Boston & Portland

Kansas Lady

Our group of 10 on Carnival Victory (ages 50 - 60) is considering these excurions:

Boston Trolley - Would we be better to just get on the city trolley rather than booking the ship excursion? If so, how do we get there from where we dock? On either the ship excursion or city trolley will we be close to Cheers? We will be in port from 2pm to 10pm.

Portland by Land & Sea - Has anyone taken this Carnival Victory excursion? Would appreciate any input or other suggestions. We are in port from 8am to 6pm.

These boards have been SO helpful and we can hardly wait to go. 41 more days!!!

In addition to the one mentioned above there are several tour ops in Portland who will give you a city tour and then go out to the Portland Head Light via land .. then you can take a harbor cruise. IMHO having done it that way I'd wait to get there and see what the weather is etc. and not book a ship tour.There are lots of locals to left of where ship docks along harborfront and some excllent restaurants for seafood (the chowder and lobster roll is divine on this itinerary).

Dock in Boston isn't close to town.. they were running shuttle when we were there but it was a Sunday... and we were late .. huge mess. Traffic isn't bad then though so if you are also there a Sunday you can take shuttle into town or a tour BUT some of the things in Fanueil Hall etc. close at 5.. so be aware.. I think when we go to Boston next year we will do the "Ducks" tour.. did it in Seattle and it was great.

These ports ex. Boston are so walkable that you don't have to spend a bunch of money on tours.. Halifax esp. has more than enough to keep you busy for two days in walking distance~

Boston was a BIG disappointment for us. I think because it was a big city with so much to offer, I didn't think we needed to have an excursion and I wish we had.

It has been almost 4 years since our Victory New England Cruise , but we docked at I think the Black Falcon Terminal??? Anyway it was chaotic. We had NO clue where in the mess was the shuttle. We started walking with many others (not walking distances to the desired sites) thinking we would have better luck getting a cab along the way. We, along with many others, had a hard time getting a cab to stop.

We went to Fanelli Hall and the Cheers bar (not a big deal) and due to being close to 5PM things were closing. Then it started to rain. Anyway I wished I had booked some sort of organized tour. Portland/ Halifax are easily done on your own.

Maybe someone with more recent cruising experience could answer better.

As for Portland I second the motion of the Mainely Tours. It gave a great overall view of the city and the Portland Head Lite. A great, great tour and I hae been on lots of city tours and this one ranks right up there. Check out their web site.

Marilyn

We booked what I thought "would" have been a great tour IF the Victory had arrived on time... which apparently it was not on Sunday very often that year.. It was called something like "Adams/Kennedy-Two Presidents" and included a visit to JFK Library and then to John Adam's homestead.. we didn't have near enough time at the library which was fascinating and then they had to keep the Adams house open so kinda rushed through it.. I would almost do this again if I thought it would be the full time..

CMM,

I've been to Boston 4 times, each time taking a tour, but never having really spent any time walking around on my own! That is probably why! Traffic is horrible and I can't imagine sitting in a cab watching the meter tick away because of all the one way streets.

Too bad the regular trolley service only is available at the regular trolley stops. The trolley tour that the ships offer is only 1-1/2 hrs. and doesn't allow you to get on and off. And there some business about a shuttle bus back to the ship from Quincy Market. Nothing about how long this shuttle runs or anything!

We will be in Boston on 10/25 once again and will either take the shore excursion to Boston and Cambridge since we do get off in the North End and in Cambridge to walk around or take the 1-1/2 hrs. trolley tour if we get some free time at Quincy Market before having to go back to the ship.

Why doesn't the port in Boston provide a shuttle service into the downtown area? If the charge was even $5 per person one way, it still would be cheaper than taking a taxi!

Come on Boston -- let's get with it!

MARAPRINCE

Maraprince - Boston has the Silverline bus that we caught right outside the cruise terminal. We walked through the terminal, then crossed the street and walked to the first corner on the left. Do not cross the street. The bus ran every 10 minutes. This bus did not get caught in traffic because it did not go into the heart of the city. The bus pulls into the subway terminal and we followed the signs to the red line to go to the Freedom Trail. The train came a few minutes later to take us into the heart of downtown. The $1.50 fare included the subway. The bus was pretty empty both ways, probably because it was on the outskirts of the city. I'm a little confused as to why you need a shuttle when the ship has a shuttle if that is what you choose to take. (Maybe that is just Celebrity?) On the way back, the bus was sitting waiting. There were many signs to find the Silverline bus. Only 2 routes so it was easy to find the bus back to the cruise ship. It is hard to miss the ship, but we asked the driver and he told us when we were getting close.

Another good thing about taking city transportation is you do not have to head back from the place you are let off. And it comes more often than a shuttle bus.

The problem with Boston is that there is too much to do.

