alcohol plan and tubing excursion

newfie57

We are we are going on our first Windstar Cruise on Feb 23rd leaving from Bridgetown Barbados. We are trying to determine how much the alcohol plan costs and what it includes and whether we should do this.

Can not locate a liquor menu with pricing etc. What would you recommend?

Also wondering what people thought of the tubing excursion in Greanda.

Lastly wondering if we can get certified for scuba right on the Wind Spirit.

Just returned from that cruise - you will love it.

We did the drink plan and it's 386.00 per person (48.00 a day plus the 15% gratuity).

Most everything we wanted was included - wines by the glass up to 11.50, mini bar items, specialty drinks (i.e. cosmo, pina coladas), beer. For the single malts, only Glenfiddich 12 year single malt was included, but no other single malts. But my husband really likes Black label, and it was included. We found it a good deal for us. It allowed us to order what we wanted without having to think about the cost - I would think we broke even. Windstar also sets up a bar at Pigeon Island and Mayreau - and you can get drinks on the beach using your drink plan.

We did not do the river excursion in Grenada, but fellow passengers said it was a fun. We took a cab over to LaSagesse Nature Center (a hotel) and spent the day virtually by ourselves on a beautiful bay and had a great lunch.

Also, we got the laundry package (109.00) and it was well worth it. Every day we sent out items (by 9am) and they were back in our cabin, washed, pressed and hung by 4pm. It was a total luxury and I enjoyed it very much.

Any other questions - just let me know.

Eileen

Can't help you on the drink plan. My wife doesn't drink so having to buy for both in the cabin didn't work out. I did notice that a couple of the passengers who bought the drink plan decided they were really going to get their money's worth. Kind of made it a bit uncomfortable for the rest of us. I enjoy my beer on the deck, happy hour cocktail, wine at dinner and an evening scotch but when I totalled up the bill at the end, I was farther ahead ordering individually than if I had the drink plan. Think it is a close call.

Agree the laundry plan is a great thing. We packed super light and had clean, pressed clothes every day.

The tubing in Grenada was good. Not great. The actual course was fun but was way too short. We had tubed the White River in Jamaica and this was a quarter the trip of that one. The drive to the course is substantial and seeing the spectacular country side made up for the short ride. Strongly recommend water shoes for this trip. It is rocky and a bit tough in bare feet. The guys who run it are very friendly and fun. The drive on the mountain roads are more frightful than the tubing ride. Not sorry we did it but I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Don't think you can get certified on Wind Surf. Never saw anything indicating so and I didn't find the sports deck guys great to deal with. They were unusually standoffish for Wind Star.

Enjoy your trip. Take your sea sickness patches for the trip to and from port in Barbados. It is open ocean. Once you get to the islands you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
We are we are going on our first Windstar Cruise on Feb 23rd leaving from Bridgetown Barbados. We are trying to determine how much the alcohol plan costs and what it includes and whether we should do this.

Can not locate a liquor menu with pricing etc. What would you recommend?

Also wondering what people thought of the tubing excursion in Greanda.

Lastly wondering if we can get certified for scuba right on the Wind Spirit.

From memory from our January sailing: beers were 5.50 domestic, 6.50 imported. Martinis were $8-9, more if you used premium spirits. Other mixed drinks were about $1 less. Wines by the glass were $8-11.50.

Hope that helps.

Archived