Status of Labadee??

Anyone what the status of Labadee is? Was it destroyed or is RCCL not stopping there due to security reasons? Was curious if RCCL still had their supplies/equipment there or wether it was taken. Also curious as to what the opinion is of this board as to wether Royal Caribbean will sop at this port again by the end of the year?

Here's a post that was just made a few days ago by "tomjen1"....I sure hope that they're correct..I would love to have Labadee on my 5/21 Voyager Cruise.

Just off Explorer 4/17. While onboard there was a "higher up" from RCCL onboard. Don't know his exact position, but all the workers just said he was the boss of everybody. Anyway he happened to be talking on his cellphone one night next to us at a bar, and we heard him say after he got off the Explorer he was headed to Labadee because it was getting "set up". Wonder how soon they will go back. More from the cruise later!

Countdown to the Voyager out of NYC

Emailed inquiry to RCCL about Labadee. Got obvious form response back. It indicated that 'currently' not stopping but that might change in the future. RCCL website indicates change thru April 24th. I hope they make up their minds soon. I would like to make plans, if there is going to be a change.

5/1 NOS - Talked to RCI today. Labadee according to the person I talked to "is being rebuilt" don't know exactly what that means.

They still have not made a decision as to Labadee replacement for our sailing. He said Captain will make a decision next week. icon_confused.gif

5/1/04 - Navigator of the Sea

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I don't know where you people get your information but the scoop on Labadee is this...

RCI has ceased operation at Labadee until the political situation in Haiti sorts itself out. The site itself is TOTALLY untouched. Nothing has been damaged or looted. The Haitian workforce goes to the site everyday to maintain the site.

RCI is working very hard to reopen the site but many things need to happen before this can be done safely like having the airport in Cap Haitien opened for international traffic in case of Medivac.

RCI is striving to reopen the site by the time Voyager of the Seas leaves for her maiden voyage from Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

I don't know where we hear this stuff either, however, I have heard that it has been completely destoyed as well. We are sailing in May and it never even crossed my mind that it could be possible to go there. Thought that was a done deal for a very long time.. Guess I need to entertain that thought..

I have heard from the wife of a RCI senior ship's officer that Labadee is undamaged and some of our US troops are bivuaced there. If so, it will be left in good condition when the troops leave. If I had to guess, based on the little information in the media about Haiti and it's problems, I'm thinking fall might see a resumption of stops there.

For those who've had alternate ports on the western caribbean sailings of NOS, what was the itinerary arrangement like? I'm guessing that if the May 1st sailing has Nassau as an alternate, then the May 2nd would be at Nassau, and not a "Day at Sea" and May 3rd would be a "Day at Sea" (in place of Labadee), and that the normal route would be established for the remainder of the cruise? Is that about right?

I'm on the NOS for that week, so I'd be interested in knowing as well. icon_smile.gif

CCL Holiday- August '94

CLB Horizon- April '95

CCL Fascination- May '96

CCL Inspiration- Feb '98

RCI Majesty- March '00

RCI Grandeur- June '00

RCI Vision- April '02

RCI Explorer- May '03

RCI Navigator- Coming Soon!

RCI Voyager- Coming Soon!!!

---------------------------

Ready for Ultra-Voyager- NOW!

Hi everyone,

I got an email yesterday from a Royal Caribbean representative and she wrote the following:

The company is planning itineraries that include a substitute port of call. Currently, we are reviewing all of our options. So as for now they are not sure where they will be sailing.

• Administrators

The folks over at RCI have asked me to share the following information with all of you:

"The top priority of Royal Caribbean International is the safety of its guests and employees. Because of this, continuing unrest in Haiti, and specific recommendations of security consultants, the company indefinitely suspended its port calls scheduled for Labadee. Although this is disappointing to guests, and employees in Haiti, the company feels it is the most prudent course of action.

Royal Caribbean looks forward to resuming port calls in Labadee in the very near future. Contrary to rumors, the Labadee site has experienced no theft, looting, or damage. The Labadee site is in excellent condition. Royal Caribbean is working to return to Labadee as soon as possible, however, this is contingent upon several issues, most importantly a safe

and secure environment."

Laura Sterling

Community Manager

Up4travel@aol.com

Cruise Critic

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

"The security situation in Haiti remains dangerous and unpredictable, despite progress on a peaceful political process and the presence of foreign security forces operating under a United Nations mandate. U.S. citizens are warned to defer travel to Haiti until the situation stabilizes. U.S. citizens who remain in Haiti should take precautions to avoid the uncertain security situation in public areas."--3/11/04 US Department of State travel warning

As long as any verbage warning Americans not to travel to Haiti exists, you can imagine RCCL would be opening themselves to enormous jeopardy by resuming calls at Labadee...as long as that travel warning stands, I wouldn't count on Labadee being restored to itineraries.

http://travel.state.gov/haiti_warning.html

Archived