Will ORLANDO AIRPORT BE OPEN (okay) tomorrow?

I think you will be ok as long as MCO doesn't have winds over 50 MPH. BTW, Orlando's airport code is MCO due to the fact that the county was originally named mosquito county, but the local Chamber of Commerce pushed for a better name and the county was renamed Orange County. MCO stuck though. :)

Better be checking the tropical weather sites. I believe most of the Fl penisula is under hurricane WARNINGS. That's both coasts. That is not good. Hope you have good travel insurance. Seems I've heard that the airport at Pensacola already is closed. I could be wrong. Call your airline ASAP.

hdawson,

Orlando is about 35 miles inland so it doesn't fall under the coastal warnings and they aren't that high on the east coast anyway. If anything, Orlando, like us, would fall under an inland wind warning which has not been issued to my knowledge.

Fort Lauderdale should be ok by tomorrow afternoon, I would imagine, as the storm should be by them by then. The only problem may be sorting out backed up flights. It will probably cause delays throughout the state.

Keeping in touch with the airline is always a great idea, IMHO, no matter what the weather is.

Chances just improved since Denis just took a jog more to the west. As soon as he comes back over water he's expected to resume the NW track. Earlier I heard that even Melbourn would have tropical storm force winds tomorrow. Good luck to all our Fl friends.

hdawson,

Orlando is about 35 miles inland so it doesn't fall under the coastal warnings and they aren't that high on the east coast anyway. If anything, Orlando, like us, would fall under an inland wind warning which has not been issued to my knowledge.

Fort Lauderdale should be ok by tomorrow afternoon, I would imagine, as the storm should be by them by then. The only problem may be sorting out backed up flights. It will probably cause delays throughout the state.

Keeping in touch with the airline is always a great idea, IMHO, no matter what the weather is.

Thanks for the info & help!! My DH keepd telling me it will be OK!! Lets hope!! Again, SAFE travel for ALL!!:)

For everything you would ever want to know about the storm, go here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The wind probability pages on that sight are rather informative.

The Orlando Intl Airport is about 75-80 miles from the Gulf Coast. Squalls and heavy thunderstorms will be all over FL, with tornado watches and warnings over the next couple of days. It wouldn't surprise me to see flight delays due to bad weather caused by the feeder bands of hurricane, the center of which is supposed to pass about 200 miles W of Tampa. The current wind projection charts show the wind, from the hurricane, getting no more than 5-20 kts in the Orlando area.

I wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship anywhere in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday or Sunday. The ride might be kind of like a roller coaster.

The only hurricane warnings for FL right now are for the FL Keys.

Ken

You're in good shape.

The way we look at it is that if they're leaving the Space Shuttle on the launch pad then we're ok. (they are)

Still, this time of year thunderstorms are common, everyday occurances. Delays can and do result.

Archived