RCI Asia cruises - has anyone been on one from here?

Hi all

Myself and my husband have been toying with the idea of an Asian cruise with RCI, but this statement on the itinerary page of the online booking intrigues me -

"Please note: This product has been sold almost exclusively to guests from Asia; therefore services and products have been added to accommodate their cultural preferences in terms of food, beverages and entertainment. While English language assistance will be provided, the local language will be the primary language spoken on board. Please check with your local consulate or embassy regarding visa requirements."

We are Brits, and not new to RCI, we really like the line and of course appreciate that these are Asian cruises and therefore will be for the local market, but I would be concerned about not being able to understand the announcements! Just wondered if anyone has sampled one of these and how they compare to the cruises departing the US and UK. If it helps, we do like Asian food (as far as Asian with a UK twist goes :D)

Really interested in experiences - many thanks in advance!

I haven't sailed on an RCI ship of out of an Asian disembarkation point, but, my friends who have done so, loved it. It sounds like it may be just the thing for you, since you enjoy the cuisine and aren't concerned about the cultural aspects. Sounds like it may be a great added benefit to experience this uniquie situation. You talked me into it !! :)

I hope to read some first hand experiences on this thread.............

Hi,

We were on Legend of the Seas out of Shanghai in April (Pearls of the Orient). We stayed at the Bund Riverside the night before the cruise, which gave us a day of sightseeing and shopping, and boarded the ship the next morning, not knowing quite what to expect. Apart from more Asians than you would normally find, we really found no differences at all!

The Windjammer had lots of Asian food at lunchtimes, which we enjoyed, but announcements were few and far between and mainly in English. Plenty of Brits, Americans and Australians on board. Can't comment on the shows as we didn't go to any. Loved everything about the cruise, my only disappointment being that we missed the cherry blossom! Would happily do it again. Though that volcano erupting a couple of days before we were meant to be coming home rather put a dampner on the whole experience, but thats another story!! Go for it - I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived