favorite spot

texgrl29

:o Going to progreso with 8 hours for fun, What suggestion do yall have that are a MUST. Soo excited, my husband and I will be traveling without the kids so looking for adult oriented hot spots. Would like to see the ruins but with only 8 hours dont feel there is time. All advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks

There is time to see some ruins. My favorite thing is visiting Merida. So different from Cancun or Cozumel. The real Mexico.

There's really nothing like El Centro in Merida. My wife and I really enjoy it late in the evening, not an option when cruising. But still a great experience any time of day.

We used to like Cancun, 20 years ago, now not so much. I think if, like us, your vision of Mexico is limited to the Hotel Zone of Cancun you're really missing out. Slowly over the years we ventured farther and farther from our resort, going more and more native so to speak.

What's your favorite restaurant? On our most recent trip we had a great lunch at Los Almendros.

Anything in El Centro is my favorite thing to do. I especially like to get up early (7AM) and sit at the sidewalk cafe "Main Street" drinking lots of coffee in front of the Hotel Gran, just to watch everyone rushing off to work or class at the university. A privilege reserved for the retired.

One of my favorite restaurants is Porto del Perigrino on Calle 57 between 60 and 62. Pollo Pibill is excellent.

Always go to the Thursday night folkloric at St Lucia Parque. And then the WEEKLY STREET FAIR for great fun and good eats. Love those fresh made churros. Then all the night time street fun of many bands and dancing in the streets.

I think Pres Bush's last stop on this current trip will be in Merida.

Anything in El Centro is my favorite thing to do. I especially like to get up early (7AM) and sit at the sidewalk cafe "Main Street" drinking lots of coffee in front of the Hotel Gran, just to watch everyone rushing off to work or class at the university. A privilege reserved for the retired.

One of my favorite restaurants is Porto del Perigrino on Calle 57 between 60 and 62. Pollo Pibill is excellent.

Always go to the Thursday night folkloric at St Lucia Parque. And then the WEEKLY STREET FAIR for great fun and good eats. Love those fresh made churros. Then all the night time street fun of many bands and dancing in the streets.

I think Pres Bush's last stop on this current trip will be in Merida.

We must be missing out. Haven't tried any of those spots, well other then the Gran. Last trip we met a Canadian couple at our hotel in Progreso. They told us we should try the Hotel Dolores Alba. When the cab pulled up to the front we both thought "wow, this is a mistake." The outside looks pretty bad. Inside is on par with just about any resort in Cancun, nice, very nice courtyard and pool. Very reasonable too, think it was 40USD.

We like Los Almendros, it's farther out I like Calle 50. Very Mayan style, very reasonable. We've done Pancho's more times then we should. I like it there but think better food can be found for a better price, just kind got in the habit. Flaming coffees there are great there and fun to watch them prepare.

Yes POTUS will be in town on Tuesday.

Thanks for all the great advice, Has anyone been to the Rancho Tierra Bonita? Carnival is offering this as an excursion lunch included for $69, Didn't no if this was worth the money.

I've never been out to Tierra Bonita. I think as part of that tour they take you out to the ruins of Dzibilchaltun. If so I'd take my swimming suit, there's suppose to be a really nice cenote out there. Again never been out there but I've heard mixed things. But then I've heard completely different reactions to the whole Merida area. I've told people we stopped in Progreso and had them say, something to the effect of, "what a miserable port of call, nothing to do there." My wife and I really like the place. I heard from people who didn't care for the food, the food in the area tends to be more Mayan then other places I've been. I like it.

Would I pay $70 to go out to Tierra Bonita? Yeah, I probably would. From what I've heard you get a tour of the ruins, they put on a folklore show and feed you a really nice lunch. For the time you're going to have in town I personally think this could be a nice relaxing fun time.

If you go be sure to let us all know what you think.

Archived