Maraprince - Boston has the Silverline bus that we caught right outside the cruise terminal. We walked through the terminal, then crossed the street and walked to the first corner on the left. Do not cross the street. The bus ran every 10 minutes. This bus did not get caught in traffic because it did not go into the heart of the city. The bus pulls into the subway terminal and we followed the signs to the red line to go to the Freedom Trail. The train came a few minutes later to take us into the heart of downtown. The $1.50 fare included the subway. The bus was pretty empty both ways, probably because it was on the outskirts of the city. I'm a little confused as to why you need a shuttle when the ship has a shuttle if that is what you choose to take. (Maybe that is just Celebrity?) On the way back, the bus was sitting waiting. There were many signs to find the Silverline bus. Only 2 routes so it was easy to find the bus back to the cruise ship. It is hard to miss the ship, but we asked the driver and he told us when we were getting close.

Another good thing about taking city transportation is you do not have to head back from the place you are let off. And it comes more often than a shuttle bus.

The problem with Boston is that there is too much to do.

EGG,

Not sure about Celebrity offering a shuttle bus. The Trolley Tour that Celebrity offers mentions something about a shuttle bus back to the ship.

Did you need to buy a day pass to ride the T that enabled you to get on and off at different points? Where do you get it?

MARAPRINCE

The day pass is only $7.50 and can be bought at the ticket booth. Heres some info about travel aound Boston,

Getting Around Boston

1. By MBTA or "The T"

Boston has a very extensive public transportation system. The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority or "The T" (their logo is an encircled "T") operates the system. There are four major lines and they are color-coded: Green, Red, Orange, and Blue. The Blue line connects the city center with Logan Airport (about 15 minutes into the city). Central Boston is geographically small, and the four subway lines intersect there, creating a square around the "downtown" area.

The standard MBTA fare is $1.25, except for the Green Line D train surface portion. Most bus lines are $0.90. Visitor Passes, with unlimited subway, bus, and limited ferry travel, can be a great deal. A 1 day pass is $7.50, 3 day pass is $18, and 7 day pass is $35. The "T" has a complete Fare Listing and Subway Map available on line. Within CelebrateBoston, is a Cross-Reference tool of sites/attractions and MBTA stations.

About the MBTA, the subways generally run North/South or East/West. You should always refer to the roll-signs on the front and sides of the trains to see their destination if you get confused.

The Green Line has several lines that branch off into different destinations. B trains run from Boston College to Government Center. C trains run from Cleveland Circle to Government Center. D trains run from Riverside to Lechmere. E trains run from Heath Street to Lechmere. Thus, you may need to change at Government Center or Park Street depending on the direction you are heading. Also please note E trains branch off at Copley Station, so take a B, C, or D trains if you are heading to Kenmore Square. Just read the rollsigns to avoid getting on the wrong train.

One final note, a lot of local people prefer to park at MBTA parking lots adjacent to stations in the suburbs, then commute into work. This is an excellent alternative, but remember these parking lots are often full during weekday business hours.

2. By Foot

Boston is a walker’s paradise. The city center is quite small, and there are short walks that can give you a good feel for the city. The streets of Boston are not laid out in a grid except for the Back Bay. The layout of the streets date back to when Boston was a peninsula into the inner harbor. Washington Street dissected the peninsula and streets emanated from its center near the Old State House. The hills on the peninsula were cut down and were used to fill areas on the waterfront and eventually fill the Back Bay. Thus, the streets have little order but are great to walk around on to view the city. The National Park Service has Boston Maps available on line in PDF format, including the Freedom Trail which shows the downtown area. Below are some interesting walks:

From the Green/Blue Lines Government Center Station, exit the station and walk across City Hall Plaza. Walk to the right of City Hall, down the stairs, and across Congress Street to Faneuil Hall. Behind Faneuil Hall is the Marketplace with restaurants and cart vendors. If you are not too tired, you can keep walking south and cross Atlantic Avenue to Christopher Columbus Park and the New England Aquarium. Aquarium Station on the Blue Line is a block from the Marriott Hotel if you do not want to walk back to Government Center Station or State Street Station.

From the Green/Red Line Park Street Station, exit the station and walk up Tremont Street toward Government Center. In this very short walk you will pass the Park Street Church, Granary Burying Ground, and King’s Chapel with its burying ground. Continue on to Faneuil Hall if time permits.

From Green Line B, C, D train Hynes/ICA Station, exit the station and walk to the right to Newbury Street. This is a nice walk for several blocks in an upscale shopping district. There are sidewalk cafés, hair salons, and sandstone architecture. Please note the intersecting streets are alphabetic, from this end they go Hereford, Gloucester, Fairfield, Exeter, Dartmouth, Clarendon, Berkeley, and Arlington. If you do not have time or do not want to walk that far, you can exit Green Line Copley Station, and just walk down Dartmouth Street to Newbury Street. Newbury Street ends at Arlington Street at the Public Garden, and you can take a right toward Boylston Street and Arlington Station is one block up.

Please remember a city is a city, and thus you should always be aware of your surroundings and safe guard your belongings.

3. By Tourist Trolley

Tourist trolleys are an excellent way to get around the city. Most allow unlimited boarding, so you can have lunch or shop, and see the city at your own pace. Tour operators include Beantown Trolley Tours, Old Town Trolleys, Boston Trolley Tours, CityView Luxury Trolleys, Discover Boston Multilingual Tours, and Duck Tours.

Archived