Just Back, Crown Hurricane Abbreviated Bermuda Cruise

Dolphins

Just returned today (9/11) from our Norwegian Crown Bermuda cruise which was interupted by Hurricane Nate. We had fairly choppy seas sailing to Bermuda but two beautiful days in St. George and Hamilton. Before leaving the ship in Hamilton on Wednesday, we were advised by the Captain that Hurricane Nate, south of Bermuda, was expected to reach Bermuda on Thursday and the Crown may be forced to sail Wednesday night and all passengers must be back on board by 6PM. During the day Wednesdasy we were advised that Bermuda had ordered all ships to leave that evening. We sailed about 7PM and the Captain sailed west at high speed to place as much distance between us and the storm. It was a little bumpy Wednesday night but Thursday was sunny and the seas had calmed somewhat. We were advised that no alternate ports were available and that the Captain would attempt to provide us with sea days under the best possible favorable conditions. Friday and Saturday the seas were so calm the ship just drifted and we enjoyed the warm sunny weather. We heard that Hurricane Nate had only skirted Bermuda but there was still 50 knot winds and rain there on Thursday so our departure was a wise one. We were all disappointed to have our stay in Bermuda cut short but I think Capt. Ronny Borg handled the situation as well as he possibly could and three calm sunny sea days were the best we could hope for. Despite Nate, we really enjoyed the cruise and hope to post a detailed review soon.

Nate turned south just in the nick of time so Bermuda was brushed by the egde of it. It absolutely poured in Bermuda Thursday morning, and while the winds weren't treacherous it would have been difficult to keep an umbrealla open, so even if you had stayed you probably wouldn't have left the ship. You were better off enjoying the nice weather at sea. :cool:

I am glad you enjoyed it. Do you know if anyone got left behind?

To my knowledge, no passengers were left behind. They were told before going ashore in Hamilton Wednesday morning, they MUST be back on board by 6PM. Many encountered passengers ashore from Celebrity's Zenith and Horizon, also docked in Hamilton, who had no knowledge of the hurricane or that any ships were planning to leave that evening. Celebrity personnel were seen scurrying about looking for their passengers.

Nate turned south just in the nick of time so Bermuda was brushed by the egde of it. It absolutely poured in Bermuda Thursday morning, and while the winds weren't treacherous it would have been difficult to keep an umbrealla open, so even if you had stayed you probably wouldn't have left the ship. You were better off enjoying the nice weather at sea. :cool:

Couldn't agree more. Not only did the Capt. make the right decision, he managed to get the ship to a calm sunny area despite the fact there were two hurricanes in the Bermuda triangle at that time.

Dolphins,

Is there any way that you can post your review on this board? I am leaving this Sunday on the Crown and would love to read it.

It seems that it takes forever for them to post it on the review board.

Thanks

Dolphins,

Is there any way that you can post your review on this board? I am leaving this Sunday on the Crown and would love to read it.

It seems that it takes forever for them to post it on the review board.

Thanks

Sorry, when I submitted it, I lost it and can't retrieve it. A few suggestions:

DINING: Avoid Chopsticks. Have as many meals as possible in the Seven Seas Restaurant- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner. The food and service provided by Maitre 'D Edgar (formerly of Dawn) and his staff are the best.

ENTERTAINMENT: The young, energetic and talented Jean Ann Ryan Company are not to be missed, especially Chelsea, James, Sarah and Theo. Singer George Solomon and duo Sharkbait were also excellent.

DANCING: If you like ballroom dancing, don't miss the only two nights the Amon Orchestra plays for dancing in the Stardust Lounge.

If you have any questions at all, just ask. Enjoy the cruise.

I failed to mention in my review trhat our concierge Belky set up a nice location for our cruise critic meeting on Monday morning in the card room adjoining the Lido Bar. There were refreshments and both the Cruise Director Mike and the Hotel Director Jacques attended to welcome us. We were disappointed that only 8 of our 14 roll call members showed up? We never did get to meet flwok, CharleneNY and Sailaway.

