Hurricane Jova Heading Towards Hawaii

Hawaiian

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a huge hurricane (Jova) now located 600 miles Southeast of Hilo, Hawaii and heading NW. This category 3 hurricane has sustained winds of 115 mph with gusts up to 140mph.

If anyone is cruising on NCL's Hawaii based ships this weekend, be prepared for rough seas here in the islands and possible diversions.

Right now the forecast track has the storm heading in a more northerly direction but unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet. If it stays on it's present course, it will be affecting the Big Island on Friday. I haven't seen anything on CNN/FOX news about this hurricane, probably because everyone is focused on Katrina and Rita, but Jova has the potential to make a mess of things here in Hawaii. Let's hope not!

Aloha,

Matt

I wanted to share the latest update on the storm from the Central Pacific Hurricane Center based here in Honolulu.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/HFO/TCDCP3

It does look like it's starting to veer more northerly according to our local newspaper.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/09/21/news/index8.html

Aloha,

Matt

Sometimes I wonder if the major broadcasters know that Hawaii is one of the United States of America. When a hurricane is in the Gulf or Atlantic they can't stop talking about it (and for the people in the path that is a good thing) but I never hear about hurricanes in Hawaii/West Coast.

That's good news about Jova. There's also Kenneth (cat 4) and Max, and both should weaken and not be a major threat to the islands.

Is there so little coverage because landfall for a hurricane on Hawaii is rare while landfall on the mainland is much more frequent?

Lightbulb you hit the nail on the head I think. Not only are severe hurricane's rare in Hawaii they do not pack the same punch. Perhaps it is due to the water not being quite as warm as in the Atlantic. Whatever let us just hope this season ends soon. As many of us know the hurricane season starts in June and official ends Dec 1st, but most of the strong storms hit between late Aug and the first part of October. We can hope Rita will be the last major one this year as she moves away from shore we hope anyway. NMNita

Sometimes I wonder if the major broadcasters know that Hawaii is one of the United States of America.

We're all used to it here! I gave up hope on this subject a long time ago. It happens on almost a daily basis. I'll watch CNN or FOX news and hear the weather person say "and now a look at our nation's weather" and they'll show the map of the continental US without showing Alaska and Hawaii. It happens ALL the time! Another example would be this past Monday night when the New Orleans Saints were in NY to play the Giants and before the game, while singing the National Anthem, they unfurled this giant US flag shaped like the Lower 48 states and again, Alaska and Hawaii were no where to be found.

Oh well!

Aloha,

Matt

lightbulb03,

When large hurricanes such as Jova approach the islands, they always have a big impact on the seas around the islands here. I live on the East side of Oahu and there is currently a high surf advisory now for all East facing shores. I would imagine the channels between the Eastern most islands would have VERY rough seas for the next few days.

NMNita, like you said, severe hurricanes near the Hawaiian Islands are indeed rare, but they are certainly not weaker than Atlantic hurricanes! A category 5 hurricane in the Pacific is just as strong as a category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic. Every year we are threatened by hurricanes here in Hawaii, but they almost always pass safely to the South. The last devastating hurricane to strike our shores was on September 11, 1992 (yes 9/11 has added meaning here in Hawaii). Hurricane Iniki destroyed the island of Kauai with a direct hit. The island is still recovering to this day. Here is a link about Iniki:

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/HurricaneIniki.html

Aloha,

Matt

lightbulb03,

When large hurricanes such as Jova approach the islands, they always have a big impact on the seas around the islands here. I live on the East side of Oahu and there is currently a high surf advisory now for all East facing shores. I would imagine the channels between the Eastern most islands would have VERY rough seas for the next few days.

NMNita, like you said, severe hurricanes near the Hawaiian Islands are indeed rare, but they are certainly not weaker than Atlantic hurricanes! A category 5 hurricane in the Pacific is just as strong as a category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic. Every year we are threatened by hurricanes here in Hawaii, but they almost always pass safely to the South. The last devastating hurricane to strike our shores was on September 11, 1992 (yes 9/11 has added meaning here in Hawaii). Hurricane Iniki destroyed the island of Kauai with a direct hit. The island is still recovering to this day. Here is a link about Iniki:

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/HurricaneIniki.html

Aloha,

Matt

I guess 9/11 would be a double whappy for you. I didn't mean to imply a cat 4 or 5 wasn't an damaging in Hawaii, what I meant to imply is you do not see as many 3,4 and 5 as the warmer waters on the Atlantic. I hope Jova is nothing. This season has to come to an end soon we all hope. NMNita

Archived