Food and Liquor in rooms

Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal - Feb. 20/2005. Sailing with our best friends. Our 6th. cruise and their 3rd. First time on RCL and on the Legend. Have been cruising the review sites and a good percentage say the food is average at best? In fact, some say it is downright terrible. Can anyone provide some info. We've never been on a cruise with average food and 14 days is a long time! Also, we hear varying reports re whether you can bring liquor on board with you on this ship. Any info? Many thanks.

We sailed the Legend to Hawaii last May. We had a wonderful time on the ship, she is a bit older and has had some wear but she's not bad. Especially in a balcony cabin for 11 days.

Booze if found will be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise. If you dont say anything you probably can take it rigth on board as I did one bottle of wine. I understand that speciality wine is allowed but charges might be made in the dining room.. Beer, i have taken it aboard, bought it in port and taken it to our cabin for use there. Soft drinks are also allowed/water.. Food, why bring food. you got that around the clock.... Most ports dont want you brining it on land and the ship doesnt want you bringin on board.. Health reasons.. The food that is served is good, not as good as some high dollar continental restaurants but good.. some dishes are very good and some may not suit you. Just order another. The service is what should be impeccable and it usually is. If not, tell the head waiter and get relief ASAP.

WE bought flowers in Hawaiian market and made a beautiful arrangement for $5, looked like a $75 one at the pier..

We have enjoed every cruise and look forward to the Explorer in Dec. Be happy to answer any questions.

LRSkier

Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal - Feb. 20/2005. Sailing with our best friends. Our 6th. cruise and their 3rd. First time on RCL and on the Legend. Have been cruising the review sites and a good percentage say the food is average at best? In fact, some say it is downright terrible. Can anyone provide some info. We've never been on a cruise with average food and 14 days is a long time! Also, we hear varying reports re whether you can bring liquor on board with you on this ship. Any info? Many thanks.

Good to hear from someone sailing with us!!!! This will be our first time on RCL and we are traveling with friends also!! Be sure and sign up for MEET & Mingle!! You can pack your liquor in your checked baggage (seal in zip lock bag) or you can purchase onboard to take back to room(duty free prices +$9.50 consumption charge) this is what I plan on doing!! Maybe a small bottle in suitcase for drinks early on. I think you will get all kind of responses on food from great to terrible......Learned long time ago ......if I order something and don't like it .......try something else....they will give you anything and as much as you want that is on the menu. Love trying different foods so I always have hit and miss!!! :D Think postive and you'll find away around the "terrible"!! :)

I understand that they have changed the menu again since our March 8th sailing so I can't speak to how food is now. We didn't starve.

Things that we liked:

1. made to order omelets especially in the buffet - really fresh and delicious!

2. the vegetable curry - which we ordered as a second entree. It was just plain yummy

Things we did not like

1. The limitation of selections. In the past there was always a beef entree, a chicken entree, a fish entree and another meat entree. On March 8th often the only beef available was the infamous ranch "steak". I DID, however enjoy the alternative salmon or Cod on several occasions.

2. No rolls on the table. You had to wait for the assistant waiter to get around to passing the bread - which sometimes did not happen.

3. The general decline in menu quality. For example lucious loin lamb chops were replaced by a roast. The roast wasn't bad - it just wasn't great. The chops used to be a high point in the cruise menu. Also there were lesser cuts of beef with the alternative menu sirloin replaced by that infamous ranch steak.

4. I constantly have to fight my weight. I save sweet indulgences for special times like cruises, weddings and holidays. There were few things on the menu that tempted me. I didn't gain weight on that cruise. That is good news, as I don't have to struggle to loose it but I DID miss the chance to be bad.

I hope I send this off to your correctly. I must admit I am new to a chat room situation. Spend hours on the computer for business but little for recreation. I appreciate the info. I don't want to do anything that is not allowed, but I drink a specific kind of Scotch and I doubt I will get it on board. We'll see what happens.

We sailed the Legend to Hawaii last May. We had a wonderful time on the ship, she is a bit older and has had some wear but she's not bad. Especially in a balcony cabin for 11 days.

Booze if found will be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise. If you dont say anything you probably can take it rigth on board as I did one bottle of wine. I understand that speciality wine is allowed but charges might be made in the dining room.. Beer, i have taken it aboard, bought it in port and taken it to our cabin for use there. Soft drinks are also allowed/water.. Food, why bring food. you got that around the clock.... Most ports dont want you brining it on land and the ship doesnt want you bringin on board.. Health reasons.. The food that is served is good, not as good as some high dollar continental restaurants but good.. some dishes are very good and some may not suit you. Just order another. The service is what should be impeccable and it usually is. If not, tell the head waiter and get relief ASAP.

WE bought flowers in Hawaiian market and made a beautiful arrangement for $5, looked like a $75 one at the pier..

We have enjoed every cruise and look forward to the Explorer in Dec. Be happy to answer any questions.

