Need help with Boston

CruisnGram

I've been to Boston on a road trip and am looking forward to visiting on our upcoming cruise. There are 8 of us in our group and instead of taking one of the specific ship tours, we want to utilize one of the hop on/hop off tour trolley's. We'll just get a better overall Boston experience this way and we can get off in area's that interest anyone in our group.

Not being too bright :) , I sort of just assumed that the ship would dock in an area where we could easily walk to a trolley station. However, I don't think that's the case, but the info I'm finding is confusing. On the website for the Black Falcon Cruise terminal, they talk about a shuttle that is $15 round trip per person. They direct you to a website for the people who run the shuttle and it's the same website for the Beantown Trolley. However, $15 is not price for the trolley, that is like $22 per person. Call me confused. Can anyone familiar with where the Black Falcon terminal is shed some light on this for me? Where does this shuttle they are talking about take you? Do we have to take it to get to a trolley stop or is one within walking distance so we can skip the extra shuttle? I've looked at both google maps for the location of the cruise port (Summer Ave) and the map the trolley follows. The trolley map shows a stop at "South Boston" and address on Summer Ave, so I'm thinking that we may just be able to walk to the trolley stop which would be perfect for timing, as well as saving our group of 8 $120.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

WE will be on a cruise that stops in Boston in October. I have used the Old Town Trolley Tours in Boston previously but not from the cruise terminal.

And this is what I want to do again, as you do. It is an enjoyable tour and a great way to get around to the various places of interest in Boston.

I pulled up their web site and looked at their map and then sent an e-mail to Old Town Trolley in Boston asking them if their Stop # 17 was the closest to the cruise terminal and how far away is it.

They replied that Stop # 17, Westin Hotel, is indeed the closest to the Black Falcon Terminal and that it is about a 10 minute walk.

You can buy tickets on-line at a discount - Adult tickets are $34 but are $30 if you buy them on-line. Senior tickets are $31 and $27.90 on line.

Their web site is http://www.trolleytours.com/Boston/

You can pull up on their web-site a map that shows the route and the stops that the trolley makes.

I am pretty sure that this is what we are going to do. If the walk to the Westin hotel gets to be too much, we can always get a cab to the hotel and a cab from the hotel back to the cruise ship.

If there is anyone else out there who has done this, let us know.

I've done the Bean Town Trolley and loved it. We were picked up at the Hilton Back Bay, and I just don't recall too much about the place you're wanting to be picked up at. It's very easy to find cabs, at least we had not problems, so it should be a big deal getting back to the cruise ship area.

We're going back to Boston for a couple of days and we're going to use the trolley both days as a way to see the sights. It's easy...and I love how you can get off and get on when you want.

WE will be on a cruise that stops in Boston in October. I have used the Old Town Trolley Tours in Boston previously but not from the cruise terminal.

And this is what I want to do again, as you do. It is an enjoyable tour and a great way to get around to the various places of interest in Boston.

I pulled up their web site and looked at their map and then sent an e-mail to Old Town Trolley in Boston asking them if their Stop # 17 was the closest to the cruise terminal and how far away is it.

They replied that Stop # 17, Westin Hotel, is indeed the closest to the Black Falcon Terminal and that it is about a 10 minute walk.

You can buy tickets on-line at a discount - Adult tickets are $34 but are $30 if you buy them on-line. Senior tickets are $31 and $27.90 on line.

Their web site is www.trolleytours.com/Boston/

You can pull up on their web-site a map that shows the route and the stops that the trolley makes.

I am pretty sure that this is what we are going to do. If the walk to the Westin hotel gets to be too much, we can always get a cab to the hotel and a cab from the hotel back to the cruise ship.

If there is anyone else out there who has done this, let us know.

Have you checked out the Beantown Trolley? (www.brushhilltours.com) That is most likely the one we will be using as we are going to buy a one day Go Boston card (54.99). Best deal in town as it includes a TON of attractions for the price of the one day card. The duck tour, harbor cruises, aquarium, trolley, even whale watching...the list goes on and on. And it extends beyond Boston to include Newport RI (our ship is stopping there, don't know if yours is as well) if you want buy the 2 day card.

Regular price for the Beantown Trolley is $29.00 and also includes a Harbor Cruise. From the maps I'm looking at, it looks like stop # 18 is their closest one to the cruise terminal and is also within walking distance.

Ah, decisions, decisions. ::)

If you do want to get somewhere prior to taking an organized tour, the Silver Line, which is really just a glorified bus and not actually a subway line, stops right at the Black Falcon terminal. The cost is $2 per person, same as any other MBTA subway line (even though it is a bus, they charge the higher subway fares on the Waterfront portion of the Silver Line).

The Silver Line will take you to South Station, where you can transfer to the Red Line to downtown or other parts of the Boston area.

If you do want to get somewhere prior to taking an organized tour, the Silver Line, which is really just a glorified bus and not actually a subway line, stops right at the Black Falcon terminal. The cost is $2 per person, same as any other MBTA subway line (even though it is a bus, they charge the higher subway fares on the Waterfront portion of the Silver Line).

The Silver Line will take you to South Station, where you can transfer to the Red Line to downtown or other parts of the Boston area.

