your own alchol on board

Doxie

No. They will take it from you at the check in and get "rid" of it. We brought our supply in our checked luggage and it was fine. 4 litres of "meds" were in our cabin before diner.

We also found out that stores in different ports will sell your a large bottle of water empty it and pour your purchase into it. We walked on in St. Martin with another 3 litres to replenish our cabin bar.

Also, purchased "meds" in the ship store on Thurs. and the delivered it Fri morning so we had "meds" for Fri. Good luck.

St. Thomas...May 2004

outta bourbon...must got get ICE TEA at drug store...pour tea out, buy bourbon....left in 3 ice tea bottles....n/p....right thru checkpoint...Same with alcohol that is white...bottled uh, "water" allowed LOL. Have fun...and ABSOLUTELY...checked { locked} luggage for "goodies"....I tape the lables, but use the plastic containers so many are now supplied in...not to say we did not have an $800 SS card bill...LOL also, look for the happy hours....a great deal margarita night...LOL

Have fun :D

Pack it in your checked luggage... many of the various liquors are available in a plastic bottle these days, which is what we used (original containers).... Most just pack it in their checked luggage and I have heard less than a handful of people that have had it confiscated... the worse they will do is remove it, so just in case, leave the nice bottle of Louis at home :D We took 2 bottles plus many mini's, we brought home almost 2 full bottles (we just never felt like walking back to the cabin, LOL)...

Doxie

I noticed from another thread that you are sailing on Destiny. Im planning on waiting until I re-board the ship, after walking around Old San Juan, to get most of my liquor at the Duty-free store in the cruise terminal.

Here are a few comments that are posted on the Destiny Thread re: the duty free shop.

Micdee

As far as purchasing liquor, we checked in and then went back to the store. Bought a bottle of Absolute and 2 six packs of beer. I put it in my beach bag and had no problems getting it on the ship.

ToniH said:

We got in line, which was long however we were on board in an hour. The line moved very fast. We did receive a flyer for the liquor store which was just inside the entrance to the cruise terminal, so after going to our room and dropping off our carry on's we went back to the cruise terminal and bought liquor. My Husband bought a very large size of Tangerey for $9.00, me and my girlfriend bought 2 bottles of flavored rum for $15.00 and my girlfriends husband bought a large bottle of Gran Marnier for $10.00. Very cheap and they do ask your cabin # when your purchase and then tell you put in it a carry on bag. My liquor went through the scanners but they didn't blink an eye.

Also found this from Lena's Review:

We were by the pier by 12:30 and we’re in our cabins by 1:15pm. Embarkation was a breeze!!! We dropped our stuff in our cabins, and walked back off the ship to go buy some liquor at that little liquor on the pier. They had free samples outside to taste the different liquors and what have you. Needless to say, after about 10 or so free shots…things got kind of hazy and bought about $100 bucks worth of booze and smuggled them back on board!!!

So as you can see security will pretty much give you a free pass. But, if you would feel more comfortable just pack it in your checked luggage.

This is the tackiest thing I ever did but boy did I save a fortune! I love white zinfandel and so I packed an enormous boxed wine wrapped in plastic bags and towels in my checked on luggage - hey I was worried about the glass breaking too much - I still cringe thinking about it!

Needless to say, I enjoyed glass after glass of wine (all week) while getting ready for dinner and took some out to the deck in the evening while watching sunsets - left a lot behind but for 15 bucks, it saved me hundreds if I would have drank all that wine at dinner and ordered room service while getting ready..

"You might be a redneck if you smuggle boxed wine on a cruise ship!" :D

And trust me our bar tab was still up there!

We smuggled in the booze in our regular suitcase. Of course we did it in the port of NYC and the amount of luggage they had on board was phenominal. We did bring along a plastic bottle with a zippered pouch and freezer thingy, which we forgot to use up at the pool (darn it). This time we will fill it with booze before going up to the pool. Ours is from Rubbermaid, but many sports bottles are out there with their own covers and freezer pouches.

--Joanne

Celebrity Zenith 10/2003

coming Fall 2004: Fasincation

• 2 months later...

I usually just get some vodka/gin/rum and put it in water bottles and put it in my carry on or my checked luggage. My goal for this year is to bring on as much beer as humanly possible. That would save me 3 and some change a beer.

Too bad I'd have to walk down to the cabin everytime I want one :( Maybe I can hide some around the ship so I dont have to walk as far??!!

Ok, I hear all the tips but... when I check it as a cooler, do I tape it shut? How do I check this cooler? I am only a beer drinker so my bill would rock all week. So I say again, when I have the cooler full of beer, how do I check it? Thanks ahead of time, I need all the help I can get..:p

We picked up 2 twelve packs of beer (cans) when we arrived in Cocoa Beach (Port Canaveral) and packed it in a small rolling carryon type suitcase we brought along just for that reason. I cushioned it with bubble wrap (Staples) and then a trash bag and put it with our checked luggage for embarkation.

We also brought 1 quart of gin (in checked bag) and two liters of tonic (in carry on ... "allowed" beverage) I suggest if you bring a cooler ... rolling or otherwise, pack it with clothes, shoes, etc. ... anything but booze ... just for embarkation!

We had no problems and we still gave carnival a fair share of money!

Ok, I hear all the tips but... when I check it as a cooler, do I tape it shut? How do I check this cooler? I am only a beer drinker so my bill would rock all week. So I say again, when I have the cooler full of beer, how do I check it? Thanks ahead of time, I need all the help I can get..:p

I have heard of people checking coolers or cases of beer still in the boxes wrapped in brown paper. Seems a little bold for me. I still feel the need to try to conceal it a little, at least. I always pack my beer in a suitcase and bring a medium (12 pack) soft cooler also packed in luggage. I have heard that there are now coolers that look like luggage. Must get me one of those. Anyways, slip your room steward an extra $10 and you will have a cooler full of iced beer all week. If your room steward is extra, extra cool, he will empty the cabin fridge and you can chill your beer in there. Unlike some of these posts, I have had problems carrying on booze in some of the ports. It can be done, but is not a given. Just check what you can on embarkation and look at anything carried on at ports as a gift. When you do carry on booze from ports, remember this. There is usually a guy screening baggage, and about 30 feet away, a guy checking liquor to be delivered to your room on the last night. These two guys don't communicate with each other. The screener just tells you to check your booze after he x-rays your bag, then trusts you to do so. You can just walk on by if you feel lucky or split up the bottles either in his and hers carry on bags or carry some openly and carry one or two bottles in a beach bag and check some of the booze and carry one or two bottles to your cabin.

We just got back yesterday from Carnival Pride. We had three couples and all of us had bottles of liquor in our bags. I had two bottles of kahlua and two bottles of wine and both the other couples with us had bottles. We zip tied our bags when we got to Long Beach terminal, so maybe that made a difference, but none of our bags were searched. Our cabin guy brought us mix and ice and kept...

Be sure to put your alcohol (unless wine) in your checked luggage. We put ours in there AT the terminal since I didn't want to have it broken on the plane...I just swapped some stuff from suitcase to carryon and put the liquor in checked bags. They really throw your bags around, so be sure to bubble wrap or equivilent.

We take Vodka in water bottles. Captain Morgan in Iced Tea bottles. Green Apple Pucker in Mountain Dew bottles. Red Pucker in the Red Mountain Dew bottles. Just go with what the color of the liguor is. They don't even give a hard second look at it. The bottles differ in color a little from the alcohol but we never had to give it up. Good luck and have a blast.

By the way, we carried ours in a backpack on the ship. No checked luggage here. I want clean smelling clothes, plastic bottles can burst.(even in an airplane) As glass can break. Have you ever watched the guys handle your luggage????

We always bring an extra suit case the size of our pillows. i put one pillow on the bottom of the suit case and several bottles of booze and soda on top of the pillow then top it with another pillow and have never had a broken bottle. make sure the bottles do not touch or put them in bubble wrap.........this way you also have your own pillow to sleep with.......I have read on these boards of people bringing blenders and all sorts of stuff and have a full bar in there room....saves alot of money..........

Archived