LRSkier

Hi folks - it is also great to hear from someone who will be on the same ship. I was very excited when I received your response and we have all agreed that it would be fun to meet some other folks on the ship. This will be our 7th. cruise and we've certainly travelled a lot, so I am not really concerned re returning food etc., but more concerned that we have started to hear and read quite a few negative reviews about the food on the Legend. I have to admit, that we all enjoy a well cooked meal and 14 days of tough chicken, tough porkchops, a steak that is called something like rancho beef and is supposedly absolutely disgusting is starting to cause a bit of concern. The truth is we will just have to wait and see what happens and quit stressing about it. In any event, we are all counting donw the days and can't wait to be onboard. Keep in touch. Is the meet and mingle worth bothering with? If so, we will sign up for sure!

Good to hear from someone sailing with us!!!! This will be our first time on RCL and we are traveling with friends also!! Be sure and sign up for MEET & Mingle!! You can pack your liquor in your checked baggage (seal in zip lock bag) or you can purchase onboard to take back to room(duty free prices +$9.50 consumption charge) this is what I plan on doing!! Maybe a small bottle in suitcase for drinks early on. I think you will get all kind of responses on food from great to terrible......Learned long time ago ......if I order something and don't like it .......try something else....they will give you anything and as much as you want that is on the menu. Love trying different foods so I always have hit and miss!!! :D Think postive and you'll find away around the "terrible"!! :)

Hi there - Many thanks for taking the time to respond. You had some great info. You mentioned that you had heard they changed the menu again. I was thinking that it is probably a likelihood that RCL staff monitor this site to see what is being said. If that is the case, perhaps they are starting to get the message. I appreciate the detailed info on what is good and will put it to good use - especially the detailed info on the famous or should I say infamous "steak of the month". We all fight out weight too but have been trying very hard to eat with a more healthy attitude and avoid all that " white" stuff so the bread is not an issure. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's just that it is a lot of money and a long time to be captive to a dining room that is at best average.

I understand that they have changed the menu again since our March 8th sailing so I can't speak to how food is now. We didn't starve.

Things that we liked:

2. the vegetable curry - which we ordered as a second entree. It was just plain yummy

Things we did not like

1. The limitation of selections. In the past there was always a beef entree, a chicken entree, a fish entree and another meat entree. On March 8th often the only beef available was the infamous ranch "steak". I DID, however enjoy the alternative salmon or Cod on several occasions.

2. No rolls on the table. You had to wait for the assistant waiter to get around to passing the bread - which sometimes did not happen.

3. The general decline in menu quality. For example lucious loin lamb chops were replaced by a roast. The roast wasn't bad - it just wasn't great. The chops used to be a high point in the cruise menu. Also there were lesser cuts of beef with the alternative menu sirloin replaced by that infamous ranch steak.

4. I constantly have to fight my weight. I save sweet indulgences for special times like cruises, weddings and holidays. There were few things on the menu that tempted me. I didn't gain weight on that cruise. That is good news, as I don't have to struggle to loose it but I DID miss the chance to be bad.

We were on the Legend in May in Hawaii and on her in 99 thru the Canal as well. I won't say the food quality was less this time than last, but definitely felt the selection of items was more limited. And we were disappointed in the dessert selection and sometimes quality this time. It's pretty A-typical for us, but several nights we just had the ice cream of the night because none of the other options sounded appealing.

Things that we liked:

Things we did not like

Just got off the Navigator.

1. They stopped putting rolls on the tables because of germs and infections passed on by passengers and those who do not wash their hands. As you will also notice the plastic ice bucket is also gone for the same reasons.

2. On the Navigator we had lamb chops, many of them. No ranch steak as rccl stoped serving it due to passenger complaints. They had several choices for dinner.

3. They also offered sugar free sweet indulgences. I enjoyed many.

I hope you enjoy the food on rccl as I did.

Keep Cruising

RCCL does not specifically disallow taking alcohol on board. They state in my docs "Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to limit or refuse to allow alcoholic beverages to be brought aboard ship for consumption during the cruise vacation." I took 3 bottles of wine on board, packed in bubble wrap and plastic sealable bags. (legend of the seas 8/08/04) No problem! I appreciate the fact that they don't prevent those who don't over do it. (And the corkage fee, for those who want to take their own wine to the table is no worse than local restaurants. Though mine never made it to the dining room ;) ) It's not like our bar bill wasn't more than enough anyhow!LOL!

Hi folks - it is also great to hear from someone who will be on the same ship. I was very excited when I received your response and we have all agreed that it would be fun to meet some other folks on the ship. This will be our 7th. cruise and we've certainly travelled a lot, so I am not really concerned re returning food etc., but more concerned that we have started to hear and read quite a few negative reviews about the food on the Legend. I have to admit, that we all enjoy a well cooked meal and 14 days of tough chicken, tough porkchops, a steak that is called something like rancho beef and is supposedly absolutely disgusting is starting to cause a bit of concern. The truth is we will just have to wait and see what happens and quit stressing about it. In any event, we are all counting donw the days and can't wait to be onboard. Keep in touch. Is the meet and mingle worth bothering with? If so, we will sign up for sure!

