Stockholm and the Tall Ships race

I just found out that Stockholm is hosting the 2007 Tall Ships race during the time that we will be there on the Veendam. The website says

"The ships arrive in Stockholm on Friday, July 27. Over the next four days, Skeppsbron and Stadsgården will become a festival area, and visitors can board the ships, eat, drink and listen to live music."

It sounds like fun but wondered how this might impact the cruise terminals and our ability to get around the city. I wondered if anyone (especially someone living in Stockholm) might have more information.

Thanks for the help.

I just found out that Stockholm is hosting the 2007 Tall Ships race during the time that we will be there on the Veendam. The website says

"The ships arrive in Stockholm on Friday, July 27. Over the next four days, Skeppsbron and Stadsgården will become a festival area, and visitors can board the ships, eat, drink and listen to live music."

It sounds like fun but wondered how this might impact the cruise terminals and our ability to get around the city. I wondered if anyone (especially someone living in Stockholm) might have more information.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like your ship will be here on the 29th and is scheduled to dock at Frihamnen 650. Frihamnen is away from all of the Tall Ship action and is about a 15 to 20 minute drive to the main tourist attractions (Vasa, Old Town, Tall Ships etc.). It's going to be a busy day. The Star Princess and the Jewel of the Seas are also docking at Frihamnen that day, I don't know how big the Veendam is, but those other two are pretty big.

Be prepared for big crowds.

Have fun

Al

Thanks for the info. I guess there will be room for all of us.

How did you find out where the ships were going to dock? We had planned to catch the HOHO bus. Do you think that we will have any problems catching the bus since we are now at that terminal?

Thanks for the info. I guess there will be room for all of us.

How did you find out where the ships were going to dock? We had planned to catch the HOHO bus. Do you think that we will have any problems catching the bus since we are now at that terminal?

The port information for Stockholm is available here:

http://www.stockholmshamn.se/intranet/configuration.nsf/index_external.html?ReadForm&language=sv

As far as HOHO busses, I'm pretty sure they don't cover Frihamnen, it is a little bit removed from central Stockholm and there would not be much to see that would interest the normal tourist. So you'll have to find another way to town.

However, I think the HOHO boats do have a stop at Frihamnen.

Enjoy your day.

Al

I am so glad to find a Stockholm expert. Hope you can help us out on the May 30th sailing of the Rotterdam for the "Best of the Baltics". We just found out that on the day that we will be in Stockholm (June 9, Saturday) there will be a marathon that involves 18,000 people. Subways, buses, etc. are FREE to participants that day and I'm sure that many streets will be closed. I've seen a map of the race route and it covers just about every place that we hope to see. The race begins after lunch (about 14:00 maybe?) and we are trying to find out just when the streets will be closed off. I have e-mailed the race officials, but have heard no word from them. Do you think that trying to get to the Vasa Museum (by ferry, perhaps) would be possible? I'm sure that the buses and subways (and probably ferries also) will be so packed that we may not get anywhere! But, I think the buses of the ship's excursions will be stranded in traffic at closed off streets just like any other vehicle.

Help! What would you suggest?

There is more info, and websites, listed on the Roll Call Board for the Rotterdam, and specifically for the Rotterdam, May 30th.

Thank you!

B.

I am so glad to find a Stockholm expert. Hope you can help us out on the May 30th sailing of the Rotterdam for the "Best of the Baltics". We just found out that on the day that we will be in Stockholm (June 9, Saturday) there will be a marathon that involves 18,000 people. Subways, buses, etc. are FREE to participants that day and I'm sure that many streets will be closed. I've seen a map of the race route and it covers just about every place that we hope to see. The race begins after lunch (about 14:00 maybe?) and we are trying to find out just when the streets will be closed off. I have e-mailed the race officials, but have heard no word from them. Do you think that trying to get to the Vasa Museum (by ferry, perhaps) would be possible? I'm sure that the buses and subways (and probably ferries also) will be so packed that we may not get anywhere! But, I think the buses of the ship's excursions will be stranded in traffic at closed off streets just like any other vehicle.

Help! What would you suggest?

There is more info, and websites, listed on the Roll Call Board for the Rotterdam, and specifically for the Rotterdam, May 30th.

Thank you!

B.

Ah yes, the annual Stockholm Marathon, that does kind of mess things up as far as traffic goes. The city buses have to re-route, no doubt about it, and that would mean the private tour buses also have to find another way. Looking at the route map it does not look like the ferry to Djurgården (Vasa museum, Skansen etc.) will be interrupted. The Old Town, except for the street that runs in front of the Royal Palace should be unaffected by the race as well.

If it does not start until 2:00 you might be fine actually. The first lap bypasses Djurgården, so they wont be closing that bridge until much later. I'm pretty sure you will be able to see the things you want to without too much extra fuss.

Good luck.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
We are also on the Veendam which will be there on the Tall Ships day. Do you think it will be a good idea to do the Hop On Hop Off Boat since there will be so much action on the water?

I doubt the events will disturb the HOHO boats.

Al

Archived