Shopping for Camera Equipment

Svanen81

We're going on our first ever cruise in April, RCI Serenade OTS. We just bought a new digital camera and are going to purchase a telephoto lens. I've heard of some decent deals to be had in St. Thomas and/or Sint Maarten. Does anyone have any opinions (now there's a loaded question) on either location for camera equipment?

Thanks!

A few years back, we purchased a digital video camera at "Royal Caribbean". It was a great deal then(saved atleast $200), and they were a pleasure to work with. Nowadays, I'm not sure whether they are any better than a very good internet site but check it out. Oh, they do have a website also, but not for purchasing if I remember correctly. http://www.royalcaribbean.vi

Good luck!

Interesting. I sure hope their retail prices are better than their web prices because I can beat those down at Best Buy! ;o)

That is one thing you really want to do before you leave on your cruise. Do as much research as you can, because the prices are not always that good. We bought a camcorder last year and saved about $100 on the who package that was sold, extra tapes, case and camcorder.

I'd research on the web and price them out here and in St. Thomas. Some decent web sites for camera equipment here are B&H Photo and New Egg. I'd compare their prices with the two recommended places on St. Thomas.

When I was there last I thought I'd pick up an xD card for my camera. There were no bargains to be had anywhere in St. Thomas for these cards. The prices were the same as the mainland U.S.

Hate to say it , but you'll need to do your homework before you go there. :o

Did you post the same note on the St. Maarten board? I was there some years ago and I remember seeing better prices for things there than on St. Thomas.

I've purchased a Nikon SLR body (film) and a couple of lenses from Caribbean Camera on St. Thomas, 93 Front St., and have gotten great prices. Paid $110 for a Nikor 70-300 G AF lens this January - same lens on-line, $180.

Jodi

Woops! I just re-read my post - the Caribbean Camera is on St. Maarten (address above is correct), not St. Thomas. I agree - better prices on St. Maarten.

Jodi

• 2 weeks later...

Please! Where ever you buy a camera--on the islands or off the Internet, make sure you are getting a US warranty! A lot of the "deals" out there are bad merchandise that come with foreign warranties, and then when something goes wrong, you are stuck. My hubby works in a camera store and he hears this every week.

Buyer beware!

I've purchsed a LOT of camera equipment and supplies from both Royal Caribbean and Boolchands. (Both of these stores are directly across from the ***** office) Both have great prices and we have never had a problem with any of the equipment. They do bundle in a lot of the extras which adds to the savings. Their salespeople know a lot about the different cameras and equipment available.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived