Need info on Caribbean Princess

MarciaD

My family have been on four cruises, all Carnival and we loved every minute. The ONLY reason I'm straying is because we'd like to visit a private island and we'd like to see what the difference is between Carnival and a different cruise line. The price is also a factor. Caribbean Princess has a price of $899 on Orbitz for next June. So, if anyone can help me out with a little comparisons and also fill me in on an island called Princess Cays, I'd be very appreciative. Marcia

I think you will love the CB. Here's a link to my very long review of it from last year when we were in R405, Riviera Deck:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=49514

We loved the ship so much, we just got back from a second cruise on her to the Western Caribbean, June 4-11, in D316. Here's the review of that one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/show...ghlight=monk888

And here are some great shots of the CB taken by nicecara including the delicious lobster buffet:D:

http://community.webshots.com/slide...1206&key=ygHrvX

And if that's not enough, check out this site re the CB:

www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com

Princess Cays is a beaufiful private island, at least the tip of one, that you anchor off of for the day. You tender into its own mini-port. There are all types of water activities including snorkeling, etc. There is also a large BBQ with all the trimmings, free of charge, and loads of freshly cut up fruit.

Enjoy!

Marcia-

The price on Orbitz seems a little high. I booked 10/14/2006 Eastern Caribbean in a BB Cat Aft Balcony for a $821.00pp including all port charges and taxes with a $50.00 cabin credit too. Do some shopping around before you make a commitment. We can't mention specific TA's, but do some shopping.

Maria,

I WOULD NOT plan your trip around Princess Cays. We just got off the CB yesterday and that is exactly what we did. Regretfully the ship never made it to the island. We have two teenagers and they were very disappointed, as were we. We had multiple items rented at the island and great plans for a day at the beach, which never happened.

While planning the trip we knew we would have lots of beach time at Princess Cays so we did other excursions in St Thomas and St Maarten. It is still unclear to me when the captain and crew knew we had serious problems, as we would have done some beach time in St. Maarten if we had known.

My claim to fame is that we traveled from California to the Caribbean and never set foot on one of those beautiful white beaches.......and by the way Princess has decided that a day at Princess Cays is worth $100.00.

I cruised on the Princess Grand with my former GF who had been on Carnival three of four times prior to our Princess cruise. She felt that the food was a notch higher in overall quality on Princess (we ate only in the dining room not in the buffet) rated the level of service as comparable and felt that the decor/ambiance of the Princess ship was more elegant, understated, classier and less flashy than Carnival.

On the downside she felt that the on-board musical entertainment (the bands and performers in the various lounges) was much better on Carnival (it would have to be - the lounge acts on Princess were really lame on my cruise).

I was a bit underwhelmed by Princess Cays but I had no specific expectations going into it. I think that for most people the term "private island" conjurs up some fantastic visions of a Tahitian style paradise that is somehow very private. Princess Cays does have a nice beach and some uncovered pavilion where they serve an "okay" buffet lunch but you'll be sharing the beach with a couple thousand other people give or take several hundred. And the snorkeling was pretty mediocre. I did enjoy our time on Princess Cays but I'd focus on researching other island stops in which you can grab a taxi or rental car to get to a more secluded beach away from where the ship docks. Such spots exist on most of the islands where cruise ships stop - you just have to do your research to find them.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. The cruise we are looking at goes to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, plus Princess Cays. It gets harder and harder to find new places to visit and the islands all start to look alike. We've been to Montego Bay, but not Ocho Rios, so that will be new. Been to Grand Cayman twice, but it's beautiful and would do Stingray City as kids were too small to really enjoy the last time. Been to Cozumel and that is also very beautiful. I guess we were just all looking for a different experience, but we love Carnival so much, not sure it's worth the chance. Once thing I did notice about Princess was the "drive-in" theater experience. Is that as fun as it sounds? Thanks again, Marcia

The Movie Under The Stars (MUTS) was the best! I would go again on Princess just to have this experience again. I was a little disappointed with Princess Cays. Too rocky and difficult in the water. After 3 hours I went back to the ship to use the pool.

$899 high for June?...I think not....it's very expensive during the summer...Oct is a whole different story...can't compare apples to apples

I stand corrected. I don't cruise inthe summer and didn't realize the huge difference in price! Gives me another reason to stick to spring and fall cruises.:D :D

hOPE YOU don't mind my jumping on this thread but we are also considering CB for next summer versus Carnival. We sail with our two children (18 and 21 next year) - what is the age group line on Princess in the summer?

Thanks,

Kathy

Archived