Holiday 10/4 Trip Report, Part 2

NewCruzer1

M/S Holiday from New Orleans to Playa del Carmen/Calica and Cozumel

10/4-9/2004

Day 4: Breakfast buffet before leaving the ship docked at Puerta Maya pier. Browsed the duty-free shops en route to the taxi stand, where we paid $7 to go to Dzul Ha for snorkeling from shore. First, we stowed our clothing/cameras/gear at the PalMar Beach Club across the street, where we also rented equipment. Then we hit the water.

Folks, this IS the place. We found big fish and a lot of coral despite being a poorly-conditioned, 50-ish couple. My companion had never snorkeled before, so I didn’t venture too far out myself, though it was obvious there was much to be seen in accessible waters. I didn’t think I’d ever get my friend out of the water. She loved it!

But, we did go back to the beach club eventually, where we were the only ones there (besides the pool/snack bar attendant) during our entire visit. We presented an online coupon good for admission and free chips/salsa, and ordered several soft drinks while we lolled in the lovely pool backed up by a magnificent (though unrented at the time) 5-bedroom villa. The pool had a built-in whirlpool that cascaded into the deeper water, while several fountains arched water over bathers. While we enjoyed this oasis, we observed the $45 per person tour boats pull up to the same coral heads we’d just snorkeled an hour earlier.

Alas, the Holiday sailed at 4 p.m. that day, and we also wanted to shop, too. We caught a taxi heading from the all-inclusive resort down the road just outside the beach club gate around 12:30 p.m., and headed back to the pier shopping center. Our whole excursion had cost the two of us $45, including drinks, snack, equipment rental and taxi/driver tips. A bargain to us!

We wished the port days had been reversed – we left much too much to do on Cozumel because of the early departure. We’d have loved to make it into San Miguel and/or rent a vehicle and visit Coconuts or Mescalitos on the wilder windward side of the island. If/when we cruise again to this part of the world, we will look for an itinerary with significantly more time at Cozumel.

We departed to 10-12-foot seas, which caused the last two nights' entertainment to be swapped for the safety of the dancers. We skipped the passenger talent show and turned in early after dinner and a stroll on deck (with stop at ice cream station).

Day 5:Back at sea skirting Tropical Storm Matthew. Seas approached 15 feet, and we heard discussion of some seasickness aboard, but we didn’t suffer except from an inability to walk in a straight line on the tilting decks. After brunch (slept in), we played (unsuccessfully) our only bingo of the trip, listened to the debarkation talk/instruction, and sat in on Paul Santley’s informal-but-entertaining question-and-answer session in the theatre. We just kind of lolled around – including a windy stint in a deck chair – and revisited the shops for some afterthought purchases. We packed our luggage and filled out customs forms while awaiting dinner, then headed to the foremost deck to watch the Gulf Coast and Mississippi mouth approach before enjoying an outstanding, final musical retrospective show from the ship’s entertainment company. Then off to bed.

Day 6: Breakfast buffet early before vacating cabin and heading for designated debarkation area. We were in the third group called to debark, but we found our luggage quickly and our bellman whisked us past the customs agent, crushing our declarations into her hand on the way by, and out to the curb. I retrieved the car, and we were loaded and on the road by 9:30 a.m.

New Orleans turned out to be our longest port call, since we planned another night at the Doubletree Lakeside before driving back to Tennessee. We first drove down the Mississippi River to Oak Alley Plantation, then had lunch at a homespun, roadside Creole/Cajun country store/restaurant before returning to New Orleans and checking into the hotel.

Dinner was on the balcony overlooking Bourbon Street at Johnny White’s Pub & Grille, followed by a shopping stroll through the French Quarter and coffee and beignets at Café du Monde. (We returned the following morning for pictures and to visit the French Market.). Then, finally, home.

Notes:

 Besides the above-stated desire for a longer stop in Cozumel, we’d do few other things differently. However, while we enjoyed our dining room companions and meals for the most part, we probably wouldn’t take all our dinners in the dining room again unless we really loved the menus. On a couple of nights, we were non-plussed by the offerings, though we managed to find something. On the other hand, we were impressed by the buffets’ quality, even if the selection was somewhat limited and repetitive. We’re steakhouse sort of people.

 We just don’t understand people who come home with (primarily bar) Sign & Sail tabs in four figures. The two of us combined totaled just under $300, including duty-free liquor and gift shop purchases. We’d rather spend the money ashore in port, where we seemed to get more bang for the buck. We felt like we got a great cruise deal (barely $80 per person, per night, even after taxes), so why negate it by being a spendthrift onboard?

 We found the Holiday to be a very comfortable ship. While we have nothing to compare it to, being first-time cruisers, we found little to fault. The crew was working on her constantly. Even commodes (including ours, which worked fine before and better after) were replaced with new ones on our deck, at least, during the port days. Our service in the dining room was competent and understated, though perfectly cordial and enjoyable. For example, our assistant waiter greeted us elsewhere on deck when we ran across her while she performed other duties. Our cabin service crew included an apprentice, so sometimes things were slow and required us to make a request, but we always received what we needed in a friendly manner.

 Tipping. We had no problem with the up-front $10 per day S&S charge, and did not adjust it. We personally distributed additional amounts each to our waiter and assistant at our last dinner, and the cabin service crew. We never used the bar waiters, but ordered ourselves from the bar, leaving nominal tips for the bartenders. But, we had a split vote on the only additional gratuity overtly suggested (in the Capers newsletter) – that for the maitre` d on the final night. I preferred not to tip since we’d made no request of him and he provided no direct service to us (He didn’t even perform when the wait staff entertained us, but just introduced them.). My companion offered a modest amount on her own.

 So, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly, and will likely cruise again – maybe even on the Holiday (Mobile is even closer to us than New Orleans). A lot will simply depend on cost and schedules – we are not folks of extravagent means, and we seldom have common vacation times. But, if we can, we will. And, we’re glad we did this once, in any case.

Hey, great review! Glad you enjoyed your first cruise.

As for your question about how a S&S bill can be high, some people (aka me) enjoy spending a cruise liquored up with a lot of cha ching, cha ching background noise and paying someone else to drive.

The Holdiay holds a soft spot in my heart, our honeymoon almost 20 yrs ago. We now are sailing for the 2nd time, & have chosen the Inspiration for our 20 yr anniversary. We love the fact that we will be in Cozumel from 7AM to Midnight & have already reserved our car rental & have our coupon for Palmar Estates. We too plan to go to Dzul Ha to snorkel so thanks for the great review. Hope we have as good a time as you did.

Archived