Cenotes

tjcletsgo

Can we take a taxi there? Are there excursions to the cenotes?

I don't want to get there by taxi and have no way back to the ship.

How far away is it? I guess it may be possible to rent your own car and drive there. Does anyone have any more information about the cenotes? I would love to see them.

Has anyone toured a cenote and swam in one? They look wonderful, but also kinda scarey (not a cave women!):eek:

Thanks!

I too would like to know the experince of someone who actually swam in a cenote as opposed to reading about it. I am interested in doing that in merida but like you, am looking for first hand experieces.

• 3 weeks later...
I swim in cenotes all the time! They are lovely and cool - fresh-water. Some of them are truly magical places! There are tours offered by Autoprogreso to Dzibilchaltun where you can see a great museum, ruins, and swim in the cenote.

I mostly just want to swim in the cenotes. Is there a way to do just that? Is the cenotes near Progreso a nice one? Do you know how much this tour is?

Thank you!

Hi yall, we are going Dec 8 on Carnival. We prefer to get our own excursions, not run by the ship. Will the Cenote be warm enough to swim in, in December? And we too would prefer to just do the Cenote, unless there is a Sip line right near there too. Has anyone on here done this? Or gone diving in this Cenote closest to Progresso. Would love to know which vendor is the best? As in airconditioned vehical, runs without breaking down, punctual, good pricing, etc. Thanks for everyone's help!:)

Thanks TravelGirl, Beautiful! Did you guys not swim because it was too cold? Which vendor did you use? Was it worth it? Thanks Bunches!:D

No, definitely not too cold. The weather was nice and warm, well actually hot. We booked through Carnival and it was definitely worth it. After touring the ruins, we went to a buffet lunch with local dancers as entertainment and horse show at a local ranch which was very nice. We got back to the ship in time to do some shopping at the terminal area. The ruins were very interesting with a small museum on site. I think the main reason no one swam was because we were on a schedule and it would have taken too long. If you were on your own, you probably would have time to swim.

We did the Cenote excursion through the ship. We swam in 2 different ones - they are quite lovely and magical. Very deep! Water is a nice temp.

Personally, I would not try to do them on your own. They are quite a ways away and if you got lost or had car trouble you would be SOL. It took us a good hour of travel in a nice air conditioned bus/van each way. We went through a very primitive village to get there, then had a very simple sack lunch (bologna sandwich, bagged chips etc) We then took an old railway car pulled by small horses to get into the cenote area. It is an interesting experience but if you want luxury and all the pleasures of life, don't go. The cenotes are in the middle of nowhere - you will believe you are not only in a different culture but a different time. Any questions, feel free,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would reccomend the Dizi....tour without hesitation. Last january we went on the Holiday and booked the tour through the ship. I had two young men 19 & 20, and 2 moms. It's about a 30 min bus ride to the runins, a short walk out to the main ruins (which you can climb on) and the ceynote is right off on the side. If you don't want the guided ruin tour, just get a taxi and go on your own I guess. It was HOT in Jan, the guys went shirtless climbing on the ruins (kinda a once in a lifetime thing so they enjoyed it). They had worn swimtrunks with t-shirts, carried towels in a backpack. LOTS of people were swimming the day we went. Make sure you're a good swimmer...the deep end is really really deep. My guys spent maybe an hour swimming (maybe less) because they wanted to walk the half mile or so to the Mayan temple. On Monday the museum was closed, but there were public restrooms on site, so you could always change clothes there. Was also a nice little snack bar (authentic nachos..yummm) and gift shop.

I don't have pics handy...but if you email me, I'll hunt them on the hardrive and email to you.

Tncontrygirl@aol.com

vicki

Archived