Thanks so much for this info! This is exactly what I was looking for. We bought the Boston GoCard and plan on doing the Beantown Trolley but if using the GoCard, you have to board at the main trolley station. So we need to get there fromt the cruise terminal. Shuttle price is $10 per person and there's 8 of us, so I knew there had to be a cheaper way. Even two cabs would have been cheaper, but the Silver Line will work perfect. Thanks again!

Hmm. According to their website, you have to pick up your trolley pass at their main office at 16 S. Charles Street. The closest subway stop to there is on the Green Line at Boylston Street., although it's a reasonably pleasant walk across Boston Common from the Park Street Station.

So my recommendation, if you can manage some walking and are looking to be independent, is to take the Silver Line to South Station, then the Red Line to Park Street, and then walk through the Common to the Trolley headquarters. And before you go to the trolley, cross over and walk through the public gardens, which are much prettier than Boston Common and have the famous Swan Boats, as well as the Make Way for Ducklings statues.

Otherwise, you can switch again at Park Street to any Westbound Green Line train (B/C/D/E branches) one stop to Boylston and walk from there.

Full transit information is available at http://www.mbta.com.

Hmm. According to their website, you have to pick up your trolley pass at their main office at 16 S. Charles Street. The closest subway stop to there is on the Green Line at Boylston Street., although it's a reasonably pleasant walk across Boston Common from the Park Street Station.

So my recommendation, if you can manage some walking and are looking to be independent, is to take the Silver Line to South Station, then the Red Line to Park Street, and then walk through the Common to the Trolley headquarters. And before you go to the trolley, cross over and walk through the public gardens, which are much prettier than Boston Common and have the famous Swan Boats, as well as the Make Way for Ducklings statues.

Otherwise, you can switch again at Park Street to any Westbound Green Line train (B/C/D/E branches) one stop to Boylston and walk from there.

Full transit information is available at www.mbta.com.

Thanks again for all of your help. I don't know why the trolly company is so picky about where you board with the Go Boston card. I guess they have to have the equipment to scan it.

Another question if you don't mind. We want to go to the interactive game 5WITS which is at 186 Brookline Avenue. Their directions say to take the Green line to the Fenway Stop. So I'm thinking to follow your directions and take the Silver, to the Red to the Green and do that first thing in the morning. Then we could jump back on the Green Line to get to the trolley station at 16 S. Charles.

If we do decide to go to the trolley station first, about how far is the walk from the Park street station to the trolley station through the commons?

We do plan on walking through the public gardens. They were so beautiful the last time we were there. Enjoyed riding the swan boats.

One more question if you don't mind. You sure sound very knowledgeable and I'm not questioning your advice at all, but I am a little confused. On the cruise terminal website, they talk about their shuttle that is like $10 per person. And this is what they say about the subway:

Public Transportation

The closest MBTA subway station to Cruiseport Boston’s Black Falcon Terminal is South Station on the Red Line which is about a mile away

They don't even mention the Silver Line. Are you sure it is still running and is available right there at the cruise terminal or pretty close to it? It is part of the MBTA system and it's odd they don't even mention it.

Thanks again so much! You are a life saver! :D

The silver line does indeed exist and is currently running. I don't know why the terminal website fails to mention its existence.

Going into town you should have no problem.

Going back to the Cruise Terminal, make sure you get on the correct Silver Line bus (there are three).

There is no question about the existence of the Silver Line! I take it about once a month for a job, to one stop away from the Black Falcon terminal.

Technically the Silver Line is not a SUBWAY line (although it does go underground for part of the way in a special, newly built busway -- but when you get on you'll be above ground at a regular-looking bus stop, and you'll be looking for a very long bus that bends in the middle). It is considered part of the Subway system as far as pricing goes, and transfers from the Silver Line to the Red Line at South Station are made inside the underground station and are free.

It's on the new side (the Silver Line is just a few years old and was built as part of the famous Big Dig) so it is possible that the web page that mentions the $10 shuttle hasn't been updated since then. (It is also possible that they're just trying to sell $10 shuttlebus tickets!!)

I've never heard of 5WITS, but yes, 186 Brookline Avenue is closest to the Fenway stop. However, the Fenway stop is on the "D" branch of the Green Line ONLY. My recommendation would be to take the first B, C, or D train that comes to Park Street, and get off at Kenmore Square. You then have about a 5-10 minute walk down Brookline Avenue to the address you mentioned. If by chance the first train to come is a "D" train, then you can take it one stop further to Fenway and the walk will be only 3-5 minutes.

Anywhere else you want to go on your own? You can certainly do Boston by foot and subway without getting onto a special Trolley at all! Though I suppose the trolley will have some informative "guided-tour" style information and might be fun. As a resident, I've never done one.

Oh -- Orsino mentions being sure to get on the correct Silver Line on the way back. That advice is absolutely correct. If you aren't sure, just ask the driver if he goes to the Black Falcon terminal (or "Marine Industrial Park"). You are looking for the SL2 or SL3 lines on the outbound portion from South Station. The SL1 line goes to the Airport instead -- and some buses, marked "Silver Line Way" or "Waterfront" only go halfway to anywhere and then turn around.

Finally -- there is yet ANOTHER branch of the Silver Line, which isn't connected to South Station at all -- the Washington Street corridor. The only place you want to board the Silver Line for the return trip is at South Station.

Archived