ago.

I had to laugh at your comment about fending off vendors at the tourist sights in Egypt. Ain't it the truth? As a single traveler, I get swarmed, especially Bali, and the only thing I'm doing is clutching my purse in front of me!

In Muscat or Dubai, I want to see ancient wooden sailing dhows. I have owned a beautiful large oil painting for 30 years which is "Madrugada en Dubai" (Sunrise in Dubai) by a Spanish painter which shows the sailing dhows in the quiet creek of Dubai of yesteryear. Nowadays, the dhows are motorized. I'm much more interested in the dhows than shopping in Dubai.

The sticking point is that as an American female with a car and guide bashing around the Gulf-states countries like the UAE, I may not be appreciated in those countries by the Muslim men. I would certainly honor dress codes for mosques (I hope to see the "world's largest chandelier" in the Grand Mosque in Muscat) but am prepared for any and all reactions from the Muslim males. It's a bit of a razor's edge but I intend to carry on with courtesy and respect and hope that it is sufficient.

Thoughts?

Ruby

Archived