Embera Tour

landerslp

I was getting ready to look and book tours for my Jan cruise. The Celebrity excursion brochure lists an Embera Culture Tour when I click on the day we are there, but it is not listed when I tried to book it. I would think even if it is full, it would note that. We are in Colon from 9 - 7 so it isn't the time. Does anyone know why Celebrity is not listing it anymore? I guess we could do it independently but I am a little anxious about booking it and something should happen and we wouldn't get back to the ship on time. I was looking forward to it after reading the reviews.

Joyce

Have no idea how Celebrity works. You can book independently through emberavillagetours.com or Mario, but be sure you are going to the authentic village, not the touristy one. The gal who runs emberavillagetours.com is married to one of the guys from San Juan de Pequini village which is, IMHO, the most authentic. Both these companies are used to working with independent cruise passengers and will get you back in time. It is a full day. I could guess that if a tour is completely sold out that it is pulled off the Web so as not to disappoint, especially if they know they can't get additional space. Regards, Richard

It also could be that Celebrity sells a certain percentage online before the sailing. It has been my experience that they also hold back a portion for on board sales, so check with the shore excursion desk as soon as possible after boarding. I share your concern about a timely return to the ship and from what I have read on this board the independent operators do a good job in that regard. However, I have spent time in the area where the villages are and it is remote and alternate transportation back to civilization is not a matter of just calling a cab! If a private tour operator is your only choice then I would go ahead a go with that without any undue concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for input. I downloaded the excursion booklet for my cruise (my second download), and there are quite a few less offerings than when I originally booked. Although the Embera tour was my first choice I am just enough of a worrier to go with one of my other choices. May wait to see if anyone else on my roll call is planning a private tour to the village.

We are also doing a Panama Canal cruise with Celebrity. When we first booked there were many choices for all the ports but as time went on the offerings became fewer and fewer. We have had one excursion cancelled and I was told it was because of the tour operator. When I look at the shore ex brochure specific to our sailing dates, I see that in one case, there is a note by one of the excursions that the capacity has been reached for pre cruise bookings and to check on board for availability. So I am thinking that this is what one sees if the excursion is still being offered but only once you board. If you don't see an excursion that was once listed, it could mean that Celebrity is no longer offering it at all. I have no idea why so many excursions for all the ports have been discontinued or why Celebrity has not found replacement excursions. Maybe there are not enough tour operators available? While we prefer independent tours and have researched same for this cruise, we decided, for several reasons, to use the ship's offerings for these ports. Just wish there were better choices!

• 2 weeks later...
Have no idea how Celebrity works. You can book independently through emberavillagetours.com or Mario, but be sure you are going to the authentic village, not the touristy one. The gal who runs emberavillagetours.com is married to one of the guys from San Juan de Pequini village which is, IMHO, the most authentic. Both these companies are used to working with independent cruise passengers and will get you back in time. It is a full day. I could guess that if a tour is completely sold out that it is pulled off the Web so as not to disappoint, especially if they know they can't get additional space. Regards, Richard

Richard,

Thank you for all your great tips :) I have read your book and am so excited about our upcoming excursion with Anne next month. :D

Richard,

Thank you for all your great tips :) I have read your book and am so excited about our upcoming excursion with Anne next month. :D __________________

~Janice and Ron

Thanks guys! I know you will enjoy Panama and the trip to the Embera village. Tell them all I said hello! Regards, Richard

love-from-embera-puru-children.jpg

Archived