wine carried on board?

winediva

Officially, Celebrity reserves the right to limit (forbid) you to bring wine on board. Practically, they don't normally enforce it for a few bottles. I have in the past stuck a bottle or two in my carry on for consumption in my room. I normally order wine from the ship at dinner if I choose. There is a corkage fee---$12 last I checked.

As I stated on another thread, I was on Horizon when a winery owner brought 8 cases on with no problem! I usually take 4 to 6 bottles in carryon. I travel solo so don't need so much. And I never carry what is on the wine list as this is not a cost saving, but rather an opportunity for me to enjoy wine I like as the Shira listings are limited to two and the wine I prefer with my lobster in also not carried.

Thanks for the info. My experience on other lines is similar. I usually bring 6-10 bottles on board from my cellar in various carry on luggage and no one seems to blink. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to wheel on multiple cases, though. Gotta have Champagne for the room before dinner! And of course, I always take care of our cabin steward accordingly.

When I was getting on Zenith in April I saw people carrying on cases of soda and water, not in carryon, just in the cardboard flat it comes in. Now that I would not do!

As for the winery people, there were, I think 4 couples so they probably split it up. I didn't see anyone driving a forklift to get thier wine onboard! Not yet, at least!

We brought on 3 bottles of wine, only sent 2 to dining room. Corkage fee was $20 but sommelier didn't charge us in lieu of a tip at the end (his suggestion). He also recommended a $21 bottle of Chardonnay from Chile one night instead of the 2 glasses of wine we ordered (which would have been $16). The Chardonnay was excellent, we plan to buy it to enjoy at home. And I think we will not bring wine on board in the future because the corkage fee is so high (we used to pay only $8).

The Head Sommelier should be Mike by now, I think.

He was on Horizon, went on vacation and then was going to Zenith.

I'm still wondering about this $20 corkage. I have never seen this anywhere and it certainly wasn't $20 in June. Since he was 'making a deal' I wonder if he exagerated the price?

My husband called the lobby to check on the fee and was told $20. Our wine steward asked us if we were aware of the fee and asked us how many bottles we brought on board. He then didn't charge us the first night and told us he would take care of it at the end. Then the last night he said he wouldn't charge us and we could just give him whatever we felt like.

My husband is also the single malt scotch drinker, myself rum, we are thinking of doing the well protected packed luggage. If it makes it fine. If not, we will order on ship. We only want to have a drink or two while getting ready for dinner at the late seating or maybe on the veranda at midnight. Otherwise, we plan on drinking their drinks.

Thanks for all of these great comments.

We love wine with dinner every night, but is sounds like we will just order what they have.

Patti

:) What do you make with that? Mixed drinks or shots?

Never had any.

Anyone wanting to bring wine, please do. There will not be a $20 corkage. It states right on the X site $12. Print it out and take with you. I take wine every trip, 4 this year. Always carry wine. Even if it was, just open in your room, ask cabin steward for glasses and take a glass with you! :)

If you know anyone who orders wine shipped to them ask them to save you the packing. I have a two bottle styrofoam deal that I pack in the middle of my suitcase if I want to take liquor onboard. Wine I put in carryon.

:) What do you make with that? Mixed drinks or shots?

Never had any.

Straight baby :) It's almost like a liquour.. very yummy.. DH was pissed :)

It made it from Mexico to LA where we spent a couple of days at Disney, make it home to the Vancouver Airport..but couldn't last the 15 minute cab ride from the airport home. The vancouver cab driver had a handycap van with all those metal runners in the back..through in the case... and smash!!

Now of course it was my DH's stupidity that put it in the checked luggage to begin with, I thought he had it in his carryon!!

Archived