Regarding Hurricane Season...

ronandannette

First time to Florida and we're planning the Wonder for August 27 - 31. Would it be likely to storm at this time? I've understood hurricane season to run late September to mid-November, but since the rates are down for this week I'm really starting to wonder. Also, are American kids back in school by this time? Our school years run from September to July and we will still be on holiday. Does that account for the lower rates? We'll also be in Disney World for the first part of that week - will these issues impact that? Your information is appreciated.:)

Hi, The schools start at different times according to where you live in hte U.S. On the east coast the kids go back in the first week of August, but on the west coast they go back the day after Labor day in September. I dont know about the other states.

WDW will be busy in August guranteed.

You should have hot humid weather with afternoon thunderstorms which do help to cool it down some. The thunderstorms usually dont last very long, but they really dump rain when they come. WDW sells rain ponchos for the occassion for a few dollars. You can get one at Walmart for about 3 or 4 dollars. WDW is $5 I think and they are yellow with Mickey on them.

As far as hurricanes go you cant predict them that far out, but last year wasnt too bad. So the odds are in your favor for that.

The ships just sail around any storms that may develop at sea, so no worries there either, worse case scenerio is you can't go to the ports you would of gone to and you will have extra sea days, in which case they have lots of special things they have for you to do, just in case.

At WDW use the fast pass system and get to the parks a few minutes before they open up so you can get started right away before the crowds pick up. You'll be amazed how much you can do in a day if you plan it out and use fast passes.

we live by WDW and we are there all the time, so if you have any specific questions about it, please ask and i will try to answer them for you. Plus if I dont know I can probably find out since one of my sons works in guest relations at WDW and he is knowledgible about lots of stuff.

mom x4,grandma x4

Crowd-wise this is not a bad time to go to WDW. In the States schools generally start up the third or forth weeks of August, with some traditionalists starting after labor day. However there is a new trend to start the 1st or 2nd week of August, so in recent years August died down in regards to crowds.

Weather-wise: It is hot and humid in August and huricane season does kick into gear in late August. The only impact would be if a huricane is bearing down on central Florida on you embarkation or disembarkation day, or a day or two before disembarkation day which could close the port for a few days.

Archived