Don't know anything about Meet & Mingle, just some fellow passengers told me to sign up!!!!! LOL The way I see it if it's doesn't work out we can have our own!! :D We are in a Grand Suite (8006) and from what I have read on this site there is plenty of room for a get together!! We'll just pool our resources (liquor) and order up some snacks and get to know each other or we can arrange to meet at one of the bars. I have been on 5 other cruises and my husband has been on 2. All of ours have been with NCL and we have had a wonderful time despite all the negatives about them. We have really met some super nice people from all over the world. Look forward to meeting ya'll (yes, we are from the south) !!! :)

RCCL does not specifically disallow taking alcohol on board. They state in my docs "Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to limit or refuse to allow alcoholic beverages to be brought aboard ship for consumption during the cruise vacation." I took 3 bottles of wine on board, packed in bubble wrap and plastic sealable bags. (legend of the seas 8/08/04) No problem! I appreciate the fact that they don't prevent those who don't over do it. (And the corkage fee, for those who want to take their own wine to the table is no worse than local restaurants. Though mine never made it to the dining room ;) ) It's not like our bar bill wasn't more than enough anyhow!LOL!

As long as the bottle is well wrapped and in the middle of your main luggage it's no problem with RCCL. What they don't want is someone bringing on ALL the booze they're going to drink onboard. If you're sensible and bring just a bottle for your cabin then I'm sure they don't mind. You'll still be buying drinks in their bars so they still make a profit from you.

From the royal caribbean website:

Life Onboard

Are ATM machines available onboard?

Are physically challenged facilities available onboard?

Can cribs/rollaways be provided in my stateroom?

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

Can Passage or a Booking Request Be Refused?

Do you offer Special Occasion Cakes?

I am booked on two consecutive sailings. Will the menus and entertainment be different from one week to the next?

Is Internet access available from the ship?

Is there a licensed medical staff onboard?

What are the dress codes onboard?

What does a Purser do?

What electrical voltage is offered onboard?

What is security like onboard?

What is your smoking policy?

What type of special meals does Royal Caribbean offer?

When are your next auditions to become a Singer or Dancer in Royal Caribbean's In-House Production Shows?

Who do I contact if my onboard purchase is lost or damaged?

Are ATM machines available onboard?

All ships in the Royal Caribbean fleet have ATM machines. There is a $5.00 per transaction fee plus any other fees the guests financial institution would charge.

Are physically challenged facilities available onboard?

All ships have physically challenged facilities available onboard.

Can cribs/rollaways be provided in my stateroom?

Royal Caribbean provides Pack and Play's for use onboard. Pack and Play's are similar to a playpen. Cribs are no longer provided.

Pack and Play's specifics:

For use by children unable to climb out, less than 24" tall, and less than 30 lbs. Mesh on four sides Sets up in less than one minute Strong and stable, yet lightweight Approx. dimensions 28"W x 38 7/8"L x 31-1/4"H Mattress/pad is 1" thick Sheets are provided Folds for storage and includes carrying bag with handle

Pack and Play's should be reserved in advance so that we are sure we have enough onboard.

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases. Should you choose to consume alcoholic beverages purchased from the Shops On Board, a consumption fee will apply at the time of purchase. Note that no open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into dining areas or public areas.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.

You are fortunate to have your cabin number already. I have checked with our TA but have not heard back. We have booked a balcony room, so I am pretty sure we are on the 7th. Deck. Do you know how we can e-mail each other without having to go through this message board. It would be nice to chat before we meet but I don't know how to go about it. I'm not to keen to put info about us on such a large site. Your idea about getting together sounds great. We are travelling with another couple and they are lots of fun. We're all in our 50-60 range but young at heart.

Don't know anything about Meet & Mingle, just some fellow passengers told me to sign up!!!!! LOL The way I see it if it's doesn't work out we can have our own!! :D We are in a Grand Suite (8006) and from what I have read on this site there is plenty of room for a get together!! We'll just pool our resources (liquor) and order up some snacks and get to know each other or we can arrange to meet at one of the bars. I have been on 5 other cruises and my husband has been on 2. All of ours have been with NCL and we have had a wonderful time despite all the negatives about them. We have really met some super nice people from all over the world. Look forward to meeting ya'll (yes, we are from the south) !!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rivercityal - I've tried to e-mail you clicking on your profile but it says you have requested not to receive e-mails. Go to my profile and send me an e-mail as I have said it is okay to receive. Sorry to be so long getting back but I am having a little trouble finding my way around this site and seem to lose postings. Time is getting closer!

• 4 weeks later...

guys, the $9 charge doesnt make a bottle of booze cost more that you will probably pay back home. We bought absolut for 9, crown for 16, baileys for 10 so the extra nine for you sippin bottle isnt bad at all.. dont worry, bring me beer.. ha

LRSkier

• 3 weeks later...
Hi rivercityal - I've tried to e-mail you clicking on your profile but it says you have requested not to receive e-mails. Go to my profile and send me an e-mail as I have said it is okay to receive. Sorry to be so long getting back but I am having a little trouble finding my way around this site and seem to lose postings. Time is getting closer!

Please send me an email as I have gotten a new computer and have not been able to transfer my address book from the old one. So please email me so I can have your email on my new one!!!! :D

Archived