Dialysis Patients or Freedom October 28,2012 Folks

KYGal112

I have heard of a 11 year tradition of a group of high seas folks that hold a bike rally on a cruise ship and bring along 16-18 dialysis patients for a dream vacation. Bikes of each guest are not brought on board, however the focus is raising money for dialysis patients. Looks like a great cause of which they have raised a huge amount of money in the past.

I see this group sailed on Freedom October 28, 2012. The sailing included an on board firework show as part of their activities.

Question: Anyone been on one of these sailings? Intertested in knowing if this is a WILD WILD cruise or very laid back as the web site states.

Very interested in your reviews.....Thank you!

We have been on this cruise twice. The activities are closed to the general public. We have our own "cruise director" and dining room section. It is REALLY a lot of fun. Formal night is "leather". Biker bingo and 50/50s have prizes of $3,000 - $4,000 CASH. There are theme nights of 60's & pirate night (with some very elaborate costumes) and motorcycle give aways.

The on board activities are not all that wild but that changes in port. When you have 1500 or so bikers, it gets a bit crazy.

You can only be part of the group by booking through the High Seas Rally site. It costs a few hundred dollars more than booking just a RCCL cruise but includes all rally activities and a portion goes for the dialysis patients. They are given dialysis on board (free) by a staff of nurses & a doctor. The only requirement is that you ride(or rode) a motorcycle.

We have had one of the patients at our dinner table both times and can tell you that this is a worthwhile cause.

Thank you Rollingstone - Did a lot of research yesterday, even called and spoke to them. Sounds so cool.

You know the bad rap us bikers can get. I know the group we are in do many things for charity and are "normal" folks with day jobs, practices and never been in a jail...... just wanted comments on this cruise.

Great thanks,

As a cruiser, a biker and a nurse manager for a dialysis company, thank you for raising money for these patients. I have investigated working as a nurse during a dialysis cruise and think that I may do so when my kids are both in college

A great company called Dialysis at Sea gives these patients a chance to enjoy what the rest of us take for granted, a wonderful cruise vacation.

As a cruiser, a biker and a nurse manager for a dialysis company, thank you for raising money for these patients. I have investigated working as a nurse during a dialysis cruise and think that I may do so when my kids are both in college

A great company called Dialysis at Sea gives these patients a chance to enjoy what the rest of us take for granted, a wonderful cruise vacation.

When DH went on dialysis a couple of years ago, we thought our cruising days were over. My research found Dialysis at Sea and we've now done 5 cruises with them. They do an exellent job, but it is quite a bit more expensive for the cruise plus the cost of dialysis. We are fortunate to be able to afford the additional expense, but there are so many dialysis patients who cannot.

I was so happy to see that there is a group like the one Rollingstone belongs to that helps get dialysis patients onto a cruise ship to enjoy the cruising experience.

Archived