What Island have been Hit Hard by the Hurricanes?

luv_cruzn

We were in Grand Cayman this spring (2005) and it was hit really hard by Hurricane Ivan there is a lot of destruction still showing, but the beautiful caribbean crystal clear water is the reason you go there, so other than seeing the trees down on one side of the island, you can still enjoy a wonderful day there. Also this year, Cozumel and Cancun were SLAMMED by Hurricane Wilma. She was out there cranking for 24 hours at a category 5 strength and they showed a lot of destruction. However, again, usually the reason you go to the caribbean is to enjoy the beaches and the water, so you should still be able to enjoy both. For example if you go to Cozumel to snorkel, the waters should still be crystal clear. Mostly these islands recover fairly quickly because the storms don't stay ashore long. They tend to pass over pretty quickly. I just came back from Jamaica and they usually don't get hurricanes because of the mountains there. Hope this helps.

i don't believe that hurricane season starts until september at the earliest. I've cruised from Boston to Bermuda in July and it was fine. (And I tend to get seasick pretty easy!)

I would only be really concerned if you were looking to book a cruise in late October, or November.

The new forcast is out now, usually comes out in Nov. check out: http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/. Really good site.

Season actually starts in June ends in Nov. But usually don't see any until late Aug or Sept. and usually over with by end of Sept. Remember that hurricanes can happen any month, but mainly in summer eary fall due to water temps.

Last year when we wer going in Oct. night before cruise Wilma was a Cat 1, we woke up to see it had gone up to a 5. At first thought about not going on cruise but then decided to just board up the house and go. Would have to board up anyway so just did it. Plus wouldn't have to try to figure where to go to get away from it. We were fortunate to only have tree limbs down.

Besides all the lines will make changes to cruise if a hurricane is headed for one of the stops. They want to make sure both passangers and ship are safe.

Just decide when you feel it is safest for you and you will have a great time.

Nancy

Archived