Go to Cruisecritics Review site, enter Norwegian Crown and you will find it under Member's Reviews.

Got it....never looked that far up the page b4.....again duh!

Nice review....sounds like you had a great time in spite of early departure from Bermuda. Better calm seas and sunny skies than strong winds and rain, EH?

On a different note Dolphins (or anybody), did you hear any murmurs about CROWN leaving NCL at the end of the year and going back to Asia? One of the other reviewers mentioned this. I am booked on her June 11th to Bermuda, so unless they do a late change, I guess it's not happening.

M.

Got it....never looked that far up the page b4.....again duh!

Nice review....sounds like you had a great time in spite of early departure from Bermuda. Better calm seas and sunny skies than strong winds and rain, EH?

On a different note Dolphins (or anybody), did you hear any murmurs about CROWN leaving NCL at the end of the year and going back to Asia? One of the other reviewers mentioned this. I am booked on her June 11th to Bermuda, so unless they do a late change, I guess it's not happening.

M.

I have the new 2006/7 brochure and Crown is most definately still operating right through into 2007 according to the itineraries published...including the South American ones like I am doing this year.

I failed to mention in my review trhat our concierge Belky set up a nice location for our cruise critic meeting on Monday morning in the card room adjoining the Lido Bar. There were refreshments and both the Cruise Director Mike and the Hotel Director Jacques attended to welcome us. We were disappointed that only 8 of our 14 roll call members showed up? We never did get to meet flwok, CharleneNY and Sailaway.

Hi. Sorry we missed the meeting..my wife became very sick after breakfast on Monday. We also missed the Latitudes meeting. She did not feel well until Tuesday.

..Sounds like you had a wonderful time:)

We'll be on the Crown to South America on Nov. 5..As of now there are only 8 of us on our Roll call..We'll be sending an e-mail to passenger courtesy, prior to departure, to plan for our CC meet/greet on our first sea day (Nov 6)..Since our cruise is so long, we all will be busy on departure day trying to get everything unpacked, exploring the ship, muster drill, etc..

Believe the Card room will be filled with Bridge Players on our first sea day, so wonder if you might have another suggestion as to where our CC group could meet..

Thanks again for your review..We are all getting excited about our cruise..:)

Betty

Serendipity1499- We planned to have our CC meeting in the Lido Bar but the ship had something scheduled there at that time so they put us in the card room adjoining the Lido. There are several card rooms so if you contact the staff about your meeting they will set one aside with a sign "Private Party" as they did for us. Hope the entertainers we enjoyed will still be on board for your cruise.

Captain Ronny Borg is the best at keeping passengers informed as to weather and sea conditions. Pay attention to his updates, especially when sailing around Cape Horn so you can take the proper precautions against motion sickness. Enjoy your cruise and we look forward to your comments when you get back.

Thanks for you review Dolphins, I read it on the other section of the site. Crown sounds exactly my sort of ship and I am literally counting the days away til my taxi collects me to take me to the airport for my first section of three to fly from the UK to Santiago.

I have a feeling this will be the very very best Christmas/New Year ever :):):):)

• 1 month later...

Now that the leaves have changed color, fallen on the ground, and frost has hit - it's time to really appreciate our cruise this past Sept. We had a wonderful time. To the Dolphins, Patty & Dave (sorry I haven't been in touch yet), and all the others we met online before the cruise who made the trip extra special: Here is a link to some of the photos taken that week (including the honeymoon reception and cast of characters):

(Includes a few of owner's suite 1008)

http://community.webshots.com/album/470364710ZvQTYL

Hope y'all have a great holiday season.

E&J&Smokie

Just back from the Jewel 11/01/05 - booked the Crown - Panama Canal

for April 2007. Crown was our first NCL Ship. LOVED IT - also loved the

Dawn, and the Jewel - love freestyle.

Just wanted evereyone to know she will still be sailing April 2007.

Nancy

Archived